To Whom It May Concern: Avoid The Spirit Of Rehoboam

by JWB 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JWB
    JWB

"However, he [King Rehoboam] left the counsel of the older men with which they had advised him, and he began to take counsel with the young men that had grown up with him, who were the ones attending upon him. 9 And he went on to say to them: 'What is it that you are offering in counsel that we may reply to this people who have spoken to me, saying, "Make the yoke that your father put upon us lighter"?' 10 In turn the young men that had grown up with him spoke to him, saying: 'This is what you should say to this people who have spoken to you, saying, "Your father, for his part, made our yoke heavy, but, as for you, make it lighter upon us"; this is what you should speak to them, "My little finger itself will certainly be thicker than my father's hips. 11 And now my father, for his part, loaded upon you a heavy yoke; but I, for my part, shall add to your yoke. My father, for his part, chastised you with whips, but I, for my part, shall chastise you with scourges."' ... 18 Subsequently King Rehoboam sent Adoram, who was over those conscripted for forced labor, but all Israel pelted him with stones, so that he died. And King Rehoboam himself managed to get up into the chariot to flee to Jerusalem. 19 And the Israelites kept up their revolt against the house of David down to this day." (1 Kings 12:8-11, 18 & 19; NWT)

I think this is a great lesson in what happens when those in authority push people too far. Instead of understanding the people's concerns about how they had been treated by his father, Rehoboam made life even harder for them. If he had acted wisely and sort to lighten the load of the people he would probably not have had such opposition. New members of the GB could lighten the load of JWs by 'readjusting' their predecessors' laws on shunning. I think there was a time when it was only spiritual fellowship that was withdrawn from those who were disfellowshipped/disassociated. That was a more reasonable position. When you seek to interfere with family relationships by encouraging total ostracism you should expect some very strong feelings coming your way.

"For this is what Jehovah of armies has said, 'Following after [the] glory he has sent me to the nations that were despoiling you people; FOR HE THAT IS TOUCHING YOU IS TOUCHING MY EYEBALL.'" (Zechariah 2:7-8; NWT)

• Sulla
    Sulla

I suspect the GB are correct on this, JWB. That is, the toughness of rules like shunning are probably more effective at retaining JWs than a softer rule. There are more people who have a weak desire to leave the JWs than there are who have a very strong desire to leave the JWs. Therefore, by cranking down on the shunning rule, you are more likely to keep those who are on the fence. Probably every one of the significant number of "faders" would leave the JWs entirely if this rule were weakened.

A second-order positive effect is that it forces JWs who have family who have left to make a very hard choice. Either they disregard the shumming rule, or else they make a difficult sacrifice and follow the rule. If they disregard the rule, then the GB are just where they would be if they softened the rule for everybody. But if they follow the rule, they are psychologically pushed closer to the JWs.

So, the rule is probably working the way it is supposed to work. In this, it it probably similar to the rules regarding education: the tough rules are optimal from the viewpoint of the GB and aren't likely to change.

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

I am sure we can all point to one or two people within the congregation they attended that would have been gone long ago had the attitude been changed. They stayed simply because they could not afford to lose out on family.

How many of us here keep a low profile, simply because we don't want to cause trouble within our families?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit