For those still in, what makes you feel like a witness and what doesn't?

by Hermano 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Hermano
    Hermano

I've noticed when I exercise regularly I feel thin, regardless of my weight. This led me to think about how behavior, thoughts and feelings are tied together. So for those of you still in what activities or thoughts make you feel like a Witness? On the flip side what things do you do or think that make you feel not-so-much like a Witness?

• Conan The Barbarian
    Conan The Barbarian

I am still in, and can't answer that question. I don't feel like a JW and I am not happy, but I have been doing thiis for so long I just have a feeling to keep on doing what I am doing.

• Hermano
    Hermano
    I don't feel like a JW and I am not happy, but I have been doing thiis for so long I just have a feeling to keep on doing what I am doing.

Interesting Conan... by "this" I assume you mean JW activities? So it's like you're on auto-pilot?

• Emery
    Emery

Great question.

Things that make me feel like a Witness:

• I still view political affairs the same way as JWs do.
    • The non-belief of Hellfire, the state of the dead, and the Trinity still reside strong in me.
    • Still very cautious of association that leads down the wrong path socially and spiritually.
    • Still will not celebrate holidays like Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc.
    • Still believe in Jehovah and Jesus Christ.

The things that are not so witness like:

• I don't believe in a 2 class system of christians.
    • I am a Non-fundamentalist. I dont believe the bible is entirely the infallible/inerrant inspired word of God (but still a believer)
    • I no longer hold a judgemental attitude towards the world. If Jehovah is a fair and just God how could he destroy people because of their ignorance or because they didnt want to read a religious recruiting magazine?
    • Many spiritual persons have existed throughout history who believed in the Trinity, Hellfire, and etc. To think people will be destroyed because of their understanding/interpretation of scripture in an imperfect world is ridiculous.
    • Birthdays are no different than wedding/marriage anniversaries. I probably still wont have a cake and candles but I believe its fine to give gifts.
    • Don't believe the world is gonna end in a battle of Armageddon.
  • Hermano
    Hermano

That's quite a list Emery. Thanks for your feedback.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

This is an interesting question...

I'm "still-in" physically although some things are coming in place where my interaction with JW's will be minimized:

- Like Emery, I'm skeptical of most politicians.

- I realized that you have good and bad traits in everyone..."worldly" or not.

- Spirituality is much more important than religous affiliation.

- Never could understand why the WTBS couldn't have engaged in activities to help the less fortunate.

- I don't feel like I missed anything by not celebrating birthdays ect...

...there are more stuff, but I'm just in from work, so the brain is shutting down

Kool Jo

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

Conan, you deserve better. I hope you can break free with some of your dignity left. I did after nearly 5 years, and things are slowly getting better. Best of luck.

nowshekNose

• Hermano
    Hermano

Sounds like you are finding yourself your Kool Joe. It's always good to know there are people who are in but are guided by their conscience and their own principles.

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

I'm pretty much just like Emery, which a few extras:

I have mixed feelings about birthdays. A lot of people use the birthday thing to get attention...it makes them look really self-centered. I wouldn't go around announcing it, but if someone wants to throw something together for me (small get-together, party, or something private), I would have no problem with it - I'd actually enjoy it, just like I used to.

I also have mixed feelings about some holidays like Christmas. I wouldn't go back to celebrating it (because I see it as a waste of time and money) but I would not mind accepting gifts.

As it stands right now, voting is merely a conscience issue according to the WTS (although many JWs don't know that). I've never been a registered voter (since I was too young before I was a JW), but I wouldn't mind voting. I live in the country, and the person elected will directly affect my life in the coming years, so I feel that I have a say.

I wouldn't grow my beard out, because I have curly, thick hair and to me it looks bad when it's long, and it's not the most comfortable feeling. But I'll definitely be more relaxed about it.

Concerts, maybe. I'm not really a wild crowd type of guy though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit