Keeping Records

by truthseeker1969 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Ok who can definitively answer how long the society keeps records before having to "chuck 'em out"?

I know the law in Europe makes it clear that they can not be kept any "longer than necessary", but gives no time frame to use.

Any Elders in the UK have a clue? In the US they have no such law so I know they can hold on as long as they like, case in point. A brother DF'd 38 years ago in the US still had his record on file, one in the UK 6 years ago had no records other than his baptism!

Any input would help

TS69

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Any Elders in the UK have a clue? In the US they have no such law so I know they can hold on as long as they like, case in point. A brother DF'd 38 years ago in the US still had his record on file,

Last I knew, US Congs retained DF/DA records indefinitely or until that person was Reinstated. JC matters that resulted in reproof were maintained for 3 years (I think) after all the restrictions were removed and the individual was back in "good standing".....so, if you were reproved and faded, the records are still in the "confidential file". Years ago, publisher record cards were maintained for only 8 years. I have only heard rumors, so perhaps someone can confirm, that they are not maintained indefinitely. If true, I suspect this might be so they have the option of pursuing a "problem" former member with the threat of DF even many years after they have ceased any association.

I like the law in Europe (or least GB) that a person can demand a copy of all records on file about them from any source, including religious associations. This should cause serious concern about maintaining needless files on people that may someday have the potential for some liability. Easier just to shred them and move on.

DOC

• wobble
    wobble

Here in the U.K we can ask for a copy of all that is held on us, we have little way of proving if more is held, I don't recall anyone being told that S77 and similar forms are held, but they are, they might, might note, remove them after your death has been confirmed, but who knows.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I don't recall anyone being told that S77 and similar forms are held

Seems I've seen it posted that they are NOT maintained in anywhere at the local cong level in the UK. I wonder if perhaps "sensitive" matters might be sent to US Headquarters and thus bypass the law?

DOC

• blondie
  • Quirky1
    Quirky1

What about the US Blondie?

~Q

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Wobble thanks for your post. I understand that with the DPA the Information Officer can issue a warrant to gain access to the information if a person feels that they are withholding information about them.

I honestly believe that although the act was brought in 1998 that the society took advantage of the window of three years for implementation to send illegally the information to the US.

It is interesting that although your sins be scarlet they be washed white as snow never seems to apply to the society and it has nothing to do with keeping the congregation clean, too many articles about 'double life"

However, the law does not apply to them does it until they are caught and then it is persecution!

Interesting is noting that on page 153 of the "organized" book not one scripture is quoted for "re-instatement" hmmm however they believe that an appeal is a "kindness" extended or in other words we do get it wrong.

How sad it is that the love of money supercedes the scriptures and forgiveness. It is better to throw decades old dirt at someone than to lose some money should they do anything again in the future.

How sad, how very very sad!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

In the United States, each state and territory will have different rules. B/c this is the US and not the UK, I can't see legislators revved up to pass legislation that might impact a religion. We bend over backwards to accomodate religion. It sickens me. A rule that only affected certain religions would quickly be held invalid. It would have to also impact every group, Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Methodiest, Baptists--your wealthy and powerful religions. Anoter issue would be that one need to find a neutral way of enforcing the statute. Without monitoring, any law is importent. Yet the monitoring itself might make it unconstitutional.

Recent legislation sets definite standards for how long business records must be kept. Most lawyers urge their clients to routinely purge their files on a definite time basis. It is not good for any org. or business to have records hanging around, that could be discovered and show liability. If you purge them routinely, you are generally protected from any accusation of a cover up. I wonder if the elders somehow mistakenly feel more powerful with the records or if they are kept for blackmail reasons.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Regardless of the "rule" someone would have to read it, and then have the spare time to implement it.

Most C.O.s and Secretaries are not used to office work. It takes A LOT of time to organize OLD congregation files, so it is rarely done, if ever. Sometimes introduction letters are just a couple of lines long. I have seen a couple on scratch paper, one on a napkin!!

Most publishers get a generic form letter. "Nice publishers sorry to see them move, ". Any mean stuff (rare) is transmitted by telephone. Generally, few really care about "the sheep."

The Society has discouraged putting much in writting for years... for obvious reasons. That policy works well for most elders who have little education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit