New York - Washington - Oregon - Anyone?

by pmljohn 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• pmljohn
    pmljohn

It has been a few years since I last reached out, so here I go again. I was pretty much raised JW, from a very early age. My dad was always an elder, usually the main one. My mom, was/is the atypical JW wife and mother. We moved all over the country, all in the name of "going where the need is greater." My sister and I both exercised critical thinking, mainly the "thinking" part, and joined the rest of society, in "the world." Needless to say, we are both happy, sane, disease and drug free, responsible, hard working, thinking human beings. All the things we were warned about, that would happen if we dared question or worse, leave, never happened. It really is like "opposite day."

However, I do wonder if any of the "friends" I grew up with, are on here. I was leading a double life from as early as I can remember. Which meant, that those "friends" I had, usually were doing the same thing. Some are still in. I hear the stories from my parents. But I have to think some came to their senses, like I did. That some, had brains. Otherwise, why was I hanging out with them, doing all the sh$$ I did, with them? I would love to hear from them. So, if you lived in or around Cutchogue NY, Tacoma WA, or Beaverton OR, I would love to hear from you. Perhaps we knew each other. Perhaps we were even friends. And maybe, just maybe, we can share some awesome stories about the awesomeness of our upbringings.

• InOregon
  • Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

InOregon, try google chrome.

• Magi
    Magi

From Oregon too pmljohn, close to beaverton. Would be nice to have an apostafest in portland sometime. I know quite a bit of old jw friends that woke up too and are out and would love for all of us to do a get together. If anyone knows when a hookup in Portland can happen, let me know. :)

• pmljohn
    pmljohn

Magi - It would be kind of interesting to get together with a few ex's. I did not spend a lot of time in Beaverton, living the lie, so I may not know many or any of those out there. A lot of my family is still in, including here in the Beaverton area. But for those that might be lurking, that lived in or around Peconic NY or Tacoma WA, and perhaps knew my folks, I would love to hear from you. My memories from my childhood are spotty, almost like I lived through some kind of trauma, and blocked chunks out. Go figure. My uncle was a CO for my whole life. My dad was the PO forever. Our family was always going to unassigned territories, working at The Farm or Brooklyn, and doing hall builds around the area. Needless to say, I had a lot of interaction with many people, and cannot remember much of any of it. Hence the desire to possible hook up with some, who, like me, came to their senses and started thinking for themselves, and acting like real, decent human beings.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Magi you have a P.M.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Pmljohn,Congratulations to you and your siblings for escaping the cult. So glad you are able to block out the bad and live happily ever after. Just curious, do your uber Dub parents shun you? Are they ashamed that their efforts to bring you up in the "dicipline and mental regulating" (brainwashing) failed?

• pmljohn
    pmljohn

3rdgen - To answer your questions, they went both ways. When my sister first decided to "move on," they called their friends at Bethel, to see what they could and could not do. Imagine, raising your child from infancy to adulthood, and then asking relative strangers in another part of the US, for help on whether to talk to your kid or not. WTF? My parents, especially my day, have always treated those in NYC, traveling overseers and Gilead members the same way that normal people might treat a movie or music star of their choice. A definite glorification of the position, more than the person. We had Bethelites at our home every weekend when we lived in NY. We hosted the CO visits, repeatedly. We ate at Bethel, more than we ate at regular restaurants. The push for my sister and I to go onward and upward in the "org" was strong. So, it really was not much a surprise that my parents reached out to these same people for help on how to deal with their children.

The advice was to limit association. That worked, for a short while. The main issue was that my sister went on to be a successful writer and lawyer, making a high income. She went to two universities, earned several degrees. And my parents, like many JW's, choose to pioneer, and move around the country to where "the need was greater." They had/have nothing, and they need the financial assistance my sister can now, with education and focused hard work, can provide. So, like so many religious folk, when they need something, they will compromise their values. So, we interact with our parents. My sister provides assistance they need. Myself and my family, we are available to assist them with rides, mechanical support, meals from time to time, etc. We all get along, but we all know there is a "disappointment" that permeates their interactions with us. They need us, but deep down, they still beleive that if they could just cut us off, we would come around. The logic of that message, perpetuated by the JW Org, is beyond ridiculous. There is no critical thinking or individual thinking done by either my mom or dad. They accept any and everything the Org tells them. My dad still reaches out to the NY Crew, not so much for advice, but for the star-f'ing aspect. He loves that group, for what they are. And I can say, that many of the ones I interacted with as a child and young adult, made me see the hypocrisy, clear and defined. But, that is another story.

They are disappointed in our course we have choosen. I have tried to discuss my choices, but it is like arguing with a wall. They won't change their minds, and I have to respect that. I only have asked that they do the same for me. My dad cannot help making comments from time to time. My mom invites me to the memorial every year. I have started telling them that I will attend the memorial, if they come to Thanksgiving dinner. Just a dinner, but on Thanksgiving. So far, we are at an impasse. It is sad, but everyone has the choice to make for themselves, and I have to respect the choice, as ignorant as it may seem to me, that my parents have choosen.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

i used to live in Federal Way, does that count?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit