I got my Memorial invitation

by Juan Viejo2 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Come one, come all!

I just got my invitation! Yeah!!!!

No one knocked on my door. I was sitting just ten feet from the front door and heard nothing, so it was a hit and run invite this year. See my personal invitation below.

They'll be meeting at the Oregon State Fairgrounds this year. How fun! Maybe the kids can ride the ferris wheel while the adults enjoy their meal inside.

So it's official - the Memorial will once again be celebrated by a large group of Jehovah's Witnesses and their friends.

It's like to be a repeat of last year's Memorial, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that...

They will probably hear basically the same talk, sing the same songs.

Bread and wine will be passed among the attendees - but probably no one will actually take a bite or a sip (unless Brenda Lee is in the audience!)

Looks like this year some congregations will meet together in a rented hall, rather than separately in Kingdom Halls. There are several reasons for doing the Memorial this way:

Because the Memorial is supposed to take place after dark and lasts about 90 minutes, Kingdom Halls with more than one congregation won't be able to do them all in one night.

It's a school night (Thursday), so families will not want to attend a Memorial that doesn't end until nearly midnight.

Some congregations are losing members and can hardly fill up the Kingdom Hall for normal meetings. Combining congregations at a rented facility will allow the meeting to have what appears to be a larger audience. This will also give the local Witnesses an opportunity to make an announcement in the local newspaper and get better publicity.

Front of Memorial Invitation

You're all welcome to come to my place in Salem on Memorial night. I'll put out the wine and crackers - which you can actually drink and eat. I'll set out a great Oregon Pinot Noir instead of a bottle of Maneschewitz red...

JV

• VIII
    VIII

Looks just like the TWO I got!!

Ha ha! One in the mail and one at the door. I was unsuspecting and answered, expecting the guy who was supposed to powerwash my deck. No, it was a neatly dressed man, with a bible in his hand. (groan)

I had to answer, he saw me and I must have looked like a deer in headlights.

I almost threw it out. I'm keeping it to show my husband. He's never seen what a JW invite looks like.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Nice waste of paper. Also, nice thing I didn't get my waste of paper for a few years now.

For me, it would be a waste of paper and time. Not only I believe that Jesus is still dead (and that assumes he wasn't just a ripoff of Horus and 20 other earlier legends, or the sun itself), but that his death did nothing for me. I don't believe I was born a sinner, or that I need anyone to die for me (as if it would cancel my "sins"). Jesus, due to that he doesn't currently exist, is not my king--the real message Jesus taught (if it wasn't also ripped off from earlier legends) is the same one that Satan taught. And I like the message Satan taught much better than what Jehovah teaches--why be a slave to Jehovah?

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Not only I believe that Jesus is still dead (and that assumes he wasn't just a ripoff of Horus and 20 other earlier legends, or the sun itself), but that his death did nothing for me. I don't believe I was born a sinner, or that I need anyone to die for me (as if it would cancel my "sins"). Jesus, due to that he doesn't currently exist, is not my king--the real message Jesus taught (if it wasn't also ripped off from earlier legends) is the same one that Satan taught. And I like the message Satan taught much better than what Jehovah teaches--why be a slave to Jehovah?

AMEN!!!!!!!

WTWizard - I love ya man.

• snakeface
    snakeface

I got mine too!

I used to be very prominent in the organization, always on the platform, giving public talks and so on. Then one day almost 5 years ago I just never showed up anymore. In fact I had some kind of assignment but I just did not show up. No one called, no one came to the house. I think they figured it out right away, knowing my personality. Anyway, yesterday in the mail there was an envelope from an elder and his wife, my age...they were always the nicest and most genuine people in the congregation. The envelope was hand-written. Had it been from anyone else I would have just pitched it, but since it was from them I thought I'd open it. I figured it would be a Memorial invite and a tract.

Well, it was a Memorial invite, and a magazine folded up, but open to an article inviting those who have strayed away to return. I guess the WT wants to try to pull our heart strings or something. Anything to increase attendance. Anyway, I didn't look at that. I just wanted to read the hand-written letter. The letter was real syrupy - it went on about how much everyone misses me, how they appreciate all the things I used to do in the congregation, they would love to see me, notice this article blah blah blah. What hypocrites!

I think I will wait until the day after the Memorial, then write them a real nice letter on nice stationery...first perhaps saying something positive but genuine about them...maybe saying I remember the many things they did in the congregation (and then I'd name specific things) and am glad they are doing well. And then I'll tell them I had already had plans on Memorial night - maybe a Civil Air Patrol meeting, or choir rehearsal at church - something that would get their attention and indicate I no longer consider myself one of them. I'll mention some of the things I do that keep me "very busy" which is why I don't have time to talk on the phone (in case they're thinking of calling): Angel Flights (they know I'm a pilot), animal rescue flights, helping with fundraisers for the Civil Air Patrol cadets and for the Young Eagles, ongoing education, church activities, and so on. Then I'll conclude by saying I didn't expect to hear from them because normally if people have not bothered with someone for several years, it's considered good etiquette not to contact them again.

That's a very tactful way of saying "No one needs to miss me because they have nice people like you to take over. I have moved on and have no intention of keeping in touch with any of you."

• cedars
    cedars

Anyone remember when the memorial invites were just crappy little slips of paper that you were almost ashamed to hand out?? Those were the days.

Juan Viejo - if I was going to be anywhere near Salem on memorial night, I would gladly accept your invite instead! As it is, I promised a whole bunch of relatives that I'd go, so I have to bite the bullet to keep the family happy. How long I'll be able to do that remains to be seen, but for now it seems a small price to pay for their happiness.

Aside from that, I wonder how long it will be before they rename the memorial outline "10 reasons why you really shouldn't eat or drink the emblems.... and some other stuff to do with Jesus."

You heard it here first...

Cedars

• heathen
    heathen

The biggest non event in history .LOL The early church didn't just show up to nibble a cracker and sip some wine , it was actually a dinner as was the one that jesus was part of . Something the WTBTS refuses to recognize . It does say according to the apostle paul that unless you plan to eat and drink then don't bother showing up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit