untitled

by myusername 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• myusername
    myusername

This is just my personal opinion and maybe there's a grain of truth in it. It's my opinion that many ex-JWs focus too much on how corrupt the religion is. It is corrup but there are always going to be organizations like that. The real issue, in my opinion, is why did a person join? For ex, my parents only joined while I was a minor. Some people may think it's great they left, but they have the same personalities that wanted to raise their children like that. In my particular case, both of my parents have narcissistic personality disorder. They're even worse now because NPD gets worse as people get older. I look at why my family is so abusive in the first place. Blaming the religion feels like scapegoating the real, deeper issues where denial could be really active.

Ok, that's just one person's opinion.

• its_me!
    its_me!

I was born-in. It sucked. What's wrong with focusing on the corruption? Organizations who are corrupt should be exposed. People should be warned.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My father became a Witness in his late 20's and my mother is a born. As such, I was raised in the religion along with my siblings. I take no great joy in pointing out the flaws of the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses or any other religion. I am pretty much an athiest, now, but I have no problem with people being part of a religion.

My issue is with the fact that there is no respectible way out of the religion. You are either in and in all the way or you are out. If you are out that means all who are in are to shun you.

I realize if you are aware of the shunning aspect of the religion prior to joining that it's on you. However, how does a born-in child whose parents force them into dedication/baptism deal with this? I was a high school sophomore when my father told our congregation presiding overseer that I wanted to get baptised. What was I supposed to say when the presiding overseer asked me if that were true?

I've been inactive for about 6 years and out for the last 3 to 4 years. My parents and sister shun me. If I tell them my reasonning behind why I chose to opt out I will be labelled as an apostate and they will refuse to speak to me.

Why did I join? The word I would best use to answer that question would be "duress". The minute I graguated from high school I would have been kicked to the streets by my parents if I had not joined as a child.

If would be different if the "Truth" were the truth and I just wanted to follow my sinful heart and to hell with the consequences. The point is, it's not "the Truth" or even the truth. I've lost my relationship with my parents and sister because of it.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Blaming the religion feels like scapegoating the real, deeper issues where denial could be really active.

I agree, dear MUN (peace to you!); however, that is actually a different issue and in no way negates the corruption, hypocrisy, falsehood, and adultery of that organization. It's only a problem when people try to put ALL of the blame... for their actions of those of their parents/ancestors on that organization. It really is a 50/50 deal: the blind... leading... the blind. BOTH risk falling into the pit. While the blind [guides] should NOT mislead others... others should not allow themselves to BE misled.

Taking responsibility for one's choices (or, placing it where it should go... on the guides AND the followers, even if they are loved ones, as well as on oneself)... can lead one OUT of such "darkness." Blaming everyone else but oneself... including God... only keeps ones IN the darkness. Because it doesn't allow for mercy... and forgiveness... of the individuals involved. Satan (or "Satan", whatever) can't do this all by him/it self.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The real issue, in my opinion, is why did a person join?

Most people join out of naivety and ignorance, not taking in consideration of what really drives this organization

or whom are the ones at the helm. Since most people are bible theology ignorant, but they still contain an aspect

of believability and respect toward the bible, they let the WTS. publishing company teach them and that is where the real problem develops.

Add a measure of coercive fear into the teaching ( Armageddon) and people are emotionally and psychologically taken in.

And why do they continue to study and learn what the WTS. teaches them, because their very life is being threaten.

Fear is a great motivator to persuade people to act and behave the way you want them to act.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit