Taxi Star Jeff Conway In Coma

by AK MCGRATH 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Just ran across this. The last time I saw him, he was in a celebrity rehab program and looked incredibly horrible. Sad to hear of this news, and it doesn't look hopeful. I used to watch Taxi growing up. Some funny characters.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/05/20/jeff.conaway.struggles.ppl/index.html?hpt=C2

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My heart went out to him on Celebrity Rehab. I lived with agonzing pain for decades. The others did not have to deal with physical pain.

• minimus
    minimus

Taxi was my favorite show.

• designs
    designs

If you want to know how drug abuse or alcohol abuse can end badly then Jeff is a common example. I lost a lot of friends to alcohol abuse. Three of them Witnesses, their livers died about a week before the rest of them did, it is a horrible way to go.

Encourage anyone you know who is having substance abuse problems to get help and try to encourage them all you can.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

The combo of opiates and alcohol are often deadly...the CNS deppressant aspects to both can "sneak up" on someone before they realize they have OD'ed. Derek Boogaard of the New York Rangers just died of an oxycodone/alcohol combo OD. Pain can be very insidious.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Update to previous post:

Dr. Drew Pinsky is reporting that it is not an OD that caused Jeff Conaway's coma...he states that Conaway is in a medically induced coma to treat a severe case of pneumonia.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

My brother-in-law (well, never officially married to my sis) died two years ago from Cirrhosis of the liver. He drank himself to death. He got cancer and as far as I knew him, 18 or so years, he drank.

He would get paid, go to the bar, blow all his money on drinks for himself or his "buddies" at the bar. Then he'd either get in a fight with my sis, beat the crap out of her or go to bed. I can't tell you how many times she'd call saything there was not even $$ for diapers or food. I'd help her out over and over, manily due to my neice, but I was so pissed everytime she'd go back to him. "I LOVE HIM!" she'd yell back at me when I told her she needs to get rid of him. Of course, it would only escalate into an arguement between me and her.

This nonsense continued through their entire relationship. My oldest neice is 18 and her sis 9. They both grew up way too fast due to their father's alcoholism and other factors.

There was a time where my sis & the girls lived with me. Then she went back to him. Then they all lived with me. Then with each other. I couldn't stand the fighting all the time. What a horrible, destructive environment, especially for the innocent ones-the girls!

Now, as with many alcoholics, when they're sober, they're really nice people, but it's hard to deal with a Jeckel & Hyde all the time! Too, I don't know if his alcoholism had such a great affect on my sister, but I swear she is bi-polar. She defin has some mental issue going one. She could certainly push your buttons that would make you want to drink. That is for sure. There were times I felt very sorry for him and wondered how he could put up with my sis, too. Guess that could explain part of the drinking. A vicious cylce of yelling, abuse, absenteeism.

I am sure Jeff Conway was a really great guy at one time. But you know what? Our bodies are made wonderfully. They really are. But when you betray and destroy it over and over and over, it says, That's it! I can't take any more! You win! I give up!

It's such a pity any way you look at it.

UPDATE: I just saw the above comment re Dr. Drew. Thank you. No matter how to came into being in a coma, I am hoping he comes out of it!

• designs
    designs

tensyears-

I hope it is as you report. Addicts are also induced into a coma as treatment for addiction. One young man I knew in rehab had been a Heroin addict since Junior High School and they induced a coma with pharmiceutical grade Opium to help him through withdrawals, they couldn't control the convulsions any other way. Sadly he didn't make it.

• AK MCGRATH
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

That's sad news. I know him as Babylon 5's Zack Allen.

Several of B5's people have died. Rick Biggs, Andreas Katsulas, Tim Choate, and now Jeff Conaway. Sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit