Oprah's Farewell

by 1975 8 Replies latest jw friends

What's your take? I'm impressed in what she has accomplished in 25 years, she deserves such a tribute.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

She completely changed talk shows. I remember her first day vividly. She was very down to earth and delighted to have her own show. You can't compare her to other talk shows hosts.

A very small part of the equation for me is that she could be New Age preachy at times, as though she knew better than others. It was a small flaw compared to her brilliant work. The book club was awesome. She started doing topic shows with viewer call-in - the same as Phil Donohue.

Her biggest asset may be her business acumen. If she had not bought her own show, most of what we enjoyed would not be possible.

I am not thrilled with OWN at all. Her mag is excellent.

Band on the run, she will be missed. A friend of mine said, she doesn't know what to do when the O.W. show is no more. O.W. doesn't just talk, she delivers.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Her ego is just a tad to full for my liking . . remember that bio of hers that got pulled from publication like 24 hours, before it was supposed to be released like ten years or so ago? Wonder where all those copies are?

SW.

I'm not a loyal fan of Oprah, what interest me is her contribution to aid others. Being in the limelight does create an egotistical attitude but that comes with the territory. I personally compare her with all these politicians who claim to do things for their constituents and come up empty handed!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

She helped me through her shows when I left the JWs and I needed advice on simple matters like self esteem, dealing with past problems, aiming for the future etc. Dr Phil's show also did that, although his shows are too negative for my taste these days. I couldn't afford a psychologist or counsellor, had few people I could talk to, so their shows were the next best thing.

I feel she will have to come back with a similar show, but maybe not with her as the anchor.

• talesin
    talesin

Helped millions with Sexual Abuse issues.

Her "Conversations with Oprah" series in the mid-90s was one of the most inspirational weeks of television, EVER, pour moi. She interviewed Elie Wiesel, Nelson Mandela, Maya Angelou, Andrew Vachss and Marianne Williamson.

Through the LA riots and the OJ Simpson trial, gave me a better understanding of the current state of racism in the USA.

Taught millions that READING IS FUN!

She emulated Phil Donahue. He was/is one of her idols, and she freely admits she modelled her show after him (had Marlo and him on last year in a special show and it was VERY touching!).

Proved she can act like nobody's business in The Color Purple, Women of Brewster Place, and Beloved.

The BIG O rocks the planet!

tal

* I think OWN is a flop, though. Just sayin' *

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I am yet to hear anything positive about OWN.

I don't have cable so I'm not even sure if it's available in Australia yet. I hope it doesn't flop, it sounds like she's invested alot in it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Last night with the media blitz I saw a segment where Dr. Phil was interviewed after the taping. He addressed the issue of OWN by saying that it will improve once Oprah can work on it full time. I view this as an admission that it is a critical and ratings flop. She addressed the issues of not much content.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit