Education is one of the ways we could use to recover from WBTS syndrome.

by african GB Member 7 Replies latest jw friends

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

I have personally experienced a lot of change in my life after taking up further/ higher education. I no longer blindly blame JW's for everything, instead, I look at both sides of the story without being judgemental. I also tackle or attack issues and not the people.

I look at JW's as victims, which means even if they knock at my door i do not swear or shout at them, after all they are just messengers.

All this and others that i did not mention above came to be after i took up higher education.

I would like to advice those that have not thought about it to give it a try.

• designs
    designs

College, University, Trade School

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"If you go to college, you'll fall out of The Truth."

Evidently.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I agree. It validated a lot of my gut feelings I had about the Witnesses. I don't hate individual Witnesses but I feel there is much to criticize with the WTBTS. In fact, I try to filter my rage out of the equation. Adjusting for my hatred, The WTBTS is still despicable. The doctrines don't bother me. It is the control that is so ugly.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Critical thinking skills are a must.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Said this already on another thread but the one thing that stood out during a kind of student orientation day at my local U was that the want you to leave school with GOOD CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Not everyone is able to do college. I wonder what other experiences teach critical thinking skills, assertion, and some healthy skepticism. There must be a way besides college.

Speaking of JW syndrome, I notice that my ability to be properly assertive varies with my surroundings. Moving to a more rural area has thrown me for a loop. I am so out of the dominant culture that it reminds me of growing up a Witness.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

AGBM, how you doing?

It turns out that education is the answer to everything.

Overpopulation, crime, disease, etc. Every problem gets better addressed when the people involved get more education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit