What are the worst pictures in My Book of Bible Stories?

by cedars 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

bsb

bsb

bsb

bsb

bsb

I never noticed this one before, look at the tent peg through the head of the guy on the ground!

bsb

bsb

• Glander
    Glander

"I'm ready for my close up, Mr DeMille..."

They restained themselves from showing how the dogs ate her body except for the palms of her hands and the soles of her feet.

Jezebel

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Wow, every one of those images are burned into my brain. I remember from the age of about 5 to 10 I would read that book over and over while at the meeting. Much more interesting, (and violent!) then the droning sounds coming from the stage.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I have a problem with the title of this thread.

It should read: Are There Any Pictures Suitable for Children in My Book of Bible Stories?

I remember the very moment I last opened a MBoBS and leafed through it. The thought that immediately went through my mind was, "This is just a bunch of bullshit made up by humans."

And the rest is history. . . .

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

You know until this thread, I never realized the amount of visible blood, gushing blood at that, present throughout the book. They really don't have any room to talk when it comes to violent video games, films, music, or anything else for that matter. By the way, is it me, or does the WT have an insationable thirst for violence?

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks everyone. After reading through some of other responses, and seeing the extra pictures courtesy of Mickey mouse, it's clear that a large percentage of the pictures in this book are entirely inappropriate for children. Heck, they may even have done us some damage on a sub-conscious level.

I can't understand how nobody thought when putting the book together "Hey, should we really be showing blood and violence so freely in a book for children?"

If I ever have children, I think I'll be sparing them the ordeal of reading it.

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Silly me, I thought this tread had to do with the Artistic Value, or lack thereof, of the paintings in this atrocious little tome!

I'm a musician, I naturally gravitate towards the aesthetic.

The "artwork" in this book is so incredibly bad that, even when I was a True Believer TM, I was embarrassed to offer this book at the door!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

CEDARS: I can't understand how nobody thought when putting the book together "Hey, should we really be showing blood and violence so freely in a book for children?"

Au contraire mon ami, they WANTED to scare the hell out of the little ones!!! I woulda' thought a smart guy like you woulda' figured that out by now.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Ah memories. I was an older child when the book came out (about 11-ish?). I liked the Jezebel picture ... only because I liked the dark, velvety red shade of her dress (the later reprint made it brighter and ruined it). And the carnage in the pics never really affected me - thought nothing of it.

Now as parents ... hmm ... is our recoiling from these pics down to our naturally wanting to protect our kids from encountering life's horrors?

But then, don't kids like scary stories, violence and a little gore? (What about some of the costumes and pranks at Halloween?)

The overriding problem is not so much the pictures but what the accompanying, underlying message is giving out - the subtext - "this might be you if you don't do things 'God's' way."

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Oh yes, I will never forget the picture of the little girl and her puppy laying in the bottom of a dirt trench with her bicycle. How disgusting was that! Thinking back on all of the pictures WT uses in it's books I think it's nothing less than spiritual abuse of children as well as all of the members. They have a blood fetish too.

I don't have a picture to scan of that little girl with the dead puppy, but I clearly remember seeing this picture in the older children's bible study book. The Paradise Lost book.

Shana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit