Effectiveness of Psychotherapy

by larc 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I know of a situation with a person who has an episodic non-lethal disabling disease. During the "episodes" when their condition takes another irreversable downturn, they get depressed. Quite depressed. Their doctor suggested a visit to a psychiatrist, and it was completely unproductive: talking did nothing to change the FACT of the illness, and the patient was not misinformed about the nature or prognosis of the disease. Antidepressant medication was slightly beneficial, but the side effects were unacceptable. The patient felt that for the hundreds of dollars they were paying for each session, they could get ALMOST ANYBODY to be their "non-judgemental good friend."

- Nathan Natas, UADNA
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• larc
    larc

Nathan,

Your friends depression appears to be situational and episodic. He might benefit from seeing a cognitive psychologist. The cure rate for depression with this approach is somewhat higher than with drugs, and there are no side effects. He may want to shop around and interview a few to find one he feels comfortable with.

Cognitive psyhcologists are more than just "a non-judgemental good friend." They have a particular strategic model in mind that gives the sessions some direction.

Of course, there are no quarantees. About 75% of people show at least some benefit from therapy. So, there are about 25% that do not benefit.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Larc,

Just ran across a post of Tina's - wherein she says that Zimbardo is current president of APA.

I went to the APA website, and sure nuf! He is. Sorry for discrepancy.

Biography of Philip G. Zimbardo, PhD, 2002 APA President
    Btw, his complete bio is listed there, takes just a second to access the information.

waiting

ps: I've had an interest in E. Loftus' work for several years, quite a few studies done, several books written, strong in the False Memory Foundation. Don't know where I picked up the wrong info on her, however. Duh......

• larc
    larc

Hi Waiting,

Yep, Phillip Zimbardo has done some good work. You might recall that I summarized his classic experiment on my thread, Social Influence, Part I and Part II. I never did a Part III because you provided an excellent link to Milgram's research, which saved me a lot of time and effort.

On a side note, I know one former APA President personally. Ron Fox lived in my neighborhood. His son Eric and my son were best friends in high school. Before Ron became APA President, he started the Wright State School of Professional Psychology, and was its Dean for many years.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

zzzzzzzzzzzz

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy larc,

Go figure! In class this morning, the prof. did a summary of behavior - including peer pressure, obedience (Milgram's study - which the class had a LOT of trouble accepting) and Tues, we'll discuss Zimbardo. I, however, scored one of too few brownie points, knowing a decent amount about Milgram's study (aside from 2 pages in our book.)

I'll review your information, and also go to his website - where he should have his study or a summary of it, eh? I'm in line for another brownie point.....then I'll have *2* (lol - after a whole semester).

hi gravedancer,

I would guess you slept your way through psych classes too?

• waiting
    waiting

A Simulation Study of the
    Psychology of Imprisonment
    Conducted at Stanford University

Welcome to the Stanford Prison Experiment web site, which features an extensive slide show and information about this classic psychology experiment. What happens when you put good people in an evil place? Does humanity win over evil, or does evil triumph? These are some of the questions we posed in this dramatic simulation of prison life conducted in the summer of 1971 at Stanford University.
    How we went about testing these questions and what we found may astound you. Our planned two-week investigation into the psychology of prison life had to be ended prematurely after only six days because of what the situation was doing to the college students who participated. In only a few days, our guards became sadistic and our prisoners became depressed and showed signs of extreme stress. Please join me on a slide tour of describing this experiment and uncovering what it tells us about the nature of Human Nature.

--Philip G. Zimbardo

.. http://www.prisonexp.org/

This is what we'll be reviewing next week. Btw, he looks like such a flamboyant geek. Not meaning to offend anyone......

• larc
    larc

Waiting,

On one of your earlier posts, you mentioned that you had a very bad experience with one therapist. I am sorry you had that experience. That is why I advised Nathan that his friend shop around and find someone he feels comfortable talking to. I think the two most important ingedients in the theraputic relationship are rapport between the client and the therapist and the competence of the therapist. Regarding competence, there many so called therapists out there who have minimal qualifications. I think a person should seek out a therapist who has a PhD in Clinical Psychology and a license to practice.

In the post to Nathan, I mentioned that about 75% benefit from Psychotherapy. I would like to add that about 20% do not benefit, and about 5% are harmed by the experience. These numbers are based on meta-analytic studies that have been conducted since 1980. I say, since 1980, because meta-analytic studies did not exist before that date.

Before that time, literature surveys were conducted and the results were useful but very qualitative in nature. Percents and a sort of a batting average was presented, but not much more in a quantitative sense. The term meta-analysis was first used by Glasser in 1976, but was more of a philosophy than than a technique. In 1978, Hunter and Schmidt began presenting statistical methods for cummulating data across many studies in a more precise fashion. They found that it was important to correct for three statistical artifacts in data: range restriction, measurement error, and sampling error. When these adjustments were made, more research studies became directly comparable and in many cases, their techniques brought order and understanding where only chaos existed before.

One of their classic studies proved the value of Validity Generalization in Psychological Testing. Before their work, this subject was very controversial, but now it is accepted.

In meta-analytic studies, confidence intervals and d values are the key measures. Standard signifance tests are not considered important, since they believe that you should not test the null hypothesis, but test against some known or assumed parametric value. In their 1998 article in Psychological Bulleton, on the Psychological Test predictors of job success, they used Multiple Regression Analysis which was new. Although Factor Analysis is a very valuable tool, it has never been used in a meta-analytic study, simply because the data from individual studies do not have the necessary information to conduct such an analysis.

I am presently in the process of gathering information from about 250 research articles for a meta-analytic study. I am correcting for measurement error and sampling error but not range restriction, with assumed values as been been done before. The reason is that one part of my data can show the actual degree of range restriction that is occuring in another portion of the data, thus I can use empirical values rather than assumed values. I suppose that in my study, I could use factor analysis, since I have a meta-analyticly derived 4 variable correlation matix, but the results are obvious without it. Factor analysis is more useful in determining the factor structure of a very large number of variables.

At this point in my career, I am very interested in research. Earlier on, I was much more in a hands on kind of a situation and was involved in both clinical diagnosis and occupational and managerial assessment. At one time I was licensed in both Ohio and Michigan, but did not renew in recent times, since I am no longer interested in that activity.

Early in my career, I administer thousands of WAIS's along with an equal number of personality tests. I just don't want to do that any more.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy larc,

Seems like it's just you and me, eh? Well, since my class is into some studies which have a direct bearing on my childhood & jw 30 yr experience - it's really interesting - I reread your Social Influence thread - which we studying now.

In the post to Nathan, I mentioned that about 75% benefit from Psychotherapy. I would like to add that about 20% do not benefit, and about 5% are harmed by the experience. These numbers are based on meta-analytic studies that have been conducted since 1980. - larc
    After a lecture by a Psychiatrist one night, he entertained questions. I stood & asked "How does one know he's getting a GOOD therapist?" Uhh, Uhhh, Uhhhh was the answer - as a good portion of the group was therapists. You're answer, btw, was the same as my professor's answer to another classmate with this same question. Actually, he said "Generally, you get what you pay for." Because it came up that Psychologists & psychiatrists cost a heck of a lot more per 50 minutes than therapists.

It's also interesting that I've read that the average person seeking therapy will go to at least 3 professionals before they find someone they can be comfortable with. I concur.

Each therapist I went to had a psychatrist as backup - particularily for meds. The first woman I went to - I liked her, she has a good background with child abuse, however, I was out of her range.

The third therapist was exceptional - not in her high intelligence or insight (which I assume she had) but because of her ability to make me comfortable, centered, and to give me space.

The second therapist was the ringer - high control issues, dominance of patient & situation, her ego was unbelievable. I was needy at the time, head reeling from different issues, I was under her control for some time. It cost me a lot in pain, time, & money. I stopped all therapy after her for several years.....as I was furious. Btw, this Jehovah's Witness woman therapist practiced in the vincinity of Ventura, CA in 80's moving to Boca Raton FL in 90's. Had quite a jw following for patients. Virginia M.

Interestingly enough, all the above women had the same qualifications. RN, with ongoing studies in Drugs & Alcohol, Family, and child abuse.

I didn't like any of the male psychiatrists I saw. Just could not relate to them.

Another intersting point is that many serious child abuse victims will most likely be misdiagnosed several times before the underlying problem is figured out. I know I was - didn't realize that fact until one therapist actually had me recount my experiences with doctors.

Btw, I read your post above - please be aware you're talking to a "Psych 101" person. Couldn't make heads or tails out of the last part.......but I assume that's what happens to a professional when he gets into his work, eh?

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Dear Larc,

Tell Zazu to have some patience on her 39th anniversary - you've not answered my post. I like this thread - your insight helps me in school. I'm using you.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit