What was the worst KH architecture/design you ever saw?

by BoleynGirl 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BoleynGirl
    BoleynGirl

The first hall I attended as a study was built in the 1960s. It was basically an orange brick box with aluminium framed windows. There was no air-conditioning and it heated up like an oven in summer. The lime green carpet and false wood grain panelling on the walls didn't help the ambience either. And despite the congo's best efforts, the parking lot was forever covered in weeds because it was basically just gravel.

Finally the congo decided that this KH didn't really reflect well "Jehovah's people" anymore. This was because the suburb around the hall had become quite prestigious with large surrounding houses. It looked like a soup kitchen for the homeless in comparison. Clearly the Borg was embarrassed. So they sold it and shared another hall instead.

So have you seen any crumbling halls? Ones that have foyers like airport terminals? Or nightclub style lighting?

• St George of England
    St George of England

I remember visiting a KH in the Lake District many years ago, I think it was Keswick or nearby.

It was a converted church but the local council would not allow any changes to the design so it still looked like a church. The only outside change was a small notice board with 'KH of JW's'. Maybe someone on here is from the area and can remember it or post a photo.

George

• dozy
    dozy

Some of the nicest KHs I've seen are the older ones , often converted from other buildings , though there are exceptions.

The early generation of quick build halls (late 80's) were hideous , with dreadful build quality and chronic design. They are somewhat better nowadays , though with the "no window" designs they look strange from outside and lack any natural light.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Portswood KH, Southampton, was always tatty and gave the feel of a Prefab. I am pretty certain it must have been refurbed by now.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

I remember a rented KH that was in a pretty grim stone building off an alley. You had to wear an overcoat in the winter to keep from freezing. The carpet was about 1mm thick and the wals were a ghastly pea green. I'll say one thing, it was so cold in there that no one ever dozed off.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I remember an assembly hall that was newly built with the latest new low flow toilets.

Remember the low-flows? They were suppose to conserve water, but they worked about as well as a partially clogged toilet, one that flushes a little but never completely.

By lunch time that assembly hall stank like a sewer, it was truely awful. By the end of the day every toilet there looked like the last three people hadn't bothered to flush, when in fact people would flush over and over again, and then just give up. To clean the toilets they had to haul buckets of water to pour in the bowl to get them to flush completely.

Brand new assembly hall.

• Diest
    Diest

Not to go counter, but the one in Aspen is the nicest.....I bet the will menlo park that one any day now...visited it on vacatioin long ago.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I remember our hall was pea green - leftover from the 70's. When they updated it in the late 80's, pink was all the rage. So now instead of pea green its peptmol bismal pink.

The Circuit Assembly Hall was a huge box with carpet that ran up the until wall with the print of rocks on it. I was actually sad to see that go cause they replaced it with (you guessed it) pink wallpaper. The rock print was atleast something you could count during those 8 hour meetings. UGH

• designs
    designs

Near LA we had the Classic Taco Bell Kingdom Hall, brown slumpstone block, black wrought iron gates, orange seats and curtains, we just needed a Drive-through to make it Perfect, yikes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit