Disfellowshipped!

by Las Malvinas son Argentinas 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I'm sorry moshe, but I have to call bull on that article.

Right and wrong are aptly translated as el bien y el mal, and that is almost universally understood in the Spanish speaking community.

To imply that because a language doesn't have specific words to describe "right and wrong", that it therefore cannot know the concept of "right and wrong" is plain, flat-out stupid, and really this just smells of pseudo-science to me.

To see you identify with such a position..... tsk, tsk.

• moshe
    moshe

el bien y el mal

Just checking right now-- Google translate says that phrase means in English, good and evil--which has me confused as to why it didn't translate it to right and wrong, but when you type in english right and wrong, it comes up, el bien Y el mal, so what gives?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Moshe, I don't know of why the discrepancy, but I can assure you, morality or moral concepts of right and wrong, good and evil, exist in the Spanish language! To affirm the contrary is absurd and is a slap in the face for all Spanish-speaking people!

• moshe
    moshe

Well, we did have hispanic illegal immigrants claim 4billion dollars in child tax credits last year - $10,000 tax refunds, and for kids that didn't even live in the USA- maybe, they didn't see it as morally wrong at all- but if you are right, then we have a lot of hispanics who have knowingly done wrong and committed a felony and will never qualify for citizenship.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/current/225536/1/Illegal-immigrants-scam-the-IRS-out-of-4-billion-dollars

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Moshe, your white kin commited attrocities as well. Why not blanket all the races then? Please, do go on with your list, and don't just stereotype the hispanics. By all means, go ahead. I'd like to hear your "intellectually stimulating" comments.

• Diest
    Diest

Moshe, do you speak another language? Do you know the difference between connotation and denotation? Just because google translate tells you something it does not mean that word cant change given a context.

The ideas you put forth really shows how a smart man's thinking can be poisoned by bitterness and anger. Birthers or illegals....all one big boogyman.

• talesin
    talesin

In French, they are called l'expresionn idiomatique, or idiomatic expressions. It's a term describing a phrase that may not be translated literally, such as "the lights are bright, but nobody's home".

tal

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

knowsnothing

LMSA - what you will quickly find, here on JWN, is that we are willing to be more objective once we have gotten past our beefs.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Dear Emilie!

Sorry that settling in on JWN maybe hasn't gone according to plan.

Quite a few crossed wires, mixed topics, misunderstandings, and strong views here methinks.

Fortunately it seems you're a strong person and I'm sure you'll get a lot out of JWN in time as many of us have. Most importantly I believe you will find and make a great life. Are you able to say what you intend studying?

Welcome again.

May you make many friends, find common ground with most, have few misunderstandings, and may you ignore those who refuse to agree to disagree.

Best wishes!

Fernando

• rowan
    rowan

So Emilie does not fit in a stereotype conceived by a person who stereotypically does not want to understand different cultures. How very unsettling and threatening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit