Awesome religious quotes in TV and Movies

by jworld 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jworld
    jworld

I always seem to come across funny and thought provoking quotes about religion in TV and movies. I thought I would share two of my favorites. Does anyone else have a favorite?

From True Blood Season 1:

Sophie-Anne: Maenads are sad, silly things... the world changed centuries ago and they're still waiting for the God who comes.
    Bill Compton: Does 'he' ever come?
    Sophie-Anne: Of course not. Gods never actually show up, they only exist in humans' minds, like money and morality.
    Bill Compton: If I can't kill her, how do I get her to leave Bon Temps?
    Sophie-Anne: She has to believe she successfully summoned forth Dionysus in hope he will ravage her and quite literally devour her until she is lost into oblivion.
    Bill Compton: So she seeks death? The true death. The only thing she has evolved beyond.
    Sophie-Anne: You know they're really not that smart, these maenads.
    Bill Compton: So how does she summon this non-existent god of hers?
    Sophie-Anne: I never said he was non-existent. I just said he never comes. She believes if she finds the perfect vessel, sacrifices and devours part of him or her, plus surrounded by the magic of her familiars then her mad god will appear. At that point when she willingly surrenders herself to him...
    Bill Compton: That's the only point she can be killed.

(I absolutely love this one...Gods Never show up!)

From Brideshead Revisited:

I don't mind the art. It's religion I can't stand. The Italians seem unable to paint anything half decent without putting Christ dying in it.
    (JW's prefer scene of people dying at Armageddon :p)
    ---------
    It's not Lady Marchmain's fault. Her God has done that to her. But surely you're Catholic, too? Yes, but a different sort. It's different in Italy. Not so much guilt. We do what the heart tell us, and then we go to confession.
    (oh what the God of JW's makes them do. Funny how each religion has their own version of God)
  • glenster
    glenster

Lee Marvin has some funny lines in Paint Your Wagon but about the only clip I
    ever find on YouTube is Wanderin' Star. I like it but Warner Bros. won't allow
    the full movie.

Dave Allen on Religion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9Urk

Herod's Song to me is a funny way to put Herod across, but I like the original
    LP version better than the movie version which seems kind of lame in comparison.

More seriously, Mortimer Adler (author of How to Think About God) made a good
    appearance on Firing Line years ago. I'd recommend the book short of a clip of
    the full interview.

S. Colbert and J. Stewart can be both bright and funny about it.
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/223957/april-06-2009/colbert-s-easter-parade
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-april-9-2012/faith-off---adapting-passover

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit