WARNING.... Extremely disturbing and racist Awake! magazine (October 8, 1977)

by Alfred 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

Warning: Offensive and racist Awake! Magazine...

Really, how great are racial differences? Are they of such a degree that people of different races cannot live together as equals, and take real pleasure in one another’s company? For example, is there a big gap between the intelligence of people of various races? Or, do the races have a distinct body odor, making it objectionable for blacks and whites to live in close quarters with one another? –Awake! October 8, 1977 page 4

But still there are persistent views that hinder persons from applying this fine Scriptural counsel. A prominent one is that persons of other races than one’s own have an objectionable body odor. -Awake! October 8, 1977 page 16

In centuries past, when blacks were slaves and considered as property, whites often spoke about their body odor. In his recent book Race, John R. Baker says: “The authors of earlier centuries remarked on this subject with greater freedom than those of the present day. Thus Henry Home, in his Sketches of the History of Man, refers to the ‘rank smell’ of Negroes. In a work published in the same year (1774), The History of Jamaica, Long says that the Negroes are distinguished by their ‘bestial or fetid smell, which they all have to a greater or lesser degree.’” –Awake! October 8, 1977 page 17

I remember once pulling a crosscut saw with a young black my age in cutting down a tree. When he got hot, he really smelled! Ah! I thought, this proves what they say about blacks’ having a peculiar body odor. But I didn’t stop to consider that while I had taken a bath that day, he had very meager facilities for bathing in his humble home. Also, lack of early family training in hygiene likely diminished his incentive to take a bath often. –Awake! October 8, 1977 page 25

• dog is god
    dog is god

the borg....King of Crock

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

We had a woman get df'd in the late 1960's for marrying a black man...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

UHM! WOW! This was 1977! Three years before 1980. They were writing this crap? I remember 1977---we didn't talk this way. As a matter of fact, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I've heard such a notion about body odor. OMG. Leave it to the Awake to school me on a whole new level of racism.

• cofty
    cofty

I actually remember that Awake article, I would have been 14 at the time.

Was it not the whole point of the article to debunk those sort of offensive racist stereotypes?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Cofty, I think it must have been something like that. I was 12 at the time, but not a JW, and I remember very well that we were past this kind of thinking as a society. Of course, I lived in a diverse area, with kids from all kinds of backgrounds, but still, the world understood by this time that this was offensive.

NC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I gotta look this up. Something to show my wife who is a woman of color. "Yep honey, God is talking to some crazy old guys in New York and he sad black people smell. Sorry, it's God talking"

• Alfred
    Alfred

Cofty... You're correct... that's what the purpose of the article was... but they didn't do a very good job at it... in fact, aside from having the opposite affect of its intended purpose, this article was incredibly childish, irrelevant and completely unecessary IMHO...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

can someone post the article here?

• jam
    jam

Is this for real, I was in the borg. in 1977. I would

have definitely remerber that article and taken offense

aganist such A foolish article. If this was A print, then all

I can say, I had my head up my rear. Or maybe it was sent

only to the white congregation.

Share this

Google+