Are all SPIRITUAL Christians liberal?

by Fernando 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fernando
    Fernando

In other words do they occupy the opposite end of the spectrum to the Westboro Baptist Church?

In other words is it "cognitive dissonance" that makes persons like Anne Rice defect from religion?

• Fernando
  • ~Question With Boldness~
    ~Question With Boldness~

I think the Westboro Baptist Church is in category all its own. Theres right, there's left, and then there's just plain nutcase.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do you mean charismatics? I don't know how you are defining "spiritual." I don't see any necessary correlation between spiritualty and politcal ideology. Catholics who are quite conservative in ritual are also active in social justice ministries. Catholocism is a good example. During Vietnam, Catholics were led to support and oppose the VietNam war b/c of their religion. There was Fr. Couglin, a right wing hater, and Daniel Berrigan, who dumped napalm on draft records and lit them.

Obama first came to national prominence when he addressed the Democratic Convention concerning the claiming of Christianity by right-wingers when the progressive Dems were very active in religious movements that stressed social justice. The civl rights movement, esp. in its early stages, was a black church movement.

I am wondering whether there is a correlation between politics and religion in Judaism. Are secular Jews more liberal than orthdox Jews? I don't know.

My gut says that more conservative religous people will tend to be more conservative politically. They have less of a tolerance for risk and want stability. I've lived in a very progressive world on the East corridor from Boston-NY-DC. It seems that birds of a feather flock together. No one in my crowd currently attends a conservative church. I assume social and class factors are also in play.

Spiritually seems an overused word. There must be social science data available that addresses the question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit