Attending an International Assembly.

by man in black 15 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
  • Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Your post has come up blank. Try posting in IE or click on the compatability button.

• man in black
    man in black

I'll try this again from another computer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Where I work there is a 20 -something girl who is married, and they are planning to attend an international convention this summer.

She is not a "regular" employee, she gets sick time but no vacation.

Since late December 2011, she has used twelve sick days. Her reason is that she needs to fly out to New York /wt headquarters to be interviewed

by the executives to see if her and her husband are qualified to go to the convention.

Is this normal??

I mean is it worth getting your employer a little miffed, along with other workers so that you can get the OK for attending a religious rally ?

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

To them, yes. They think of it as "putting God(WTS) first". Anything else that happens is likely a "blessing in disquise". Add these to the fact that constantly hear experiences of ones basically pissing off employers, losing their jobs, etc in order to participate in a JW event and later they recieve a better job or something. It's all about what God(WTS) wants

• finally awake
    finally awake

I think she's full of crap - no one one here has ever mentioned needing to "interview" in New York to be allowed to attend an international convention. I think she's up to something else entirely.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

That doesn't sound right ,having to interview in order to go to an international ???? We had a group from our old hall go several yrs ago ,and it was all approved through letters of recommendation by BOE and CO/DO . Sounds like she is making excuses, because she wanted extra time off for volunteer business maybe @BEthel ...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Doing so is a complete waste of time and money. You can get the same rubbish locally. Just go to the a$$embly you are assigned to, and you avoid going to a foreign country (like in the Third World) along with the extra expenses and cancer scannings and gropings from the TSA. I never saw why anyone would want to attend one of those wastefests.

Even if they had one in New Zealand and you want to go there, you are still wasting your time. You have to pay for the trip, full price, and most of your time is wasted listening to rubbish. If I want to go and have the money, I want to actually enjoy the country and have fun, or look into moving there (including getting a job there or starting a business there). I don't want to waste 4-7 days sitting in some stadium watching some boring program when I could be out there touring the cities and/or riding along the countryside.

An even better way, taking much less time and costing barely anything, is seeing the program posted right here along with commentary. You avoid the rubbish that they use to obscure the main points, no motel costs or gas used driving, no bedbugs from a motel, and you can access it at your leisure. You also avoid having to dress up in suit (unless you feel like doing it). The total cost is the 10 minutes or so to view it plus the electricity you use, computer wear and tear (which is quite minimal), and whatever your IP charges (and that could be nothing because you are on a flat rate plan). Far cheaper than actually going.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Her reason is that she needs to fly out to New York /wt headquarters to be interviewed by the executives to see if her and her husband are qualified to go to the convention.

I've never heard of that before. It only requires approval by the local service committee to apply to be delegates. Then these tours require lots of money to actually be able to go.

Maybe she actually wants to get fired so that she can tell everyone how she "sacrificed a lucrative career" in order to attend the international convention. JWs have done stranger things than that.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I haven't heard any news for an international convention. I think the next one isn't until 2013 or 2014 From what I remember applications are usually in the fall. People find out late winter - spring time & as was said all correspondence is thru paperwork.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The congregation elders make the recommendation, there is no Branch or HQ "interview process" - it's total BS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit