Everlasting life on a paradise earth? Unlikely!

by yalbmert99 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

The Watchtower of January 1st, 2010 p. 22-23 pretends that "all who respond favorably to God’s warning and bring their life into harmony with his righteous principles (meaning Jehovah's Witnesses) will be granted salvation and enjoy everlasting life on a paradise earth."

But is it true?

Astrophysicists say that like other stars of its type, our Sun will become a planet-engulfing red giant. Why would our Sun have a different fate? Just because the Watchtower says so? In fact, earth will be vaporized by our sun. There will be no everlasting life and no paradise earth.

Here is an interesting article about our Sun's fate : http://science.howstuffworks.com/sun6.htm : The Fate of the Sun

The sun has been shining for about 4.5 billion years [source: Berkeley]. The size of the sun is a balance between the outward pressure made by the release of energy from nuclear fusion and the inward pull of gravity. Over its 4.5 billion years of life, the sun's radius has gotten about 6 percent bigger [source: Berkeley]. It has enough hydrogen fuel to "burn" for about 10 billion years, meaning it has a bit over 5 billion years left, and during this time it will continue to expand at the same rate [source: Berkeley].

When the core runs out of hydrogen fuel, it will contract under the weight of gravity; however, some hydrogen fusion will occur in the upper layers. As the core contracts, it heats up and this heats the upper layers causing them to expand. As the outer layers expand, the radius of the sun will increase and it will become a red giant, an elderly star.

The radius of the red giant sun will be 100 times what it is now, lying just beyond the Earth's orbit, so the Earth will plunge into the core of the red giant sun and be vaporized [source: NASA]. At some point after this, the core will become hot enough to cause the helium to fuse into carbon.

When the helium fuel has exhausted, the core will expand and cool. The upper layers will expand and eject material.

Finally, the core will cool into a white dwarf.

Eventually, it will further cool into a nearly invisible black dwarf. This entire process will take a few billion years.

So for the next several billion years, humanity is safe -- in terms of the sun's existence, at least. Other debacles are anybody's guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iauIP8swfBY http://www.watchtowerlies.com/watchtowerlies_145.htm

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

I choose not to hear you and substitute your reality with my own fantasy!

• yalbmert99
  • Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Nice post. I hope it makes people think.

It seems like all I've been posting recently is more questions, however I can't help myself with cases like this.

We live in a Universe where everything has a lifespan, a birth, a death. This would include our own bodies, planet and sun. One assumes God has made all things in the Universe without interference from Satan, and thus everything outside of our own planet is perfect, as God intended. Yet suns still explode, and planets are destroyed.

Why would God create a universe where everything he designs dies, yet suspend his own laws in favour of saving humans? Why not create a universe where suns do not heat up and die?

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

The Morons say that YHWH will keep the sun forever with a miracle...

Get it dude, where LOGIC stops starts the GB!

NOLAW

• finally awake
    finally awake

I suppose that if there was a sentient being powerful enough to create the universe in the first place, relocating humans to a different planet would be easy.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Ah --- but then it would not be a paradise "Earth", would it? Rather, some other planet in some other solar system.

No, the finite nature of all stars, including the sun, makes mockery of the idea of "Everlasting Life on a Paradise Earth":

- and shows the claim up for what it is, i.e. just a proverbial carrot on the end of a stick to keep a bunch of suckers slaving for a book publishing empire.

Bill.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I asked some elders about that when I was around 12. They said something along the lines of "God will just just more fuel into the sun."

Even then I knew that a ridiculously stupid answer that was.

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

I heard that too, but stars don't work like that, you can't just give it more fuel, or if you do it will get bigger anyway and engulf the earth.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    It seems 2 Peter 3:10-13 was right about the passing away of this "solar" system

NWT

Yet Jehovah’s day will come as a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a hissing noise, but the elements being intensely hot will be dissolved, and earth and the works in it will be discovered.

Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought YOU to be in holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion, awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah, through which [the] heavens being on fire will be dissolved and [the] elements being intensely hot will melt! But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell.

NIV

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. a

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. b That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit