Great Movie - Prayers for Bobby

by jworld 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• jworld
    jworld

I recently saw this movie, Prayers for Bobby, and couldn’t help but see the similarities to what JW youths go through. This story is about a devout Christian woman coming to grips with her son’s homosexuality post his suicide. But the situation could be applied to any JW youth who rejects the “truth”. I couldn’t help but think about how the misaligned thinking of JW’s results in broken families in a similar way, sometimes with similar endings.

This is the original write-up for the movie:

Mary Griffith is a devout Christian who raises her children with the conservative teachings of the Presbyterian Church. However, when her son Bobby confides to his older brother that he may be gay, life changes for the entire family after Mary learns about his secret. Bobby's father and siblings slowly come to terms with his homosexuality, but Mary believes that God can "cure" him. She takes him to a psychiatrist and persuades Bobby to pray harder and seek solace in Church activities in hopes of changing him. Desperate for his mother's approval, Bobby does what is asked of him, but through it all, the Church's disapproval of homosexuality and his mother's attempts to suppress his growing behaviors in public causes him to grow increasingly withdrawn and depressed finally resulting in suicide.

This is the JW version:

Mary Griffith is a devout Jehovah’s Witness who raises her children in the truth. However, when her son Bobby confides to his older brother that he may be gay, life changes for the entire family after Mary learns about his secret. Bobby's father and siblings slowly come to terms with his homosexuality, but Mary believes that Jehovah will "cure" him. She takes him to the elders and persuades Bobby to pray harder and seek solace in spiritual activities in hopes of changing him. Desperate for his mother's approval, Bobby does what is asked of him, but through it all, the witnesses disapproval of homosexuality and his mother's attempts to suppress his growing behaviors in public causes him to grow increasingly withdrawn and depressed finally resulting in suicide.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I recently saw this. I cried, and it made me angry.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Chastity (Chaz) Bono recommends it to all families of gay kids.

Her (his) book is really good, too.

I don't want to cry buckets over real events, but I know I need to see this movie.

Not only am I...(hard to call myself gay, yet, but I am), I am also a mother to one:D

Unlike a lot of moms, I was thrilled when mine came out to me.

It's another thing we have in common.

• White Dove
    White Dove

For straight parents, when their children come out to them it's a major thing they don't have in common.

The parents are thinking of daughters/sons-in-law and grandchildren than may not happen.

And they think of these things while their child is a small child on up to adulthood.

A whole life is altered in a matter of seconds for the parents.

Then, there's the whole thing of their kid having a hard time of it and not being happy.

Parents can contribute a lot in their child's happiness, and gays do go on to lead happy, fulfilling lives with relationships that are healthy and long lasting.

As my lesbian cousin said to me, "It's not about the sex. It's about the loving," the satisfying and loving relationship one has with another.

• chickpea
    chickpea

if you like that one, be sure to see
    " for the bible tells me so" produced
    by daniel karslake, who decided to
    make the documentary after he
    received an email referring to a
    different production dealing with
    the issues between LGBT and
    mainline faith organizations

This is the email a novice television producer named Daniel Karslake received from a boy in Iowa the day after the PBS series “In the Life” aired a segment Karslake produced about Reverend Irene Monroe, an out lesbian theologian at Harvard University. It was 1998.

Last week I bought the gun. Yesterday I wrote the note. But last night I happened to turn on your show and just knowing that someday I might be able to go back into my church, I threw the gun in the river. My mom never has to know."

http://www.forthebibletellsmeso.org/index2.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit