Warwick Construction-New Headquarters

by Purza 5 Replies latest social current

• Purza
    Purza

Greetings. You don't see me posting very often, but I do read the site frequently. My husband (who is an urban planner) came across a "blurb" in an engineering magazine. I have a scan of the blurb, but have no idea how to post. Anyway it says this:

New York: The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is planning to build a new headquarters complex in Warwick. Totally 832,000 sq ft, the project encompasses 12 buildings, including a three to four story office building; a 195,000 sq ft place of worship. four five story multi-unit residental buildings totalling 400,000 sq ft; a 137,000 sq ft service building; a two-story 100,000 sq. ft maintenance building and 750 space underground parking garage. The architect is Perkins Eastman. The construction cost is estimated at more than $50 million. Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, 25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn 11201. DR #10-00630075.

Source: Engineering News Record December 5, 2011. If anyone wants the scan, I can email it to them.

Just found it interesting looking at the dollar amount and wondering why they need a "new" complex.

Purza

• sir82
    sir82
    wondering why they need a "new" complex.

Because they have realized they can sell their Brooklyn properties for $ 1 billion + - at least they can do so when the market somewhat recovers.

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

Maybe now they can afford to build some KH's in the third world countries that can't afford them.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Is there anything about that Olympic pool and basketball courts they were building?

• whathappened
    whathappened

Are they really going to have a pool and basketball court??? That doesn't sound fair to the Governing Body members who like to play tennis or bowl!!!

• sd-7
    sd-7

$50 million??? So much for keeping your eye simple...

"Why this waste? For the contributions to the worldwide work could have been used to help the poor!" (This he said, because he realized that building a new headquarters for a handful of brothers was probably not as important as helping people who actually need homes, food, that sort of thing.)

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit