Sylvia Plath (Writer, Poet)

by alias 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• alias
    alias

So I picked a book at the library recently containing a few years of Sylvia Plath's published journals.

Never read her before and knew little about her story.

I started reading and felt like I was experiencing another version of myself.

Where was I at age 18? A repressed writer longing to fit into this world.

My first 25 years were sacrificed to 'right around the corner.'

Ever since I've been a budding creative.

Still, her words and story haunt me.

alias

• no more kool aid
  • hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Her complete poems (1980) won a prestigious award. The last ones are sore to bear, but very raw in their honesty.

The juvenilia in the same volume are so good, that they would be seen as outstanding by a lesser poet.

Her novel "The Bell Jar" written just before her suicide is well worth reading.

HB

• cedars
    cedars

Can't remember how to embed YouTube videos, but thought this song was appropriate from one of my all-time favourite artists...

http://youtu.be/b9aTpVf7B_0

• alias
    alias

hamsterbait,

I picked up 'The Bell Jar' and 'Letters Home' last night.

She wanted others to experience her so much.

She'll never know how much they do.

alias

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I think Sylvia Plath translates well for young female writers. The first mention I found relating to her was in Mademoiselle magazine, which was like Glamour but targeted for the female intellengentsia crowd still interested in makeup and fashion. She was a staff writer for a while. Feminism was super hot when I was in college so everyone read Plath and Virginia Wolff. I liked her books but was not a ga ga fan.

Her personal life seemed to be too celebrated. Also, in those times, it was presented as her only choice given male chauvinism. Ted Hughes success always bothered me. I didn't even know the man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit