Psychopaths, atheists and agnostics

by Fernando 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

A naughty attention grabbing heading I admit - I'm sorry, just couldn't resist. Obviously we all know atheists and agnostics have nothing in common with Psychopaths.

In fact I would hold that atheists and agnostics generally have better functioning consciences than religionists. I would also hold that most religionists are not Psychopaths - although a higher percentage of Psychopaths likely concentrate in the leadership of religious groups.

However as a lay person (not a Psychiatrist) I really am interested to understand how our atheist and agnostic friends on JWN reason about Psychopaths (persons with no conscience).

A random list of questions come to mind:

What is a conscience? Where does it come from? Is it normal to have one? Is it abnormal to not have one? By what standard is normal determined? Where does this standard come from? How could something as fundamental, useful and important as a conscience have arisen randomly? How is a conscience lost and why? Why does loss (or compromise) of conscience result in aberration, deviance, evil, crime, violence, inhumanity and dysfunction? Does such a complex, awesome and partly intangible (metaphysical) compass (a conscience) not require design by a designer, who intended humans to be semi-autonomous and self-directed within a complex, functional, healthy and sustainable system?

(I remember reading that 50% of violent crimes are committed by Psychopaths).

Love to read your thoughts.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

Conscience is learned social behavior. It's basically just a realization of how your actions affect others, and society at large. If it was implanted (or complex and awesome, as you claim) than why is it completely lacking in children? Children will hit, steal, lie, and whatever else they can think of to get their own selfish desires satisfied--only through learned standards of societal norms does one aquire a conscience (or lack thereof).

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Love to read your thoughts.

Read this one....

• talesin
    talesin

... obviously the viewpoint of a sociopath ..... ;)

Actually, some children are like that .... others are unselfish, and very loving. Haven't been around many children, huh?

t

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey Twitch!

Ya got me. Didn't see that one coming!

• glenster
  • startingover
    startingover

I Want To Believe

Great post!!!

• Perry
  • Perry
    Perry

Great Topic Fernando.

I think there is a soulish conscience and an intellectual or bodily conscience. Since man is constituted of both, they both have this feature. God puts the conscience in the soul. This is what people mean when they say something like, "deep down he really knows that is wrong".

Generally, I believe we are born with a soulish conscience and the other one is learned.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I think that what we are, or are not, born with is inconsequential.

We are shaped by every passing second of our lives and these moments change and mould us, so by the time we put a conscience into play it has already been shaped by outward stimuli.

In other words we are what we experience regardless of what we're born with; this can be applied both positively and negatively.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit