Do Elders give ''goodbye'' talks when leaving their congregations?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

I've had the same Elders in my congregation for the last 25 years. They've added two new Elders in the last five years. None of them have ever moved to another congregation.

I would like to know: If an Elder decides to move to another congregation,will they let him give a little ''goodbye'' talk at the service meeting to thank everyone? Or,is that frowned upon because the ''glory'' belongs to Jehovah and not the Elder?

• dozy
    dozy

No - never done. Usually (assuming the elder has been given a recommendation) they get a brief "thanks for all your work & Jehovah's blessing in your new assignment" mention at the end of their last meeting.

• designs
    designs

We were given a Picnic when we left the LA area congrregation we had been in, the one we moved to was like walking into an inferno, I heard they actually got reported to the Society for abuse of the publishers. More people went inactive or wrote in letters of DA than any I had ever experienced.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

Are you kidding? A chance to show actual emotion or appreciation? Fuggetaboutit.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I remember that a sister used a comment in the Watchtower Study to say goodbye and thank you to the congregation as she and her husband were 'moving where the need was greater'. That was really frowned upon and many people made bitchy comments about how she shouldn't have done that during the 'sacred' Watchtower Study. I think they even had a local needs 'item' a few weeks later about not making inappropriate comments - but the couple were already gone by then so a bit futile in terms of sneering at them.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Nope.

The borg doesn't allow, or acknowledge, love and appreciation; that must be done on your own time outside of the wash-towel sphere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit