First Attempt with my mom

by jworld 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• jworld
    jworld

This was to much, I had to write my mom in an attempt to see if she would think outside of the box. I have brought this subject up with them before regarding how the Truth really isn't being preached in the entire earth and what that means for all those people.

This is what I sent:

Iran's Supreme Court says an evangelical pastor charged with apostasy can be executed if he does not recant his faith, according to a copy of the verdict obtained by a religious rights activist group.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/14/evangelical-pastor-in-iran-may-face-death-if-doesnt-recant/#ixzz1S7aesRf9

It's an interesting topic. I always have wondered how Jehovah will deal with this situation and all of the people trapped by a very militant form of religion? If you were unlucky enough to be born in a place like that the deck is really stacked against you!

Sadly she replied with a sort of canned response:

Well, there are accounts in the Bible of people who were in nations that
    didn't worship Jehovah (Rahab, for one). She recognized the truth, and
    took a chance with not only HER life, but the lives of her family.
    Jehovah saved her and she became an ancestress of Jesus -- despite the
    fact that for the first part of her life she was a pagan worshipper. I
    guess Jehovah knows the hearts of individuals, and can protect them.

Any suggestions on a follow up? I don't want to directly attack WT doctine but try to get her to think more. My mom has already admited the Governing Body doesn't know what the generation in Jesus parable means. I'm trying to get her to think about other teachings.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I'm trying to get her to think about other teachings.

Keep hammering the nail you already have.

Ask generation questions. Get her to expand on it. What about the many implications? Then ..... does she have other problems like that? Try to get her to bring up a subject and do the talking.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Well, there are accounts in the Bible of people who were in nations that didn't worship Jehovah (Rahab, for one)

I'm suprised Ol' Mom didn't bring up the account of Shadrack Meshack and Abednego who were thrown into the firey furnace rather than bow down to Baal...always an old standby, not that it would apply in this case since the Evangelical Pastor will die in vain seeing as how God only accepts sacrafices made by Jehovah's Witnesses.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I guess Jehovah knows the hearts of individuals, and can protect them.

What is the point of the preaching work if Jehovah has to resort to heart reading in the end anyway?

-Sab

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The official Watchtower teaching is that a good heart is not enough - you must be part of the organization. It is a good point to pursue, as she will hold to what she wants to believe and now know inside that she does question some of what the GB say.

"Similarly, Jehovah is using only one organization today to accomplish his will. To receive everlasting life in the earthly Paradise we must identify that organization and serve God as part of it." Watchtower 1983 Feb. 15 p.12
      "Any person who wants to survive into God's righteous new order urgently needs to come into a right relationship with Jehovah and His earthly organization now.? Why is there such an urgency about coming to Jehovah's true worship now? Could not a sincere person wait until he actually sees Jehovah's executional judgments beginning, and then quickly come over to His side? While that might sound appealing to some, would there then be enough time to build the right relationship with Jehovah? The evidence from the Scriptures answers, No." Watchtower 1981 Nov 15 pp.16-17
        "The Watchtower of August 15, 1996, said: "In the final part of the tribulation, 'flesh' that has fled to Jehovah's side will be saved." Is that suggesting that after the first phase of the great tribulation, many new ones will come over to God's side? That was not the point being made. ? As to whether any new ones may be able to learn the truth and come over to God's side after the great tribulation begins, note Jesus' words recorded at Matthew 24:29-31. After the outbreak of the tribulation, the sign of the Son of man will appear. Jesus said that all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves and lament. He did not say anything about people waking up to the situation, repenting, taking God's side, and becoming true disciples.
    • ABibleStudent
      ABibleStudent

Well, there are accounts in the Bible of people who were in nations that
      didn't worship Jehovah (Rahab, for one). She recognized the truth, and
      took a chance with not only HER life, but the lives of her family.
      Jehovah saved her and she became an ancestress of Jesus -- despite the
      fact that for the first part of her life she was a pagan worshipper. I
      guess Jehovah knows the hearts of individuals, and can protect them.

Hi jworld. Since your mother admitted that Jehovah knows the hearts of individuals and can protect them, does that mean that Jehovah will protect "Worldly" people too during the Apocalypse? Ask your mother simple questions based on her answers. I would ask your mother also for more examples from the Bible of people who did not worship Jehovah? What about the Samaritan woman who gave Jesus water?

Unless your mother is shunning you or you feel that she will shun you if you get Df'ed, wouldn't it be better to spend time with your mother doing fun things with "Worldly" people away from JWs? Why is your mother a JW? Is it because she has JW friends and is afraid to do things that she likes that might put her in situations where she will meet more "Worldly" friends? If your mother believes that the GB doesn't know what generation is meant in Jesus parable, then wouldn't it be a good idea to help your mother to learn about investing money for her retirement. My point is that the more interests that your mother has outside of the WTBTS the easier it will be to get her away from the WTBTS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• jworld
      jworld

Why is my mother a JW? That is a question I have recently been asking myself. I think she was looking for some religious answers during what was a turbulent time in American History (she came of age in the 60’s) and JW’s have an answer for everything! I think that was amazing to her at first. Now though I wonder what has kept her in. I suppose a degree of “godly fear”. I agree with the comical assessment of people here, the WT’s killer God will get you if you don’t do what we say. I suppose that becomes your life after a while.

Thanks JWfacts. As always your line of reasoning is spot on. I’ve been reading your website a lot lately. I know the increase in memorial partakers, the latest write up about the new anointed being mentally unstable, and the generation flip flop has given her what seems like doubts. I have never heard her talk negatively about this stuff and over the last few months she has. I don’t want to screw this up because I know each individual has to connect the dots on their own. It’s difficult to know where to apply pressure. I guess through a casual conversation over time it will develop. I might reply with something about the organization. Or just that I agree, Jehovah is the one who will read people’s hearts in the end.

• Black Sheep
      Black Sheep

You could always read WTs in her company, asking questions like, "Do you think that new annointed are mentally unstable?" and "When were the new GB members annointed?"

Current literature can be a good sourse of subject material. Keep an eye out for dishonesty and crazy stuff and get her to explain any you find.

• jworld
      jworld

I had another conversation with my mom. This time she was telling me about her bible study. She said they were covering 1914. I replied and said I'm surprised that is still covered!

This is what she said:

"Well, we are doing chapter 9 in the Bible Teach Book -- Are We Living in 'the Last Days"?

I had skirted all around why we believe the kingdom was established in 1914 chronologically, but finally decided to use the information from the Appendix. She obviously has had the help of Holy Spirit in gaining the understanding of what she has already learned, so I figured we would go through it. She seemed to grasp it pretty well, but I told her to look over the information again, and go thru the scriptures, so we'll see how it goes next time. I have attached the information with this email."

I had to laugh at the idea that the holy spirit helps people learn watchtower doctrine. It's amazing just how the stars have to align to convert a JW. You have to be the luckiest person on earth. First you have to be born in a nation where there are at least some JW's. Then you have to be home when they call, and subsequent calls. You have to be in a position where you are open to religion (usually only after a major life event). Then you have to roll the dice with the holy spirit. It's shocking anyone can beat those odds.

Anyway the attachment contains the information from the What Does the Bible Really teach book.

It starts:

DECADES in advance, Bible students proclaimed that there would be significant developments in 1914. What were these, and what evidence points to 1914 as such an important year?

I replied and said that is not a transparent statement, since prior to 1914 the bible students believed that 1914 would mark the end of Armageddon and the anointed would all be taken to heaven. Only after 1914 did the significance of the date become more clear.

I chose not to refute 1914 directly (since really you can’t refute it totally you can only argie it endlessly) but simply point out what is a fact, that 1914 had a different significance for JW’s prior to 1914 and it changed after the date. It’s shocking how it’s worded just so, that the bible study is led to believe the Holy Spirit guided the organization prior to the date.

I haven’t received a response yet.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit