Need Christian help with John 3:17 & 5:22, 27

by Wayward Son 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

On the surface these seem to contradict:

John 3:17 - For God sent forth his Son into the world, not for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him.

5:22 - For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the son...

5:27 - And he has given him authority to do judging, because Son of man he is.

Anyone willing to offer feedback?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

No contradiction.

John 3:17 - For God sent forth his Son into the world, not for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him.

Refers to Jesus born of Mary, during his first manifestation two thousand years ago. Judgment was to be delayed until his second return, or coming.

5:22 - For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the son...

5:27 - And he has given him authority to do judging, because Son of man he is.

Refers to the time after His future second coming.

• matt2414
    matt2414

I've always understood John 3:17 as meaning that Jesus came to the earth to save and not to judge. However, later, as the glorified Christ back in heaven, those who refuse to take advantage of Christ's undeserved kindness will be judged.

• tec
    tec

Christ does save. There is NO judgment for those who belong to Christ. He came to give life... and all those who belong to Him have that life. Christ has one book - a book of life.

He even says of Himself.

"As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say."

In another place He says that the people's (Jews) judge would be Moses, because it is Moses they look toward.

He does have the authority to judge, because God game it to Him. But it sounds as though Christ leaves people to their own masters - whomever they might be. If the law, then they are judged by the law. If they judge others, then they are judged in the same way that they did that judging. Sort of a reap what you sow kind of thing. It is in line with some other things that He taught... even to those who do not know that they belong to Him. Show mercy, and mercy will be shown to you. Do good to the least of his brothers, and you have done good to Him.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• Fernando
    Fernando

Religionists judge themselves unworthy of being saved by rejecting the "good news" of grace in favour of supremacist self-righteousness.

Just can't find the scripture that relates at the moment.

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

I knew there was an answer, I just couldn't come up with it last night. I appreciate everyone's time and comments. This helps a lot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit