JW Funerals

by outsmartthesystem 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

This is kinda out of the blue....but was brought on by the sad announcement from JWFACTS of the passing of his father. Thankfully, that funeral talk was evidently a respectable one......but I have now been to two JW funerals myself in the past 2 years. I have been extremely dismayed by the talk given in both of them. Yes....the person's life was remembered and yes some personal accomplishments were mentioned.....and yes the person's family was mentioned. But I swear.....half the damn talk was spent preaching about a wonderful fairytale new system and what conditions will be like and God's purpose for the earth and blah blah blah. Seriously both elders managed to get a 15 minute preaching discourse into the funeral talk. It was sickening. Is this a new thing now? Are funeral talk outlines now all about glorifying the organization?

And the responses of all the JWs are getting worse and worse. I was watching as JW after JW said somethign to the grieving non-witness family. Most were honestly heart felt with their condolences......yet 4 out of 5 had to get in a plug about being a witness. "God is a loving God and he would not have taken your family member away from you to be with him". "Please study with us and learn the truth.....then you'll be able to see him again in the new system".

Seriously.....is there EVER a circumstance where an uber-JW feels it might NOT be a good idea to preach?

• cantleave
    cantleave

The outline for a funeral talk is very prescribed and the sales pitch is a major part of it. But sadly it isn't new. They have always used funerals as an opportunity to recruit.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

This bothered me even as a child when I had no known doubts about the organization. I don't remember any JW funeral (or should I say 'Memorial Service') ever be anything more than 2-3 minutes about the person who died's life, and the rest all about the religion, earthly hope, etc. It was just a giant commercial for the JW religion. You couldn't get married or die without having the organization upstaging you.

• stillin
    stillin

somebody here used the word "infomercial." That about says it...

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

The organization has actually pulled back on the sales pitch portion, and allowed more to be said about the individual. I saw a funeral talk outline in the early 1970s, and it was like a Public Talk at the KH. It covered the whole life, death, 144,000, other sheep/great crowd spectrum of Witness beliefs.

The idea was to 'take this fine opportunity to give a thorough witness'. Seems like it was a 45 min outline.

I look back on those talks and am definitely sickened by the memory of them, because they were geared to promote the organization, and the person who died was simply used as a spring board to advance the Society's interests.

• Ding
    Ding

The WTS follows the same pattern with Jesus.

Is the "Memorial" really about gratitude for Jesus' life and sacrifice?

Doesn't it really center on the "faithful and discreet slave organization"?

• Poztate
    Poztate

This is the outline from 2008..It is still all about THEM

They do everything but offer a "free" home book study at the end.

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    By whom the deceased is survived
    Dedication record, including privileges of service
    Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED
    Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    Appreciated God’s purpose regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)
    Why good people die
    Disobedience of Adam (Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)
    Offspring inherited death (Rom. 5:12)
    Condition of the dead
    Soul is mortal (Ezek. 18:4, 20)
    Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    The resurrection hope
    Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    Christ’s resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)
    For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)
    “Other sheep” resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)
    Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon
    Others too are in line for resurrection (Acts 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING
    Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE
    While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah’s name (Prov. 27:11)
    Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will (1 Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Opening with prayer is optional. Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this
    outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this respect.
    Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose
    of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the
    bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 111 is optional. A brief prayer at the close is fitting. When
    arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the hope through the Kingdom,
    reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and 1 Corinthians 15:54b-57. This service may also
    be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk
    need not exceed 30 minutes.)
    Funeral Discourse
    S-32-E 2/11
    ? 2008Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania All Rights Reserved

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Thanks Poztate. That truly is depressing. It is amazing that such a funeral talk sales pitch seemed so normal when I was an uber-JW

• ssn587
    ssn587

when my wife died, romans 12:15 didn't seem to apply, as I am sure those of you who have lost a loved one know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit