High Court grants hospital permission to give blood to Jehovah's Witness child

by mankkeli 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

High Court grants hospital permission to give blood to Jehovah's Witness child

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 05:50 PM

The High Court has granted a Dublin maternity hospital orders allowing it to perform, if required, an emergency blood transfusion to the unborn child of a Jehovah's Witnesses couple who is at risk of being delivered prematurely.

Today the court heard the child's mother, who is approximately 26 weeks pregnant, presented to the Coombe Maternity Hospital in recent days with a spontaneous premature ruptured membrane.

Doctors at the hospital treating the woman, who cannot be identified by order of the court, say they can't predict exactly when the child will be delivered but that the likelihood of a premature birth is high.

They claim in the event the child is born in the next four to five weeks the infant "most likely will require a transfusion of blood or blood related products in order to safeguard the child's life and prevent it from sustaining serious injury."

However the parents, for religious reasons, have refused to give their consent to allow the hospital administer a transfusion to the child.

In his ruling today Mr Justice Kevin Feeney said that it was an appropriate and urgent case to make orders allowing the hospital to perform such treatment

The Judge, who made the order after hearing submissions from both the child's father and the hospital, said the court had to be mindful of the child safety, well being and medical integrity.

In those circumstances the court was satisfied to grant the hospital the orders it requires to perform any transfusion that the child may or may not require, he added.

Seeking the orders Eileen Barrington SC for the Chief Executive Officer of the Coombe hospital, said medical staff's concern for the child's health was due to of the high probability it will be born premature, particularly during the next four to five weeks.

The longer the birth can be delayed the better the chance of a successful outcome, counsel added.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/high-court-grants-hospital-permission-to-give-blood-to-jehovahs-witness-child-525342.html#ixzz1bolhKt4n
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Poor kid. Even if it lives its parents will be torn over how to feel about it. Glad the court did the right thing, though.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Good decision!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

glad the courts took control!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Just as a rehash on this barbarian WT religious law - how in hell could the witnesses (and especially the witness parents) think that their god could possibly judge them or this unborn child for a blood transfusion.

Do they seriously think that their god would cause this kid to not make it into the new system if it had a transfusion? Seriously??? It is not even born, let alone of decision making age or even baptised?

Do they think THEY might be held out of the paradise earth if they gave it this treatment? If I were the parents, I would not care if I could save that baby.

Or - lets tell it like it really is - do they fear that their JW congregation would shun them if they saved the life of this kid by giving the transfusion?

Great reason to let an innocent baby die, huh?

• Shrugged
    Shrugged

The jw say abortion is an abomination, but this is worse, this is to kill a newborn toddler.

I have a little child of my own, and it is beyond me how a parent is willing to let their own child die this way. I can not, and i will never be able to accept wt blood-policy. I t disgusts me!

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Everyone knows its customary for courts to temporary put the welfare of children first and command a blood transfusion. I guess at heart witnesses are glad for this cause it relieves them for the responsibility, yet they have done what they can do in upholding their religious convictions, whatever misplaces they might be.

• dozy
    dozy

But why take it as far as the courts? Total waste of time & money. Why don't the parents just sign a disclaimer that though they don't expressly give consent , that they would not pursue the hospital for damages if a transfusion was given?

Even when I was an active witness , my wife & I agreed that we would never let the current JW medical policies at any one time to dictate the medical treatment of our children. I know a lot of other JW parents feel the same , privately. It is very easy for a few middle aged & old men in Brooklyn , almost all of whom are childless , to deny treatment to others on the basis of a scripture that is open to any interpretation.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Remember how the JW's used to indoctrinate us as kids on the blood issue. It was funny when I got older and was dating a social worker. She told me getting a court order for JW kids to have a transfusion is routine and easy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit