Update on my Situation

by mindfield 3 Replies latest jw friends

• mindfield
    mindfield

Well, as some of you know, I'm completely out of the borg, including meetings, converting, etc. My brother/cousin are one step behind... they've made up their mind that the org. is just a man-made organisation with plenty of secrets to hide (some of which I've gleefully exposed to them... However, a previous post I've made was a tad wrong, it seems... they're still attending meetings and going out trying to convert others. But I trust that they'll be out before they hit their 18's. Well, my brother anyway. My cousin... I don't think the prospect of being kicked out of the house is really enjoyable.

Now, as for my parents... they're still completely in, don't worry. And it seems that whenever I say something about the Bible, or about the WT, they either laugh/shrug it off/say they're too tired to talk about it. There's some kind of deep abyss we can't cross. Forget religious discussions of any kind. Of course, when we're invited to a "brother" for a meal (which I attend, just to show I'm not a rebellious, non-thinking teen that has a brain and can reason), I think they make up for their loss by chatting mostly about "spiritual" matters. Well, that and gossiping. I think that the next time something of the like pops up again, I'll speak up. Of course, they'll be shocked. Horrified, even, to listen to me speak about spiritual matters in front of our hosts. But they know I don't like them talking positively about the borg. They know I have a healthy reserve of... well, hidden facts behind my belt. They just think I'll hold it back and shut up while they speak on and on just ignoring I'm there. Maybe a healthy real fact or two might change the course of the conversation to a more normal one.

Now, I've been encouraged to use my position as an informed person to encourage my parents to leave the borg. Since they immediately shut their mind whenever something religious comes from their son's mouth, talking to them is not really an option. Therefore, I've decided to take a different approach. I'm sure they'd be happy if I read some magazines. Well, I won't read all of them. But what I will do is read other poster's on this board remarks on certain magazine's obvious contradictions. Such as the recent one about "will all men ever be equal?" bit. I've just circled the same parts in blue ink. What I think I'll do is just leave the page open to where I've circled/underlined, and let them discover what I'm up to themselves. If they want to talk about it (yeah right), well, perfect. If they don't, at least they'll understand a small part of where I'm coming from.

Unless anyone has a better, more "speedy" solution?

• think41self
    think41self

Hey Mindchild,

Sounds as good a plan as any others I've heard. Besides, no one else knows your parents like you do! Keep the faith, brother.

think41self

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!

• belbab
    belbab

Mindfield,

It looks like your on the ball as far as handling your parents and brother and cousins , and I do not wish to add suggestions to influence any of your course of actions. Rather I want to validate the course you are taking.

Recently, my wifes mother who is in her eighties, an entrenched JW visited us for a month. If I brought up anything about magazines, JWs or any subject that in the slightest referred to their religion it would be met with silence, and a look of fear would cross her face. So I didn't, I steered clear from such topics. However, I did know that she liked to read. I had a couple of books from the library on archeology that had very interesting subjects in it. Also I had good novels and many other books that were really enlightening. I would bring out a pile of them and let her pick and choose which ones she would read, and sometimes I was surprised at which ones she read.

One book she would not read though was The Hunted Heritic. I guess it was too close to home. The book was a biography of Servetus, who Calvin burnt at the stake with green wood.

So my course of action has always to try and act as a catylist, just put a little info out there and then let the reactions carry on by themselves.
    belbab

• WindRider
    WindRider

Hi Mindfield,
    I didnt realize that you are still in your teens; you seem very mature for your age. I think your plan of action sounds very reasonable and probably has the best chance of getting through to your parents; if anything will.

I have found that casually putting just a little bit of info. out there and then dropping it or even walking away then is very effective. They can think on what was said without the need for a response on their part, and that often will elimanate the need for defensiveness.

Your parents can be very proud of you. You care enough to want to help as many of your relatives as you can and yet, you seem to be willing to be respectful of thier position. Hang in there, be patient. So glad you are here, I always enjoy your comments!

Sincerely, Windrider

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit