WOW - CNN Contributor calls JW a cult!

by Iconoclast 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    Religious cults are very much us-versus-them. Their adherents are taught to think that they are the only ones who benefit from divine approval. They don’t like to engage in serious, respectful give-and-take dialogue with people with whom they disagree. Nor do they promote the kind of scholarship that works alongside others in pursuing the truth. Jehovah’s Witnesses, for instance, haven’t established a university. They don’t sponsor a law school or offer graduate-level courses in world religions. The same goes for Christian Science. If you want to call those groups cults I will not argue with you.

The article is on whether or not Mormonism is a cult and speaks about Mitt Romney. Then the author makes the above comment a few paragraphs down. Comments? What do you think? Do you think his definition of a cult is accuarte? I've always felt that Mormonism is a sister religion to Jehovah's Witnesses and I have never felt that Mormonism promotes equality of theology in conjunction with other religions. They feel that they are the saved ones, right? Just because they have a university, would that trump the idea that they are "taught to think that they are the only ones who benefit from divine approval?" Is that not the same as Jehovahs Witnesses, minus the school?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/09/my-take-this-evangelical-says-mormonism-isnt-a-cult/?hpt=hp_t2

• wannabefree
  • Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

So that just shores up my suspicions that this article was written as more of a PR article to try to sway the public's viewpoint on having a Mormon president instead of telling what really goes on. If people are reading this article on CNN, what is stopping them from opening another window and googling Mormonism for themselves. I'm sure countless pages of personal testimony about the shunning purposes and the lack of free will are out there. This article is nothing more than propaganda bull sh*t.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"They don’t like to engage in serious, respectful give-and-take dialogue"

Of course a dub could say that they call on your door and listen to your views and discuss it peaceably.....Which the do, out of necessity and politeness. When the family talk with me, it always descends into them getting angry and calling me stupid because I do not see their point of view.

"Their adherents are taught to think that they are the only ones who benefit from divine approval."

That is true of the WTS.

"They don’t sponsor a law school or offer graduate-level courses in world religions"

Ha Ha ! that is funny!....the very idea is an anathema to them

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses do practice discrediting of all other sources except the ones they specifically permit, usually themselves. Anyone that reads the Bible in fully integrated fashion hasn't been through THEIR program and thus will not be upheld as knowing about the Bible.

I notice this theme in various types of cults. The medical cult (which is run by the big drug companies and forces all those practicing medicine to go through) is no different. They do not respect anything unless it appears in journals that have been reviewed by the drug companies. Like the Washtowel religion, material that comes from independent sources (which is often far superior) is denigraded as "not having been through our system" and "not peer reviewed" (or "not coming through God's channel"). Those who realize that the cult is bogus and practice the truth (against the cult) are looked down on by the cult, often shunned by the Establishment. Often, they have their careers ruined when they go against the cult--very similar to the Jehovah's Witless cult.

I also notice that they are similar in attitude toward "worldly people". I have a dentist that consistently urges me to "be very careful about what Internet sites I visit" (sounds like the Washtowel cult). This person will not get past the use of fluoride (sounds like the Washtowel not getting past their own doctrine), despite that calcium and phosphate are the two major building blocks (like the hounders that will not accept the Bible instead of a washtowel rag as proof of a bad doctrine). And, they insist that I not use baking soda on my teeth despite that calcium hydroxy-phosphate is the dominant form of mineral in teeth (sounds like not using your Bible as the primary source of information about the Bible). They claim that, since I did not go through the ADA approved course (and neither did most of the people writing up those articles--they are mere chemists that study minerals like that for a living), they are invalid (like the Washtowel claiming that, without their own material, you cannot understand the Bible).

Business cults are similar. I looked into a MLM called Herbalife, and they try to instruct you as to what to say about their products. I noticed the following problems with their products: The ingredients were very questionable (acesulfame K, aspartame, sodium caseinate). They were no better than cheaper products you find in drug and department stores. They had no net weight in the catalogs--and I checked (the law says that you have to indicate how much product you get for that price). And, they asked for sales tax in my home state (I'm no business expert, but I know that you charge the tax in the state the product is delivered to and not the state where the product is sold from.) The difference is that the rules are less rigorously enforced, with the primary threat being that you will fail in your business.

And yes, I will call the Jehovah's Witlesses a cult. They are every bit as reluctant to allow independent sources as credible information as the medical system and other religious cults, and even worse than most business cults. They do occupy all your time (like the medical system and most business cults). You are always researching through Establishment sources, never allowed to do your own. And, they waste huge amounts of time trying to recruit new people.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

I've seen businesses selling items in a very similar fashion to the JW's. It suprised me. I was a born in and did not realize that the type of "witnessing" they do is actually a very old marketing technique. It's all marketing. When I realized how similar the two were, down to practacing the sales pitch before presenting, it was the beginning of the end for me. It's like I peeked behind the curtain. I was maybe 15 at that time. When I brought this up to my elder grandfather, he dismissed it saying that witnesses are natural salesmen because of the extensive training from the Ministery School and that it was only natural that a person would migrate into that type of business structure. It astonished me that he could see one way down the tunnel but not see the implications that it gave looking down the reversal. If they're really good at marketing sales, how is the ministry any different from selling memberships? You find leads, you nurture them, you make the sale. He just didn't see the relavance I was trying to make.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit