Prom tonight!

by FifthOfNovember 9 Replies latest jw friends

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm a horrible dancer but oh well, I know I'll have fun. I know most people here didn't get to enjoy their senior prom , but did anyone have any parents that let them go? Or were your parents too strict?

I don't have any immediate family that are witnesses, so I've had it really easy compared to most people on the board.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

No, didn't get to go to prom--but I didn't want to. I was pretty socially backward and viewed it as one more opportunity to humiliate myself in public. But I now wish things had been very different. All these little events are like rites of passage. Have fun tonight!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

There was NO way I would have been able to go! good for you! enjoy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I went to my senior prom. My parents were pretty liberal and spiritually weak at that time. I had a good time. My oldest son just went to his junior prom (stag) and he. Said he had a blast. So enjoy. :D

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I didn't go to the prom, but I didn't really want to go anyway. I saw hanging out with the local thugs and hooligans as being cooler for some reason. Even if I did want to go to the prom , it would have been difficult trying to orchestrate such an event without being found out by my parents. It was easier walking out the house with dickies than trying to hide a tux somewhere and changing before coming home later that night.

Regardless of all that though, have fun tonight!!! After its over, you'll be able to reflect on memories that many of us were cheated out of.

edit post: I'm a terrible dancer too!! I dance like I have mild cerebral palsy.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh dear, a black man with no rhythm is so sad. :-/

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Oh dear, a black man with no rhythm is so sad. :-/

LOL, aww you gotta give me a pass though, I came up in an era when it wan't cool to dance. To dance was to be viewed as a sucker. Nowadays the two step is acceptable, which it was back then too, but when I came up it was better to be viewed as Ice Cube than Usher. Nowadays since I'm comfortable in my own skin, I wish I could dance like Usher. He killed Dancing With The Stars, and I wish I could do that. This is for you Mrs.Jones, I loved this song back then.

So I spot a female up to par, jump out my car
    and head straight for the bar.
    As I proceed I got a shove in the back.
    Turned around and said "black, you hopping like your on crack"
    But he was hopping, and spinning so fast, brother put me in a trance.
    mm-mm, I don't dance.

Cant peep out the scene its a damn disgrace.
    Everytime I try a brother slides in my face.
    And I aint with breaking my back
    Trying to impress a girl who ain't giving up jack.
    And I never see you leave with a girl.
    All that sweating dried out your curl.
    Too much ants in your pants.
    I aint hype, thats why I dont dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2QBkTY7cAs

• redsoxfan1393
    redsoxfan1393

Had to miss mine a week ago... Stupid parents....

I don't care about the idea of prom but I was pissed that I couldn't take my best friend who I really like.... It just sucks how restrictive some parents are...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I went to my Junior & Senior proms, with JW dates (also went with one them to their prom).

Although they were long time JWs thru & thru, I'm beginning to see how liberal my parents were about many things.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"LOL, aww you gotta give me a pass though, I came up in an era when it wan't cool to dance." LOL, of course I'll give you a pass. My brother and oldest son suffer the same affliction. :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit