Candace Conti - Preparing For The Appeal

by Joe Grundy 33 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

No doubt, WTBTS NY will appeal this to the best of their ability, and they have almost unlimited financial resources behind them.

I wish I was in a position to fund Candace through the appeal, but I'm not, nor I am cognisant with California law or the general fedaral law in US.

But I was a police officer in the UK for 30 years, 10 of that as a commander of a Fraud Squad, member of the National Working Group on Fraud, Europol, etc. I did spend some time in the US working with FBI on a joint case.

My point is this. I've read through some of the court papers including depositions and the one that stuck in my mind was the dep taken from the witness who worked in Bethel and was asked about 'collated data' re child abusers. (It's been referenced here, but I can't link to it).

I understand that the dep was taken by Candace's lawyer, or someone on the team, but it failed to produce the evidence properly because it didn't ask the questions in enough depth (common failing).

For example:

Is there a procedure whereby congregations report disciplinary committees to WTBTS?

Are those reports filed?

How are they filed?

Is the subject matter of the discipline noted?

etc., etc.

It would not be hard to get to the point that reports of child abuse COULD be identified.

The point of this post is that even though WTBTS have the financial resources (they think) a goood investigator going through their published papers and their personnel could blow the whole thing apart.

And here is a genuine offer (I don't make less than genuine ones): I'd be happy to travel to CA and assist Candace's team (my expense) if it would help.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Very nice gesture, Joe.

What I am hoping is that some civic-liberties law entity (ACLU?) can assist her to sustain the case when it goes to appeal.

And that the Watchtower ends up paying for their appeal and her defense of the appeal.

• sir82
    sir82

Are there no ex-JW ex-elder trial lawyers out there?

Someone who is intimately familiar with JW judicial committees and procedures?

That would be the ideal attorney for this (or any similar) case.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Are there no ex-JW ex-elder trial lawyers out there?
    Someone who is intimately familiar with JW judicial committees and procedures?
    That would be the ideal attorney for this (or any similar) case.

Indeed, but such a person would be a very rare breed of an ex-JW. It seems to me that some libertarian law firm experienced in this field would be the best for this case.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

sir82: The secret, the 'knack' in doing this is to 'play dumb' - get them to explain it to you as if you undertand nothing. Except you do (from research) and THEN you ask the 'beam me up scottie' questions.

Worked for me. Oh, and KISS. Juries love that.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I'm not suggesting that Candace's lawyer was in any way deficient.

Just offering a hand, is all.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I'm not suggesting that Candace's lawyer was in any way deficient.
    Just offering a hand, is all.

Right. After all, if he had lost the first round this would all be over by now and would no longer even be news.

• mind blown
    mind blown

What you may want to think about is, if ANYONE is giving leading questions on this site, and or answers, and or gives information on strategy, it will be noted here by the WTS (without question they look here) and will help them cover their ass.

Though this Atty has a huge network of experts, I'm sure any little info is appreciated. Best thing to do is contact the Atty directly if you have any suggestions.

Be careful of the amo you are giving the WTS on a public boards.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

MB: Noted.

Does anyone have a direct link to Candace' attorney, please?

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

I agree, mind blown. Joe here's Mr. Rick Simons's contact info:

[email protected]

510-582-1080(phone)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit