Child custody and the WTBTS, what kind of Case Load?

by Momma-Tossed-Me 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

It was recently published in a letter to Elders in the congregation that divorce cases involving child custody should only be referred to the legal department if the non-JW spouse makes an issue of the child or children being raised as JW’s or calls into question the WTBTS doctrine.

Do you suppose the legal department is being over-run with cases such as these and resources are being stretched thin?

There must be an over whelming amount of cases that the WTBTS has to handle on a yearly basis against the organization and with an added load of cases from the rank and file it must be unmanageable.

MTM

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do they handle these cases? I assumed they would make you retain a family lawyer and provide you with that packet of how to outsmart the judicial system that someone posted here. I've never seen what actually gets mailed to a publisher/pioneer/elder whatever. Do they even file amicus briefs in these custody actions?

Besides a friend of the court brief, which isn't the main brief, what do they actually do as lawyers? From what I've seen here, it seems that they send generic legal info. but not legal advice itself.

Do they have a roster of JW lawyers, not WTBTS lawyers, in your state to handle these custody cases? I can't seem that caring that much about individual Witnesses and their circumstances. They seem to care about the org as a whole, not specific people.

I am also curious if there is a doctrine or recommendations about how virulent the custody battle must be. Prolonged court action would bankrupt most people. The uncertainty and anxiety must be horrifying to the child. If someone wanted to share custody, saw the nonJW as a fine father, would that person be disfellowshipped. My uncle, an overseer, behaved despicably and abandoned his family. He took one child with his mistress to another state. My super duper JW aunt never lifted a finger to stop him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit