Belief in God ( The Problem with Evil) Correction

by JT 5 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

My wife and i are back in school again and we are in a Philosophy class and the issue of god has come up in the research material and the following is under consideration for us-

being involved in trying to explain the REason that God permits wickness i find the explanation that i USE TO USE from the platform as a jw to be VERY WEAK TO SAY THE LEAST

yet i find that it is the same basic explantion given by most "Beleivers" and it too is weak as tea

well here is part of our discussion material-

NOW I SEE WHY THE WT DIDN'T WANT US TO GO TO COLLEGE

can you believe that the name of this class is:

"DEVELOPING THE ART OF QUESTIONING"--- you got to love it

the instructor has cornered me twice for not believing that i am really a student

but merely a plant by the Dean to ck his class out since he has a "REP" for ripping apart most NON-MAIN STREAM CHURCHES

i have reassured him that my wife and i are not "Plants" to check up on his class--

he can't figure out why we are taking such an intense interest in listening and asking questions during his class

ONLY IF HE KNEW

HERE IS OUR MATERIAL FOR CONSIDERATION:

The Problem of Evil
    Summary History Theodicy Questions
    Theodicy

In the book of Job in the Old Testament, Job himself is the victim of numerous misfortunes. Although there is no apparent reason for any of these events - at least none known to Job - a number of people seek to give possible explanations (these people are known as "Job's Comforters"). Such an attempt to account for evil without altering the conception of God is known as a Theodicy. So, in Job's case, the comforters give various possibilities as to why his family should die, his animals be stolen and he himself should be afflicted with illness: they ask if he has angered God by some act or thought; perhaps there is some sin that he is not aware of?

The thing to note about theodicy is that none of the main aspects of the problem change: God is still all-good, omniscient and omnipotent; evil still seems to exist. The difference is, however, that some reason is given to explain how all of these things can be true at the same time.

Questions

What is the distinction between natural and moral evil?

What are physical and metaphysical evil?

In what different ways do these four types of evil create problems for certain types of religious belief?

List the three most obvious ways out of the problem. Can you think of any others?

Summary

For the purposes of the Philosophy of Religion the word "evil" has a broader definition than that possessed by human or supernatural agents. So, although Hitler and Satan would undoubtedly be included in such a discussion, evil also covers so-called "Acts of God" - such as earthquakes, floods, famines, etc. - as well as other imperfections in the world and it's creatures. There are two main types of evil:

Moral evil - This covers the willful acts of human beings (such as murder, rape, etc.)

Natural evil - This refers to natural disasters (such as famines, floods, etc.)
    Of these two types, we may further divide both of them into the following two classes:

Physical evil - This means bodily pain or mental anguish (fear, illness, grief, war, etc.)

Metaphysical evil - This refers to such things as imperfection and chance (criminals going unpunished, deformities, etc.)
    The problem itself arises because of certain qualities which religious believers grant to God, and the consequences of these given certain observations about the world.

To illustrate these consider three qualities that most religious believers would not want to deny to God: absolute goodness (omnibenevolence), absolute power (omnipotence) and absolute knowledge (omniscience). Now, add to this the observation that there is evil in the world. Setting aside for the moment the question of how a good God could create a world with evil in it, ask yourself why such a deity does not do something to help combat such evil. Many theologians and philosophers over the centuries have asked this question and we will now look at some of the answers they have given.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

If the Watchtower made a serious attempt to allow for this type of discussion, I might still be actively associated ;-)

Part of the problem is trying to tackle the issue when you begin the discussion with something to protect or insisting that the conclusion falls within the orthodoxy of revealed religion. The process is tainted from the outset.

That said, we are free to believe as we wish and its no one's business but our own. The difficulty arises when we fail to accord this same respect to others as is so often the case when we assert that our belief is correct and attempt to prove it. This is one of the great pitfalls of most revealed religions.

Deism offers a reasonable explanation to the problem of evil - perhaps the best. Among the Theistic arguments I've read, the best seem to be that God is very powerful, knows many things and can do some very important things but does have limitations.

It seems to me that mankind possesses the ability to eliminate much of the evil in the world once we make that a priority. Indeed, much progress has been made on many fronts. This seems to be a natural process of human and societal evolution.

The Watchtower's attempts to deal with these issues are weak because their belief system is one of revealed religion. While the Bible is an enormoulsy important volume of ancient Hebrew writing, we've managed to learn quite a bit in recent centuries and any belief system that is going to hold up to serious scrutiny should probably be able to account for that which can be observed or what some term "natural" religion.

Then again, if it all made sense we wouldn't call it faith and there wouldn't be any need to "believe", would there ;-)

Fascinating stuff - good post.

Lee

• Farkel
    Farkel

Greetings JT,

: The thing to note about theodicy is that none of the main aspects of the problem change: God is still all-good, omniscient and omnipotent; evil still seems to exist. The difference is, however, that some reason is given to explain how all of these things can be true at the same time.

Are you sure they're not talking about theoidiocy? ...

Farkel

• JT
    JT

Lee

my wife loved your post- great points

Farkel

you are just being bad

love it

• freeborg
    freeborg

Why does god permit evil? Because he doesnt exist!

Just a thought.

• JT
    JT

freeborg

you would enjoy this class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit