The Better Angels of our Nature

by cofty 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

In his new book "The Better Angels of our Nature" Harvard professor Steve Pinker argues that humans are becoming less violent.

" As Europe became more urban, cosmopolitan, commercial, industrialised and secular, it got safer. Perhaps as important is the increasing respect for women – violence is a problem not just of too many males but of too many young males... The human race has come to share the goal of finding ways of overcoming the universal appeal of aggression. The great social factors in reducing violence, he says, have been the end of slavery, the empowerment of women and the legalisation of homosexuality. Also, contraception has become cheaper, resulting in fewer children to unwilling parents.

Another change is the great revulsion from corporal punishment of children..... read more"

We were indoctrinated with the idea that the world is getting steadily worse; as an evangelical I was taught a similar mantra. I have long believed the opposite is true. I look forward to reading the evidence.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Interesting cofty. This just reminded me of a similar article I seen in the Huffington Post the other week, which also mentions Pinker's book...

World Becoming Less Violent: Despite Global Conflict, Statistics Show Violence In Steady Decline

Some stat highlights...

• The number of people killed in battle – calculated per 100,000 population – has dropped by 1,000-fold over the centuries as civilizations evolved. Before there were organized countries, battles killed on average more than 500 out of every 100,000 people. In 19th century France, it was 70. In the 20th century with two world wars and a few genocides, it was 60. Now battlefield deaths are down to three-tenths of a person per 100,000.

• The rate of genocide deaths per world population was 1,400 times higher in 1942 than in 2008.

• There were fewer than 20 democracies in 1946. Now there are close to 100. Meanwhile, the number of authoritarian countries has dropped from a high of almost 90 in 1976 to about 25 now.

• cofty
    cofty

Since I left the borg - or to be more accurate since I left the evangelical church 9 years after that - I have become very optimistic for the future of humanity.

Of course its easy to point at how dreadful the world is right now but compare it to previous generations.

• clarity
    clarity

Thanks for posting this cofty, I heard Steve Pinker on Coast to Coast and found him to be very interesting, with a whole lot of great arguments about the world not being "worse"!

Don't hear about a lot of lynchings now or little boys working down in the coal mines at 7 or 8 years old!

c

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

The article only talked about the United States and Europe. There was no mention of Central America, South America, Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia where overall the living conditions hasn't improved over the past century. I believe the world has gotten better in some aspects and worse in others.

• The number of people killed in battle – calculated per 100,000 population – has dropped by 1,000-fold over the centuries as civilizations evolved. Before there were organized countries, battles killed on average more than 500 out of every 100,000 people. In 19th century France, it was 70. In the 20th century with two world wars and a few genocides, it was 60. Now battlefield deaths are down to three-tenths of a person per 100,000.

This century just started, it's kind of ridiculous to compare 12 years of history to 100 years of history.

• The rate of genocide deaths per world population was 1,400 times higher in 1942 than in 2008.

Really? I wonder what was happening in 1942 that made the genocide rate so high? Another ridiculous comparison. Using your logic, New York City had more murders last decade than any other decade in the 19th and 18th century, which proves the world is getting more violent.

• There were fewer than 20 democracies in 1946. Now there are close to 100. Meanwhile, the number of authoritarian countries has dropped from a high of almost 90 in 1976 to about 25 now.

This means nothing. Democracy doesn't equal good. Iran is a democracy and they kill people for adultery. Israel is a democracy and they force the Palestinians to live in a prison with no rights or freedoms and kill anyone who protest or puts up any resistance. The United States is a democracy but the elected officals only vote in the interest of those who pay them, namely banks and corporations, not the people. Which is why in the United States if you get sick it's legal for the insurance company to drop your insurance and let you die because it will cost too much to save your life. Democracy means nothing.

• sizemik
    sizemik

booked for later . . .

• QuitWastingTIME

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit