Funny story by an ex-missionary/ ex CO mentioned in COC…

by Alfred 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Alfred
    Alfred

So a few months ago, I had dinner with an ex-missionary/ex-CO (mentioned in COC and Penton’s “Apocalypse Delayed”) and he had some really interesting and funny anecdotes about his time in Brooklyn Bethel and Spain. (I will ask him permission to reveal his name at a later time) But I just wanted to share one particular story that really made me laugh as it shows how ridiculous elders can behave after they’ve been thoroughly dumbed down by the WT leadership.

He explained that while he was serving in Spain, a trivial matter came up in one of his visits to a congo in Barcelona sometime in the late 70’s. The elder body of that congo approached him for advice on handling an issue with a “problematic” brother who had feelings for a sister in his congo. This brother was apparently seen holding hands with this sister by several JWs on a number of occasions. There was even one JW who saw this brother kiss the sister on her cheek in a public place. He had been counseled several times about this but continued to hold hands with this sister as he saw nothing wrong with this.

Eventually, the elders approached the sister to counsel her as well. When the “problematic” brother found out that the elders had asked to meet with her, he immediately defended her honor and told the elders to back off as she was doing absolutely nothing wrong Biblically and that they need not talk to her about this matter at any time. He even asked the elders for Biblical basis for their meddling in something as inconsequential as two people in love holding hands. Of course, they came up empty and were completely stumped.

By this time, this CO arrives for his week-long visit and is almost immediately approached by the elders about this incredibly insignificant matter. After the elders got done giving this CO a long drawn-out explanation about what was going on and all the counseling they gave this brother, the CO’s immediate response to the BOE was literally: “And???”… after which the elders just looked at each other in disbelief. And after a brief awkward silence, one of the elders asked the CO: “But shouldn’t we be holding a Judicial Committee for the way he’s behaving and for disrespecting our authority?” The CO said: “Look, it seems you are all spending way too much time dealing with ridiculous issues when you should be attending the needs of the congregation. I don’t think we need to discuss this issue any further. If you really don’t like my response, I strongly suggest that you write bethel about your concerns and ask them for direction. But as far as I’m concerned, this matter is closed.” He then went on to the next subject on the agenda.

A few weeks go by and this CO is asked to temporarily oversee the Service Department at the Barcelona (or Madrid? don't remember which) bethel. Then one morning, one of the bethelites working the correspondence desk approached him with a letter in his hand. It was a letter from the BOE of the congo with the “problematic” brother. The bethelite asked the CO to read the letter and give him advice on how to respond. When the CO saw the letter he told the bethelite: “Don’t worry about this letter brother, I’ll handle this one.” He then proceeded to answer the letter using numerous Biblical texts (forgot which ones, but he mentioned quite a few) to demonstrate just how ridiculous and vindictive the elders had become over such petty nonsense. Of course, when the BOE received the Service Dept’s “response” to their letter, it’s signed “Watchtower Bible & Tract” (as even the authors of letters are never revealed). So they had NO clue that the same CO that suggested writing to bethel was the same person who actually responded! That’s just classic!!! What are the odds?

Anyway, this ex-missionary/ex-CO mentioned that he stayed in the Service Department a few months longer before being reassigned to another district in Spain and never heard anything else on the matter. But it just goes to show how some BOE’s get caught up in the most insignificant BS while other more important matters are completely overlooked… By the way, this “ex-missionary/ex-CO” and his wife were ousted during the 1980 Brooklyn Bethel shake-down but they are doing just fine and are very happy.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So many of the Elders have NO other position with any kind of authority. They are dumbed down duds in dead end positions in life. All of a sudden they have authority over other peoples' lives. All of a sudden they believe they have God's magical HOLY SPIRIT giving them the wisdom of Solomon and directing their every thought.

When another person of the flock ignores them, as they easily see the ego overriding their reasoning, then Elder Dummy feels ignored, disrespected, foolish, and embarressed. The only other thing he can do is try to throw his Elder Title around to "earn" some respect -- something he's never had anywhere in life -- likely not even from his wife or children, who know better than anyone else what a dumbass he is.

DOC

• Farkel
    Farkel

LOL! Funny story. Elders are nothing more than grade-school hall monitors with a badge. In fact, the grade-school kids have more common sense than those fuckwits.

Farkel

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

that is funny!! holding hands???? what creepers!

• Ding
    Ding

No wonder this CO was ousted in the 1980s purge.

He didn't understand that there is nothing too trivial for the "faithful and discreet slave" organization to control.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The sad thing is that, based on my last congregation experience, I can perfectly believe this to be true.

The last body that I served with were so petty and vindictive that they could easily have reacted that way............

• fade_away
    fade_away

Ah yes, the deadly sin of holding hands...surely condemned somewhere in the ten comandments. That got me in trouble too back when I was "dating'. Just her, me and 15 chaperones making sure we don't touch. Very romantic.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Elders are nothing more than grade-school hall monitors with a badge.

In fact, the grade-school kids have more common sense than those fuckwits.

At least the grade-school kids have more future potential.......

DOC

• Gayle
    Gayle

Didn't they recently state that even married couples can't hold hands at the Hall, even during a prayer?

• Alfred
    Alfred

Ding said...

"No wonder this CO was ousted in the 1980s purge. He didn't understand that there is nothing too trivial for the "faithful and discreet slave" organization to control."

That would certainly appear to be the case... However, this ex-missionary/ex-CO told me that, when he and his wife got kicked out of bethel, they weren't doing anything wrong at all... in fact, they were actually on the WT's side when that purge took place!!!... the problem they had was that they were close friends with the wrong bethelites (the ones doing independant bible research, etc..) and were assumed to be guilty by mere association... this really woke them up and eventually led to their complete departure from this twisted religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit