Confused in Career Choice 2 - The Real Thread

by will-be-apostate 7 Replies latest jw friends

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Hi again.

I am the poster who wrote the "confused in career choice. Please help!!" thread. Actually I forgot to change the title and thus I made some misunderstandings there.(Here is the link to it) Now I am going to write what I wanted to write when started the other thread. Excuse me for the grammar mistakes. I know that it can be really annoying and I am working on my English grammar skills. I also had some issues with the tetx editor, there are no more editorial options beside putting an icon. I used an html editor then pasted the source and I don`t know whether it will work or not. I am using Google Chrome (also tried opera but it`s the same).

As I mentioned in my last post I am a 18 years old boy. Dad is MS, step-mother is regular pioneer, my mother is disfellowshipped. I live with my dad`s family but have a normal relationship with my mother. I visit her very often. Believe me, it was like a war between me and the elders but finally I succeeded getting them understand me. They got off my back. I told dad about my plans. He said he won`t hinder me in getting a degree in something but obviously he is not going to support me financially. I can understand this because hi barely earns enough money to support the family. My mother is much more opened. She will support me as much as she can. Her financial situation is a bit better than of my father. My dream is to move in Canada or UK or even in the USA and to live there. But first I want to have a qualification.

There is no adequate university institution for me in my town. I will have to move in a city that is 175 miles away. Tuition fees are much less than in the USA. Medical, pharmacy and dentist students pay about $2750 per year, engineering is $1000-1500 per year. Any other major is between these two number. This amount of money only represents the tuition fee, beside this you have to pay rent and food which is about $150-200 if you don`t want to live with 5 people in the same room. You may say that it is really cheap, however the average salary is $250 monthly for a full time worker.

Considering that I want to move in an other country I have to choose a career that will be good in Canada, for example. I am interested in many things: pharmacy, chemical engineering, film making, music, plants, 3D animation. From these I see pharmacy and chemical engineering as a well paying, in demand job. If there are any pharmacist or ChemEng here, please tell me what should I do. What career would you choose if you were me? You can mention any other field not only what I listed. I am afraid that it is very hard to get a job. Every employer is searching for experienced chemical engineers. I would get my BSc here, then would move and afterward nobody would hire me because of lack of experiences.

I have got three choices in connection with tuition fee:

1. Working on summer breaks
    2. Having a part-time job
    3. After high school I could go to Germany or England or anywhere else to work 1-2 years to earn the amount of money that I need to pay the 4 year tuition fee.(it`s 4 year to get a BSc in chem eng)
    The second one in nearly impossible. I could only earn enough money to pay rent and food. And probably I would have no time to learn and to prepare for the exams.

I am really confused because I don`t want to waste 4 year of my life and then not to be employed. The last thing that I want to hear from my father is that: You see, the WTS told you not to waste you time. You got a degree and still haven`t got a job. What would you do if you could start again from my age? Medicine seems to me too hard and long. Chem eng is still hard but it takes less years but it`s not that sure that i will get a job. The other fields are much worse in this part. Finance careers are not for me. I would like to do something interesting. I can see myself having a radio show or being an actor. I know, I have to wake up. That`s why I see science as a more accessible career than the media. Anyway, thank you that you read this post. I did not want to bore anybody. :)

• still thinking
    still thinking

Hi, sorry I have no useful advice for you. Just wanted to welcome you... and say that I think it is fantastic that you are wanting an education...good on you for also thinking ahead.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Oh, don`t worry still thinking. Maybe someone else. It was hard to get my ideas in one place.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I still go with my original advice of combining your passion and an easier job market. Have you thought about being a journalist covering science or engineering? You are new. I lived in Manhattan for 40 years and lived near the major acting schools around Greenwich Village. My neighbors and many in my neighborhood were film students/actors. Wherever I went, I heard stories. Most of them had college degrees. Acting is a risk. If you also have a science/math degree, the lean times won't be so bad.

If you read the Richard Bolles book I mentioned, he describes a process modeled on investigate journalism. You research acting, radio, engineering,-all of them. You start with internet and other research sources, then you start visiting or telephoning people in the field, and ask for a few minute interviews to find out what they find rewarding/not pleasant in the field, how they entered the field, are there other ways to enter the field, --etc. The book is a treasure trove and inspirational.

Ask for referrals to other people who might help your research. May you use their name when calling these people? Send thank you letters promptly? It takes hard research and creativity. My problem is the creativity.

I feel engineering/math/science would make a sad world without the arts. We need philosophers. I once listened to a radio broadcast of Henry David Thoreau, a major American figure ca. our Civil War in the 1860s. The biographer revealed he had about four or five job skills that he employed regularly. People thought all he did was write. This was typical for the period. People were much like those of the Renaissance, combining all sorts of fields.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Hi, Will. I can only give limited advice as I don't know the USA or Canadian education systems (I'm in the UK). So far as area of study goes, I think you are quite right to be thinking in terms of sciences. Don't be seduced by the glamorous degree courses like media studies and the like - if you have any talent in those areas you'll be able to find opportunities later to develop them. You mention chemical engineering and even though you seem to reckon that would be a tough option, you give the impression that you have some ability in that area which you can build upon.

I'd say the thing to do would be to ask yourself which of the scientific disciplines you feel most capable in and which you enjoy the most. Then if you can pair up potential ability and enjoyment, you're heading in the right direction. Don't slog away at something that is worthy and well paying at the end if it means your time at university will be a drudge. Far better to do what you are best at and be spurred on all the time by personal successes, however small they may be.

Go for it! If you pick the field of study that is right for you, your time at university can be really super.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rob Crompton http:snigsfoot.blogspot.com

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'd say the thing to do would be to ask yourself which of the scientific disciplines you feel most capable in and which you enjoy the most.

Fully agree with ROB CROMPTON. Don't worry about exactly what job you will land when you get out. If you do what you enjoy, you can't go wrong.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What would you do if you could start again from my age? Medicine seems to me too hard and long. Chem eng is still hard but it takes less years but it`s not that sure that i will get a job.

Since you said the magic words "Chemical Engineering", I guess this is where I step in. That's the degree I'm pursuing.

I wish I were your age. I'd 100% pursue ChemE. At my school, ChemEs have 100% employment rate within about 4 months after graduation with the highest average starting salaries. Nationally, I don't think it's considered a degree that's "high demand" everywhere, and it's not offered in as many universities as the other engineering disciplines. But it's among the highest starting salaries, particularly if you're prepared to move where the jobs are. All ABET engineering degrees here in the USA are demanding, and typically require 5 years to complete, although class schedules often show completion in 4 years, the coursework is overloaded to get done in 4 years. It requires proficiency in math and the sciences, as well as communication and computer skills. People with degrees in ChemE aren't just in labs, they're in politics, business executives, etc. The idea is that if someone can learn ChemE, they can learn just about anything. So, it can be a good degree to complete and go find a job.

Chemical Engineering is a good degree to begin pursuing if you want to get a masters, PhD, or become a doctor. Having a BS in ChemE can get you preferential admission to other programs. Personally, I'm hoping to start working after my BS with an employer that will support me while I work toward an MS. Perhaps if I were your age, I would start with the BS in ChemE, then see about becoming an anesthesiologist, endocronologist, geneticist, or another medical specialty.

Unfortunately, I can only speak for the situation here in the USA, and don't know that much about other countries. I'm attending a state school for ChemE. It's ABET accredited and cheaper than private university, but still expensive. The disadvantage of the US is that education is expensive, but the advantage is that it's abundant. There are community colleges and universities all over the place here.

As far as your situation in Eastern Europe, if you can get into a school there, go. It should be a good place to start. Study hard and get good grades. Ask around, look around, and see what opportunities there are for Co-ops or internships.

I hope this helps.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Thank you for the comments. I am happy that I found a member here who is pursuing chemical engineering. Billy, your comment did help me. I think I will do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit