2 year into my fade, where I'm at...

by gutted 9 Replies latest jw friends

• gutted
    gutted

Well it's been exactly 2 years and 2 weeks since the night where I investigated (googled) as much about JWs as I could after being born and raised in the cult till my mid 20s. It took just one all nighter to completely demolish all of the doctrines and bullshit of the religion. Basically after that I went to one more convention and have not stepped into a kingdom hall since. I've ignored all the elders calls and they have ignored me, my fade is going well on that front.

Life is strange, the first few months of me leaving were painful but also happy. I made new friends and had such an optimistic outlook on the world, thinking I could accomplish and do things I truly wanted. I have maintained all my family relationships which I am very happy about. I've lost basically all my JW friends which is not surprising and I thought that would happen as it usually does.

Life has become more complicated as of late. I have a bunch of issues with myself that I'm trying to resolve and I should probably see a therapist about. A major thing for me is I still feel like an outcast in this "world" and feel like my social skills are poor due to avoiding contact with "worldly people". I do realize a lot of that is my personality but if I do hang out with a "worldly" group of early to late 20 year olds, they have stories which I just can't relate to at times. Like having multiple partners, wild parties, crazy trips... I spent my teens and early 20s being a good JW and felt like I shouldn't date till ready for marriage. Now I'm finding dating really hard because I just don't have the experience and I'm awkward. I have pretty low self-esteem and I know some of that is the constant guilt and fear I had growing up. I'm trying to improve it, as I see that people will generally walk all over you if they detect weakness, but it's just so damn hard.

I'm not blaming the JWs for all my issues, I realize now I have the ball on these things and I it's up to me to make things better. I will say it was nice to have a hope to lean on, and sometimes, just sometimes I wish I could go back to the comfort of the organization but I obviously never will. Just the feeling of belonging to something wholesome and working towards a greater purpose, not all the little bullshit politics we had to put up with.

I used to frequent the forums and read JW related books a lot when I was first fading, now that has drastically gone down in importance for me.

I'd like to hear from people who have been fading and what positive and negative things they have found or if they can relate to my experience at all.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have some similar experiences. To hang out with coworkers or others that know nothing about JW's, I have felt out of place. I learn to just admit ignorance on their subjects or explain that I had a different experience "in the cult." You will find that people appreciate honesty and straightforwardness.

I am not a born-in, but my mother became JW when I was young and it affected my whole life. I had loads of issues that the JW's really prevented me from addressing. So I went to a counselor (still go, not as often) and it helped immensely. I think everyone can benefit from at least a few months of counseling.

Losing JW friends was not that hard for me. I really only have one good close JW friend, and I hoped not to lose him, but I did. There are plenty of people who will be genuine friends if you work at it. I focus on the ex-JW community, probably because of the instant ability to relate. But if that weren't there, I would find a hobby or a volunteer work that would put me in a circle of people with similar interests. I am pretty much a loner so more friends are not that important- just a few good ones is plenty.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am glad your fade is going well.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Encouragement based on experience, please do search a qualified and compatible (the latter being more important) therapist if you even have a hunch that this is something you should do. I can guarantee you that you do not want to hit the bottom, earlier you get help better chances are that you won't reach there.

CP

• clarity
    clarity

Gutted .... nice to hear from you.

#1 reason you have a lot going for you is your youth!

Some times that may not feel that way, but trust me ........it is!

>

But because you are relatively young, you don't have the advantage of having a truckload of experiences.

The experiences confirm to you that .... you've been thru this before (many times) & so you know how resilient and competant you really are. You can make it!

>

Do everything you can to boost your self image.

Join a gym, join a walking/hiking group. Get in shape if you need that.

Male or female, get some advice on style ... buy some great looking well fitting clothes that you feel fantastic in!

Get a new hair style, mani/pedicure, ... a whole makeover! Get excited about yourself!

You will feel different about yourself AND ........so will everyone else!!

For sure I'm on your side, all the best ......you deserve better. Never give up!

clarity

• Open mind
    Open mind

Good life-coaching advice from clarity!

Our fade is going quite well since we all (my wife and late teens/early 20s kids) woke up around the same time.

Lots of spin off activities through our various new-found friends.

om

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have had that same feeling throughout my life.

I am a stranger in a strange land.

Sometimes, I want to move to a foreign land. Then, i could put a reason on why I feel sometimes like a stranger in a strange land.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I have a bunch of issues with myself that I'm trying to resolve and I should probably see a therapist about."

Even if you're not affected by depression or anxiety, it's certainly worth a try. I've found it very helpful to open up to someone I can trust to be non-judgmental. I know for myself that it's very easy for me to focus on what isn't right with me, but my psychologist his really helped me focus on what is right with me and the great possibilities ahead of me.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

My story is very similar to yours. It's been just over 2 years since I left, and they have defintely been the roughest years of my life. It's great your fade is successful and you're still on speaking terms with your family.

I tried a few therapists, and have finally found one I really like. She's super helpful and is great at uncovering issues and helping me improve them. Not being able to experiment and have fun as a teenager and make "mistakes" in my 20s is something I wish I would have been able to do, but unfortunately never got a chance. But I can make my life fun now.

Tomorrow night I'll be doing a Burlesque performance for charity! I've signed up for fitness classes and have met some really nice people. It's difficult putting yourself out there when you're shy and lack confidence, but I think doing crazy things will help me gain confidence.

As for friends, I'm lucky to have reconnected with a long lost friend who left the JWs as a teen. It's so nice being able to share your weird past with someone who understands.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Ah well, at least you are living in the Information Age. If you have an issue or problem, just Google it; psychology has come a long way in the last 40 years, and there are answers to virtually every issue you can think of. Just research your problems, ask older people how they got through them, and take the time to think about what is really important to you. You could become a Bhuddist monk living in a monastery, and then nothing would really matter at all....

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yes, Clarity gave excellent advice!!

However, if you think you should see a therapist, I would DEFINITELY encourage you to do so.

Try to find a therapist with some experience with "cult" survivors, or else you'll find that you're spending way too much time explaining each little detail of cult life, without getting into the meatier issues.

I left in the early 80s - when I was late 20s - early 30s.

Immediately after leaving, I took up belly-dancing - always wanted to try that, but was blocked by the misogynistic, sexually-repressed mentality of the Watchtower Corporation. I also started hiking, backpacking, bicycling to work - lots of behavior changes, which helped shake me from the Watchtower rut.

Are you working towards a college degree, or obtaining highly-employable job skills through a reputable trade school? If you feel REALLY uncomfortable around so-called "worldlies" of your age, then perhaps switching your FOCUS from dating and socializing to securing a solid financial future, would help give you some perspective.

It sounds like you may have fallen in with the 'partiers' - I was never attracted to that sort; too shallow and judgmental based on appearances, for my tastes.

So perhaps you could seek out people who aren't quite so wild and crazy? They exist in the world, too - and are usually more sane and sensible to be around.

Don't mistake "sane and sensible" for "being like Jehovah's Witnesses". "Sane and sensible" will usually help you have a GOOD life, as opposed to ending up on one of those "jacka$$" reality shows...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit