The Biblical Definition of an Apostate!

by TimothyT 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Recently, a sister in my congregation started asking me why I no longer go to meetings or on field service. She got upset as she knows that I don’t believe the ‘Faithful and Discreet Slave’ teaching. She said I should be careful as some brothers may start calling me an apostate. I am a very studious person and like many on here, I don’t think I have fallen away from God and the bible. By JW standards I have. But what is an apostate? Here are some thoughts from the Watchtower, 15 July 2011 , p.15-18.

(Para 4) Like “ravenous wolves,” false teachers are out to devour trusting members of the congregation, destroying their faith and leading them away from the truth.

(2 Timothy2:18) These very [men] have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some.

Is this me? Is this you? I certainly don’t want to destroy anyone’s faith or lead them away from the truth. My goal in life is to help as many people learn the truth as possible. Hence: I’m not an apostate. J What about the organisation?

(Para 5) They spread “deceptive teachings,” “twisting… the Scriptures” to fit their own ideas… Clearly, apostates do not have our best interests at heart.

(2 Peter2:1) However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among YOU. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects and will disown even the owner that bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves.

(2 Peter 3:16) speaking about these things as he does also in all [his] letters. In them, however, are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unsteady are twisting, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Again, I have no intention on spreading deceptive teachings contrary to Christ. I’m sure that the majority here do not want to either. What about the organisation? Do they twist scriptures to fit their own ideas? Are they teaching things contrary to Christ? Perhaps they should be careful. (Matthew 7:3-5)

(Para 6) How can we protect ourselves against false teachers? The Bible’s counsel regarding how to deal with them is clear… “Avoid them,” says God’s Word.

(Romans 16:17) Now I exhort YOU, brothers, to keep your eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that YOU have learned, and avoid them.

There it is everyone! Avoid those who lead you away from the truth. Anyone who twists the teachings of Christ for whatever reason or who misguides you about his teachings should be avoided. Is this me? Is this you? Does this include the organisation?

(Para 7) We love “the God of truth,” so we are not interested in twisted teachings that contradict his Word of truth… We also love Jehovah’s organization, through which we have been taught thrilling truths—including Jehovah’s name and its meaning, God’s purpose for the earth, the condition of the dead, and the hope of the resurrection.

Yes! Who would want to contradict the teachings of truth?! Here is an interesting point: the organisation has taught us thrilling truths. I’m pretty certain that those thrilling truths mentioned above all come from the bible. It appears to me the organisation is trying to take credit for something which doesn’t belong to them. Has the organisation contradicted the word of truth?

(Para 8) Let us be determined to remain loyal to Jehovah and to the organization that has a long record of quenching our thirst with the pure and refreshing waters of truth from God’s inspired Word.

Again I believe this is questionable. I’m happy to remain loyal to Jehovah, but I still don’t see any evidence to support the claim that this is God’s organisation. It doesn’t appear to be a biblical teaching. On the contrary, they have taught some very unfair and misleading man made teachings which I must say have not refreshed me.

So in conclusion, ask yourself, are you an apostate? Do you love truth? Do you want to help others find the truth? Are you teaching things contrary to Jesus? Are you teaching refreshing things? If the answer is yes, then well done to you! You are only an apostate to a man made organisation! Who Cares?!

Perhaps the organisation should reassess itself and see whether it has gone down the path of apostasy. Personally, I dislike the pious way in which they condemn supposed apostates, without evening considering where they stand.

This small study has fixed in my mind what an apostate is and whether I am one. I hope you enjoyed reading it. If anyone has any comments or thoughts, please share them.

Many thanks,

Timmy xxx

• Essan
    Essan

Good stuff. I wouldn't bother with the Society's definition of Apostate. Their definition is not Scriptural. Not even close.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Silly Timothy, the Bible is for kids. You need the updated Bible 2.0 with the add on New Light patch updates to get it up to version 2.011. IOW, just read what the WT says these days.

• Jackals
    Jackals

I can't see how casting someone out and abandoning them can ever be the Christian thing to do..but what do I know, I think logically

Jack x

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I have no intention on spreading deceptive teachings contrary to Christ. I’m sure that the majority here do not want to either.

Why is a teaching that is contrary to Christ deceptive? Jesus was the deceiver, promising things he could not deliver and lying about who he was. For the record, I am happy to spread teachings contrary to Christ. Teachings like tolerance.

Anyone who twists the teachings of Christ for whatever reason or who misguides you about his teachings should be avoided.

You say that this isn't you but I'm curious Tim, do you accept the principle? If, for example, you considered me to be someone who twists the teachings of Christ would you avoid or shun me? If so, how does that make you any better than ignorant homophobes who'll have nothing to do with you?

I can't see how casting someone out and abandoning them can ever be the Christian thing to do..

Look harder Jack, division is what Christianity is all about.

..but what do I know, I think logically

An admirable goal my friend, keep working on it.

Nic'

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Amen Timothy.

Stick with the Bible, not the myths of men in Brooklyn.

The Bible does not say:

For whosoever believeth in Him and finds the right organization that God appointed in April 1919 after rejecting all other organizations in 1918, and submits tot heir changing doctrines and goes door-to-door as none of the apostles recommended, and probably never did in spite of misguided teachings on Acts 20:20, and accepts all of their false dates and then the corrected ones, and changing lifethreatening medical commands, MAY be granted a pass at Armageddon and a chance to earn righteousness in the 1000 year reign once they pass a final test to be true to the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Stick with the Bible, not the myths of men in Brooklyn

Riiiight, because the 2000 year old myths of Mesopotamian shepherds, fishermen and seers are so much more reliable

Dump the Bible and embrace the future!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Tim

http://www.giveshare.org/BibleStudy/025.apostate.html

provides a fair answer from a biblical perspective for starters

WHAT IS AN APOSTATE?

We often use "religious" words without knowing their actual meaning. Without thinking, some have used the word "apostate" to refer to anyone who has changed their views on a single doctrine. What is the Bible definition of an apostate?

"Apostate" Defined by the Bible

"Apostate" is translated from apostasia, Strong?s Exhaustive Concordance #646. There are two passages of Scripture using this word:

(1) Acts 21:20-21, " . . . many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs."

This was totally untrue, verse 24, as Paul did not teach anyone to apostatize from the law of Moses.

(2) II Thessalonians 2:3, " . . . for that day (the coming of our Lord verse 1) shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition."

There would be a falling away (apostatizing) from the truth, verse 10, NOT an organization. There would be a leader in this apostasy, the man of sin, opposing the Almighty. Apostates are led into strong delusions, that they should believe a lie. They shall be condemned, verses 11-12. The way to avoid apostasy, verse 15, is to stand fast and hold the traditions which you have been taught.

From these two passages, it is obvious that an apostate is one who has utterly renounced the very foundation of the true faith, not just one who adheres to a doctrinal error (heresy), although departure from any part of the truth can and often does lead to total falling away. Under the Old Covenant, physical circumcision was the very seal of the covenant. Rejecting it would be foundational, like rejecting baptism under the New Covenant. The apostate once knew the truth, but now has "pleasure in unrighteousness" II Thessalonians 2:12. He revels in what formerly his conscience forbade him to do. His conscience is seared, I Timothy 4:1-2. He has deliberately renounced his faith and convictions.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

The Watchtowers definition is self serving. You are not an apostate if you turn against God or the bible but only if you turn against the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society.

In reality it is Corporate Apostasy.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Apostasy: renunciation of a religious faith, abandonment of a previous loyalty, defection - Merriam-Webster

I don't see a problem with the Society's definition of apostate. The problem is, they load the word with propaganda, first. Every JW who converted from another religion is an apostate. All cults treat ex-members like the Antichrist. In JWland, one must belong to their group to be a Christian, so they apply scriptures about people rejecting God and Christ to apostate JWs. It's very self-serving and manipulative; like most cults. They reject Jesus' words:

John said to him: “Teacher, we saw a certain man expelling demons by the use of your name and we tried to prevent him, because he was not accompanying us." But Jesus said: "Do not try to prevent him, for there is no one that will do a powerful work on the basis of my name that will quickly be able to revile me; for he that is not against us is for us". - Mark 9:38-40

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit