Can God or the supernatural really be defined in a useful way?

by mankkeli 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

1) No, this is why the non-existance of God is unproveable
    2) Yes, I'll supply a definition
    3) Maybe, I think its possible but I don't know any reasonable definition. I can explain why some other definitions are unreasonable
    4) I don't care
    5) WTF

Here are some candidate definitions of God.

God is the God of Abraham and the God of the bible. In my opinion, this isn't totally bad and is the one I try to work from.

God is a personal "supernatural" creator of the universe who exists "outside time" and "outside the universe".

God is the first cause. The problem with this is, another

Here are some candidate definitions of "supernatural":

Supernatural means, outside the laws of nature.
    - problem how do we know what the laws of nature are and what supernatural effects are

Candidate definitions of "non-material"

-- Not composed of particles (matter) or light energy
    - problem what if a new entity is discovered

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting question but based on your track record it will soon descend inot the ridiculous so I will resist.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

First you would have to define what you mean by 'useful'. Useful to who and in what sense?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The 'supernatural' is just a container that some people have chosen to use for stuff they can't explain yet.

You would be better off spending your time and resources looking for the natural explanations, rather than pretending invisible space creatures did it.

• tec
    tec

God is the Father of Christ. He is as Christ showed Him to be. This is the only God I know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit