One more thing off my bucket list!

by Bobbi 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

HI everyone, it's been a long time since I posted on here(other than commenting on exsisting posts) and wanted to share something with all of you.

Yesterday I donated blood for the first time. Lightning did not strike me, I did not have a car accident on the way home and the blood committee was not waiting outside for me.

I have been researching blood donation for a couple of years, but never worked up the nerve to actually do it. The Canadian Blood Services website is very informative and the woman I talked to when booking the appointment was very nice as well.

So, as I am driving to the appointment, I can feel my heart racing and my blood pressure going up. I can't believe I am actually doing this, it feels so surreal to me. Part of me feels like such a fraud because I actively worked against blood donation for soo long.

Needless to say, when they check my blood pressure, it is sky high. I inform the nurse that my blood pressure is normally on the high side and it gets worse if I am excited or emotional. She says she can tell I am kind of wound up and asks what made me decide to start donating. She listens very intently to my story and asks lots of questions. She suggests that I sit for a bit and try to relax. It works and I am off to the next step.

I should mention that first time donors are given a sticker to wear so everyone you come in contact with takes few extra minutes to explain what is going on.

Afterwards I am sitting having my cookies and juice and another donor sees my sticker and asks me why I am there. I kind of laugh and say he'll find it funny, he promises not to laugh and I proceed to tell him that it is on my bucket list. I explain my history and he says "nope, that was totally not what he was expecting".

I feel really good about myself in general and actually going thru with something that has alot of emotional baggage attached to it has taken a huge weight off me.

Thanks for listening!

Bobbi

• poppers
    poppers

Good for you - and your action will help someone else to boot.

• clarity
    clarity

Bobbi hi fellow Canadian! Good for you.

I find it strange with new blood policies regarding that 'it's OK to take parts of blood' now, but society expects "worldly" people to provide the blood!! lol

clarity

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yaye for you!

Donating blood is something I'm yet to do. Got nothing against it, it's just that I'm a procrastinator!

• TOTH
    TOTH

Happy for you!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done, I'm donating for the fourth or fifth time this arvo !

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

You deserve a big pat on the back!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit