Horrific Violence in Today's Movies.

by ohiocowboy 25 Replies latest social current

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Most of the things described in the movie aren't even shown btw! None of it is drawn out for a long time and NONE of it is glorified. Pretty much those scenes are the only intense violence (the rest is pretty much just car chases and a few punches) and a lot of the movie is talking, making decisions, etc. The movie is hopeful. It shows that people can be kind and unselfish, even in dire situations, that people like the Joker can't always win by hurting others, that even "bad" people can do the right thing. It offers a lot more than violence, but the violence was IMO neccesary to contrast with other scenes and characters. We can't pretend that life is all sunshine and puppies.

• watson
    watson

Woops, I was referring to "Rises". Non stop violence.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What rebel8 said! I simply cannot for the life of me understand why people find such crap entertaining. The video rental shops are absolutely chocka block with the most sordid, nasty violence and it seems to get worse as each year goes by.

• Diest
    Diest

It is all economics. You can be terribly violent and get a PG-13 rating. If you have a breast showing for too long or female orgasm you get an R rating. PG-13 movies can be viewed by many more people and are way more profitable than an R rated movie.

Europe has the exact opposite way of rating movies, sex is more permissible and violence gets the higher rating.

If you are interested in how the MPAA rates movies, you should watch the 'This Film is Not Yet Rated' on Netflix.

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

I'm a horror movie nut and generally don't have problems watching violent TV and movies (translation: I'm someone who 'finds such crap entertaining'). It's really difficult to explain why watching explicit fictional violence is entertaining, but generally these kind of movies can be a bit of a cathartic release, or provide a safe rush. I've always had an interest with our mortality and the darker aspects of humanity since I was a kid, and violent movies are a safe way to indulge that interest without hurting anyone. A lot of these movies and TV shows also tell very compelling stories, with interesting characters, and the violence is absolutely necessary to the story. For me, movies where only pleasant things happen, where there is no real conflict, and there is always a guaranteed happy ending are not entertaining nor thought-provoking. It's kind of like the Simpsons episode where the Itchy and Scratchy show was completely sanitized so that every episode focused on nice things like drinking lemon-aide and giving each other presents. The kids were so bored they started playing outside instead. For the life of me, I can't understand how people can find rom-coms or Adam Sandler movies entertaining, but I'm not going to accuse them of being 'sick bastards' because their tastes run differently than mine.

The thought of real people suffering and being hurt is upsetting and something I wouldn't wish on anyone. But an actor being covered in makeup and red-coloured corn syrup can make for a good time.

If violent movies upset you, then you are well within your rights to not watch them. My boyfriend can't handle them, so I don't watch those kinds of movies around him. As for me though, I'm going to stick with my Cabin in the Woods, the Sopranos, and yes, the Dark Knight.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Loved Cabin in the Woods! And no, it didn't make me want to (pick horrible way to die) anyone.

Diest: " It is all economics. You can be terribly violent and get a PG-13 rating. If you have a breast showing for too long or female orgasm you get an R rating. PG-13 movies can be viewed by many more people and are way more profitable than an R rated movie."

Let's not even get started on male vs. female nudity. (Ewan McGregor and Michael Fassbender ftw!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit