I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Dark Shadows

by TOTH 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TOTH
    TOTH

These shows and a few others were BANNED in my parents home when I was a kid. DEMUNZ and the like were the reason given by the wts and thus my folks followed suit with the the rule of the house. SHHHH I watched them anyways. I even pointed out how I had seen a wire moving a plate on Bewitched one time. I got smacked for having the show on in the first place....

I was talking about this ban to my wife who's dad was an elder for many years. Those shows were banned in their home as well along with STAR TREK! STAR TREK!!! WTF! Yup, her dad saw my hero and Mrs. TOTH'S boyyyfriend, Captain Kirk and his brave crew materialize out of thin air and said it was DEMUNIZM! BANNED tv show...No interest in learning that the transporter device was a sophisticated and futuristic MACHINE. Just DEEEMUNNNZZ and that's it.

Of course our dads could sit and watch all the violence of Gunsmoke and Combat, Mannix and Cannon, but fake magic shows done with wires and mirrors were of SATAN....Not that I don't love those old shows too, just sayin'....

Anyways today I love to watch my old time tv shows and recently found THE BIG VALLEY on the INSP channel. I forgot how great that show was! And I have to admit that I NEVER miss an episode of the CW's SUPERNATURAL! Demon and monster hunting brothers who KICK ASS on everything evil. They even sent ol Mister Satan back to the pit a couple of seasons back. Nothing weird going on in this house today like candles that won't blow out or pictures coming to life. Maybe it was the WT DEEMUNZ that harassed me all those years ago? LOL

Anyone else here used to get the same kind of tv bans? Anyone today relishing in paranormal, demon, and other horror movies and shows?

• designs
    designs

Remember the JW stories going around that 'hands' would come out of the TV set and change the channel.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Did anyone else watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

I got started watching it when my children were in their teens and I was totally hooked!

Great stuff!

• theBGB
    theBGB

Remember the JW stories going around that 'hands' would come out of the TV set and change the channel.

Bahaha I love this thread, and I love the Buffy series. Angel is even better and I own both on dvd now! I've followed almost all of Joss Whedon's stuff, Firefly is one of the best shows-never-made (could have giving ST a run for it's money if it had the chance).

I can't remember what shows specifically I wasn't allowed to watch except for the Beetle Juice cartoon (which I understood why they didnt want me watching it, main character being a ghost and all). The chunk of my life spent up north in Ontario there were only ever 4-5 channels we'd get so it wasn't so much what we weren't allowed to watch as oppsed to what we were allowed to watch, I remember no simpson for a decade or so then it was ok all of a sudden (guess the Ol' WT hypocrisy rubbes off pretty easily). Thankfully ST was always a favortie of my dad's, for some reason science fiction = cool, while anything Fantasy genre = DEMUNZ!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I watched all of Buffy and Angel----Whedon's Dollhouse was GREAT too. I'm a liltle disappointed with how the series ended--with a rushed episode about armegeddon---but look what they did with Firefly. Poor Whedon, he never gets the respect he deserves.

NC

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

"Poor Whedon, he never gets the respect he deserves."

I think "The Avengers" has more than paid off in critical respect and accollades for Whedon.

My mom let us watch "Jeannie" but not "Bewitched","Dark Shadows","Sabrina, the Teenage Witch","Groovy Ghoulies (Sabrina spin-off)".

She was real nervous about "Star Trek". She didn't like the people "materializing like gods".

Now that I have grown up, and talking to her today, I realize that part of the issue with her was/is a lack of education and a low level of sophistication, which makes it very hard for her to understand complex ideas or plots. That makes it very easy for a manipulative 'religion' like the JW's to control her and people like her.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Having abusive and neglectfull parents, my role models where those nice American folk on the TV, thankfully back in the 60s, the good guys where good guys, unlike today where I probably would have turned out to be a violent monster.

I wish I had parents like Samatha and Darren, my own parents wouldnt hardly even talk to me, just kick me in the stomach and make me stay alone in my bedroom till school the next day, at least I was allowed to watch Bewiched, Batman, Lost in Space, or Daktari before the enforced isolation started when my stepfather arrived home.

• blondie
    blondie

I got to see it all; one good thing having a non-jw father who watched all those things. Good point about picky jw parents who watched violent shows. My father dragged us to all the vampire, werewolf, etc., movies. We got to see all the science fiction movies and read comics.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I was allowed to watch most tv shows icluding bewitched, i dream of jeanie, star trek............but was not allowed to watch dr who wtf, my parents always watched coronation street, never missed it, when i was back home a few years ago it too was banned due to a gay relationship story wtf

• biometrics
    biometrics

As JW kids our mother strictly banned from watching Masters of the Universe/He-Man because it was demonic.

Oddly enough were allowed to watch Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Star-trek, Scooby Do, and a lot of other shows which featured mild forms of witchcraft / demonic possession.

As an adult, my own personal view is I don't let my kids watch any TV, we don't even own one. I think it wastes their time, and stunts certain aspects of their intellectual development. They seem to amuse themselves quite well with toys, books, conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit