The Internet: Viewed by the Governing Body and Former JW's.

by AllTimeJeff 19 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

It's sort of funny how the internet has turned into the bugaboo of the Governing Body's existence. Imagine the nerve of people masquerading as IP addresses, with no congregation Secretary to track back to!

Of course, "apostates/former JW's" have a view of the internet that sometimes isn't all to realistic either. We have all seen the few that have tried to bring the WT down in an act of vengeful hubris.

I don't refer to those whom I think are real stalwarts, like Randy Watters, JW facts and Barbara Anderson to name a few. Not to mention the many moderators of former JW boards (like this one) who keep these JW discussion boards from resembling Vancouver after a game 7 hockey match.

I wonder if anyone has given thought to what the internet has actually turned out to be (aka, reality) as opposed to what the GB and former JW's view it as.

The GB views the internet as a danger. They are correct.

The GB thinks they can keep their flock away from the internet. They are incorrect.

Apostates think they can bring down Jehovah's Witnesses via the internet. They are not correct.

The GB tries to demonize almost every aspect of the internet, esp websites that promote former JW experiences and exposes.

Some apostates use the internet to spread myth's about JW's that aren't true (ritualistic Satan worship at Bethel) instead of exposing the very real and easy facts about JW's that make them dangerous in. (protection of pedophiles, hypocritical stand on blood medicine, and their lies on false prophecies and the behavior of their leadership, past and present) Oh, and they could try and present them in a reasonable manner, but that sometimes is a swing and miss too.

In reality, the internet and what it has become has exposed JW's and the cracks that were already there. Apostates didn't create them. The fact is, JW's and the GB were always happy to embrace any kind of new printing technology. Communication technology is dangerous however, because they instantly lost control of the message.

The issue has always been about the control of the message. During the morse code years prior to the internet, the GB didn't have to worry about Ray Franz. Even when CoC was first printed, most JW's weren't aware of the books existence. Througout the 1980's and into the early 90's, JW grew all over the world at a rapid rate, esp in Western countries. It wasn't until the internet blew up in the mid 90's that those events of 1979-1980 became easily available for the first time. And that is when JW's stopped growing in the West, which has continued to now. While Ray Franz has passed on, it seems that the majority of the sales for CoC the past 15 years have been via the internet. That isn't an accident.

That is why I speak out against the extreme fringe of "apostate" websites. It isn't that they aren't well meaning. Six Screens, like Six Flags, seems like a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, you only end up all wet.

It's time to realize that the internet ISN'T bringing down JW's now, and it won't in the future. JW's are doing that all on their own by holding onto their Flintsone theology and worldview. They are doing it to themselves. The internet is merely a resource for those who start to wake up on their own and need to follow the light out of that cultish cave. Sure, some informative websites like freeminds and jwfacts absolutely help a few. But I am sure that the owners of those sites would admit that they haven't started a movement of any kind, and that their best contribution has been as a resource to those who have already taken their first steps out of the borganization.

The internet for apostates has the same value as it does for anyone else. It brings us closer together. The biggest help it provides former JW's is access to real information. But you can lead a horse to water, you can't make him drink!

I write this tonight because it occurs to me that it is now more apparant then ever that Jehovah's Witnesses got it wrong. 1914? A SHAM PROPHECY. Do we need to picket Brooklyn? No. They are leaving Brooklyn with their tail between their legs. We didn't do that, they did it to themselves.

Their is no point at launching a torpedo at a ship that is taking on water. Get your life preserver on first, then help anyone who wants to float away from the wreck.

The internet is good for hanging out, getting some facts, healing, and moving on. It's a great place for those brave JW's who WANT to think for themselves to start that journey toward freedom. The internet DOESN'T have the power to actually get people to think. And that is the great truth of it all.

JW's and other cults like them (and they are out there, they aren't going anywhere) will always attract those that don't want to think for themselves. You can't help people like that.

Do you want freedom and to accept responsibility for your own life? Then the GB has already lost, and you are on your way to freedom.

Plus, you get to hang out with really cool, mostly anonymous former JW's like me! (lol) Well, if you want to I guess.....

PEACE!

• garyneal
    garyneal

good job

good to see you back, even if only briefly

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Thank you AllTimeJeff for a great post on the internet and the GB. My dad taught me to be a JW was to accept responsibility for oneself. The truth be told to become a JW means you no longer have to be responsible and think for yourself. And I agree their are many who want someone else to do the thinking for them. It took many years for me but I have come to be one who does not need that kind of control. I hope I live long enough to see the JW cult fall apart and be exposed to everyone what they really are. It will take more than what we see on the internet but one day I hope something new will come along and show them to be what they really are. Good job on this post. Totally ADD

• sizemik
    sizemik

Good thread AllTimeJeff . . .

I tend to keep a more open mind as regards the internet. It's an ever-evolving thing rather than static entity. It's been interesting to see more instant public feedback in major mass media on issues of late. I think also the numbers investing in it are growing fast. Sure, it will always be a conduit for information chiefly . . . but it's future influence is not that easy to determine IMHO.

It's a great place for those brave JW's who WANT to think for themselves to start that journey toward freedom.

Nice comment . . . a huge number have benefitted . . . and you're right, it takes no small amount of courage . . . it's good to be reminded of that.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

AllTimeJeff hit the nail on the head...
    The Internet in itself will not bring ANYTHING down, be it some ass-bkwds middle eastern dictatorship or an authoritarian religious sect.
    It is the PEOPLE ON THE GROUND who hurt, suffer, bleed and die who ultimately effect change, the Internet just provides the (relatively) free flow of information.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    That is why I speak out against the extreme fringe of "apostate" websites. It isn't that they aren't well meaning. Six Screens, like Six Flags,
    seems like a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, you only end up all wet.....ATJ

Rick Fearons..

One Man Submarine Band..

Demons and Smurfs hide out in the Basement at Bethel..

So I`m going to Sink the WatchTower/Cause I`m Special!..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

What's the MPG on that thing, Outlaw? I could use a new commuter car!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The inter-net today is acting as a weakening virus to the WTS.

The Info on the Net about the JWS is revealing and damaging for inquisitive people who have a passing interest.

People do make cumulative evaluations about organizations and what they are presenting to the public.

Nice to see AllTimeJeff back posting comments again.......welcome back

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I admit it... I generally don't get into AT Jeff's threads much. That being said, this is an excellent post which I profoundly agree with. The internet is just a tool and it in of itself won't bring down any organization. The hubris of some apostates is astounding indeed. If the WT$ is going to collapse, it will do so on its own accord considering the amount of organizational dry rot that is already there. All that needs to be done on anyone's part here in internet land is to keep spreading the word and exposing the lies instead of fabricating sensationalisms. Like any religion, though, the WT$ will never completely evaporate... at worst it'll just change form and/or downsize...

V665V665

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What's the MPG on that thing, Outlaw? I could use a new commuter car!....Breakfast of champions

The Six Screens Submarine is incredibly fuel efficient..It runs entirely on Hot Air..

Let`s all Protest the WatchTower!..

If we all Protest the WatchTower,the WatchTower Will Fall..And..

Will hurt its Knee..

The Watchtower can`t Stand with a Screwed up Knee!!..

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x3540087/businessman_using_bullhorn_kha05006.jpg

........................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit