Life After Escape!

by StephanieH 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• StephanieH
    StephanieH

So it has been about a year and a half since I left the Jw's, it has been a long hard road but my life is finally great! I have actually had several recent magor changes in my life but I feel the peace in which I have been searching for. I just spent a month with my mom which was nice even though it didn't go as planned it was good to get to know her a little better.

I actually just moved back to the town I left so that I could be with my mom who is the only family I have left that excepts me. I just moved in with my girlfriend which how that happend is a whole different story.. :) Anyway my dad still thinks I am still living with my mom out of state and I don't plan on telling him that I am back here. I figure he and the other JW's here who know me will find out eventually but I don't even care anymore.

Freedom.. It's the best feeling to just be myself. I just hope that others trapped in the org can see the light and find what it is to truly live. With all my heart I do miss my sister and most of all my nephews and niece. I wish that they didn't have to grow up with such blindness but all I can do is hope they someday will find happiness like I have. Anyway I know now that dispight all I have lost I have so much more now.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Living a good life is the best revenge... and the best example for those relatives still 'in'.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey StephanieH!

Good to meet!

Same here. From turmoil to peace, with a long hard road inbetween. And the journey of growth and freedom continues.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hi StephanieH . . .

I recall a couple of your threads from a few months back.

Glad to hear you've found your feet. There are some hard yards at first . . . but the ledger eventually favours the brave.

All the very best to you.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

It's always good to hear a (mostly) happy story!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well done to you. Glad you are finding your way.

Loz x

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I understand it is a long hard path. First, you need to leave the religion, and that involves losing family and friends. They are programmed to cut anyone off if they leave the cancer, and the witlesses are programmed to not seek involvement with the world. Sometimes this includes finding a new place to stay and a new job, particularly if the landlord or boss (or both) is a witless, and you get fired or evicted (or both) for leaving the cancer. Sometimes it means moving out of town (or out of the country) to avoid the hounders. And sometimes it means getting harassed by the hounders.

At the same time, you need to be 100% certain that your old religion is rubbish. You will need a new belief system to get you out of the cancer (or you will probably be scammed right back in--all too many relapse simply because they fail to get a new belief system that they can accept). You will probably be experimenting with several. Those who jump to the first church they find are inviting disaster--there is a chance that it could be even worse (like the Boston Movement), or they could find the message just as bad if not as blatantly enforced. You might research several churches, or visit a few, on a "testing the market" basis. Never commit to something you are not totally certain of, even if it means doing additional cross-research.

Sometimes you will find another belief system, and have to modify it. This is acceptable, and it helps you get on the right path for you. You might, for instance, go to several different churches only to ultimately ditch them all. Some people try Judaism or Islam--again, if you go that route, do your research and try several different denominations before committing. You will probably be confused for a time. Others try a left-hand path religion--again, I advise research before committing. If you must renounce something, you need to be as close to absolutely certain that what you are renouncing is rubbish. What is required or expected in that? Good, in-depth research will not only answer those questions, but help you get the most of your new belief system.

And still others will simply become practical atheists. You will believe that there is no God, or that God is not worth worshiping. Again, that is a valid belief system. For sure, that is the safest if you are undecided. No god means no commitment. That can buy you plenty of time to research, and you will be fine tuning your belief system until you are finally comfortable with one. Many ex-witlesses ultimately become atheists and stay that way for life, and that is also fine. Just beware that your belief system could change with a single well-timed mouse click, and especially if you cross-reference it (recommended) and find that it checks.

Which is better than being so lazy that you do no additional research, and are ultimately ensnared right back into the cancer like too many are.

• Flossycat
    Flossycat

Hi Stephanie,

I joined the forum only a coupla months ago, but have been out of the WTS for 30+ years. I'm 53, but it took many years of rebellion and guilt tripping till someone DEPROGRAMMED ME! Yep - so moronic. These days I'm agnostic.

Glad you've made such great strides in such a relatively short time. Congratulations.

Best wishes from Flossycat. Melbourne, Australia.

• ssn587
    ssn587

You also need to remember that conditional love and friendship is neither love no friendship. If someone is really your friend it won't be because you have x amount of hours in meeting attendande or the d2d work. Love isn't based on that either. They are delusional in their concepts of those two things.

• StephanieH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit