How to reply to "I want to do more for the truth"?

by gutted 8 Replies latest jw friends

• gutted
    gutted

Hey guys,

A little background first. I have a friend who knows I am inactive, or at least knows I am doing little to nothing for the truth. I get drunk with him occasionally and will have the odd cigar, swear, just regular guy stuff. I know he's fooled around quite a bit with a girl he was dating, to the point of being DFed if he came forward, so I have dirt on him though I would never use it.

Today he texts me the typical JW thinking of "I want to do more for the truth because I am unhappy". I've had these feelings too as JW, it is an engrained idea when things aren't going well. I said he's probably down because of his girl issue (they broke up recently), but he replies "yeah but I want to do more".

I was wondering if you guys had some subtle ideas to tell him that might change his thinking a bit. I'm still on the fence to really tell him anything because I've discussed with another mutual friend that he is quite in it mentally even though he leads a double-life.

I was thinking of saying something like "well do what you think is best", but he doesn't really know what's best for him.

Thanks!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When you are unhappy, many times that is called being depressed.

When you are depressed they say get moving, get going.

Often times any activity of movement will help the depression to a degree.

But that doesnt make the "troof" the "truth".

Maybe he wants to do more with the troof so he can find another sister to fool around with.

In a way doing more of someting is the treatment for depression. And he is on the right track in a sense.

I just have a problem with it being the "troof".

But he has bigger fish to fry at the moment than reality.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

"I want to do more for the truth" is works. To live a double life is what is making him unhappy. He's mentally in an organization, not in a relationship with God. The org might not ever find out but God knows.

Christ has done it for us. When we believe and trust in Him he does the work in us. That's not to say that we don't sin anymore because there is no one without sin. But because we believe in Him we are forgiven of our sins and we gradually are changed. It's a lifelong process.

Look to Christ, not any organization.

But it's probably not the answer you were looking for?

• gutted
    gutted

Well Guest I did look seriously at becoming a Christian when I left and I sympathize with your point. I think it did help me for a time until I became more independant with my thinking but in my case I was actually a pretty upstanding JW at the time and didn't "lead a double-life". Though I think it might be a good route to go with him, I think it would just add more guilt and confuse him further.

For now I think I will question his state of happiness and what truly makes him happy and not focus on religious matters as that can get ugly pretty quick.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Being straight with him could go both ways. Ex:

Gutted- So, your telling me you like to "do more for the truth", even though your actions(fornication, etc.) tell otherwise? Why not "do more for yourself"?

Friend(positive response)- Your right. I need to go on a journey of self-discovery.

Friend(negative response)- Oh no, I don't want to get destroyed at Armaggedon(even though I am a fornicator).

Just ask why he wants to do more for the truth? What does he think he will get out of it?

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

Well he is mentally still attached to the organization. Me, i will never say that. I'm convinced that knocking on doors and giving talks will not bring you closer to Christ and God...the WTBTS would have you believe that slaving for them is what brings salvation, but once you realize that it doesn't you are becoming free. If your friend is REALLY ready to be a good J-Dub, I think he would need to confess (JC hearing) to the brothers his double life...and see if they can mentor him (brainwash him more) so that he is happy again. They may not even DF him, maybe only Public Reproof or something. (especially if he's not married)

Funny how the Society always talks about doing what your circumstances can allow, and in the same breath tell you that you can do more.

• snakeface
    snakeface

Witnesses are brainwashed into thinking that if they are unhappy, it is because they need to do more with the truth, and that will make them happy. Yet most of the human race is not doing anything with the truth, and how many of them are happy?

Happiness is an emotion. If this friend is happy it is because his emotional needs are not being met. He is depriving himself of something he wants, which would fulfill his needs.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Why would God guilt you into wanting to do more for him.....

Funny when a memeber starts feeling Depressed (I don't know why)

They are told it's because you need to do more in the Troof....

There's always room for improvement.......

Tell him to come over have a few Beers ...cigars... Hell Smoke a little Weed.... invite his Girl too... you go to the store to get more beer.....

When you get back you notice her shirt is inside out.......

Smile and ask...........

Now Don't you feel better ?

• gutted
    gutted

LOL @ charlie brown jr. Probably the best way to go!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit