Atheist believe in aliens but not God?

by StopTheTears 68 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

oops! made a booboo

planets which are much smaller than earth.

I should have said bigger, I didn't read the sentence properly. But I got the point, the size is hugely different and there are not Aliens living there, in the Kepler quadrant. It is not a alternate solar system.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Let me be 100% clear on this - I do not believe Aliens come to Earth and abduct us or make patterns in our crops.-cantleave

Ahhhh I see, you must be sane then....

Kate xx

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I do think the OP question is reasonable, the gaps in science can be filled with God and Aliens. The point being we don't have all the evidence to prove either, we are speculating on both.

Hm. I'm not sure that the equivalence implied in that statement is true. We know for a fact that sentient life exists in at least one place. Therefore in speculating whether aliens exist we are simply extrapolating from a known fact based on probabilities aren't we?

We do not however, know for a fact that god exists. All the evidence cited for the existence of a god may equally be explained by other reasons.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I am an Ex JW who acted as a Robot to the WT corporation for 12 years and then finally found the TTATT. Yes, I would say that I was a Robot and not a slave to WT because Slaves do think, even though they don’t have the Power to free themselves.

Upon Exiting the WT I did some extensive research on the Bible, believing there is still some true Religion out there. Amazingly, my respect for the Bible came down like a pack of cards, after my little research, if not fully.

The Scientific errors, Contradictions, Wickedness, Cruelty and a bizarre Human sacrifice to please a GOD, everything is ridiculous.

We all must have seen the movie Shrek, where the main character in it is a talking donkey. I very much loved the movie for that Donkeys' character, which talks and talks and does all mischievous things. But we realize this is a just a movie - an imagination for amusement and I would be a fool if I think that is real.

Similarly, to believe in all those talking snake/Donkey Stories found in the Bible and various other absurd so called miracles, is an insult to my common sense. My basic common sense says that all these are fairy tale accounts, written by some anonymous, ignorant, probably insane writers some where in the Middle East, purely for his or others amusement.

Assuming God created us, He has given us common sense and he expects us to use it. This common sense is what makes us unique from all other species in this world. We use this common sense in almost all aspects of our daily life. But there are millions who detach their common sense, when it comes to religion.

Going and preaching that the Bible is real, is just like preaching that Shrek’s talking donkey is real. I may get some infuriated comments from theists. That’s ok. I vented out my anger that I was fooled by a Corporation for almost a decade. Sorry theists.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Thanks Kate. I also don't really think intelligent life on other planets is a guarantee or even 'likely'. But, in the vastness of the universe given immense almost unlimited amounts of time the possibility is there and not far fetched or 'crazy' to imagine.

I just googled "class M planets" and posted the first link. There are tons of articles on discovered planets that can support life. I don't have time to google and post right now, but if you search it you will find them.

• adamah
    adamah

Going and preaching that the Bible is real, is just like preaching that Shrek’s talking donkey is real.

Animals so too CAN talk! Haven't you ever read Aesop's Fables? That ancient Greek book is FILLED with talking animals!!

Note that the collection of stories in Aesop's Fables was written BEFORE many parts of the Old Testament (was was written about the same time as Genesis' talking snake), having been first written down some 500 yrs BEFORE Jesus walked the Earth. Talking animals were used as a literary device, a way for the author to dispense wisdom without coming off as too preachy, since it was animals who were acting out the roles of a morality play.

As anyone who's seen a Disney movie as a kid can attest, a talking animal holds attention and captivates (unlike a talking homo sapien, since it lacks the magical aspect). Shrek is simply a modern-day version of Balaam's talking donkey; some ideas captivated attention in the past, just as they do now, maybe even moreso in the past, since the listener had to use their imagination to paint the image and was likely more gullible than today's average person.

Adam

• Comatose
    Comatose

I'm pretty sure you are not saying the earth is the only planet in the universe that can support life, a singular and lonely planet. With trillions/quadrillions of planets it's easy to see that our planet isn't likely to be the only planet with a hospitable atmosphere.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

At the original posts comment:

Atheists know that there are no such things as gods as they are described in any holy book (true atheists). Even if there were one, which would it be? There are thousands of them (true agnostics).

Yet, any technologically much-advanced technological race would be considered gods. This happened when Westerners brought over firearms and other 'advanced' technology to the native American tribes. Imagine a race of aliens that can create and traverse worm holes or travel at the speed of light or communicate telepathically - they would likewise be considered gods even though they may be more or less as mortal than us humans.

Atheists do not necessarily "believe" in aliens. They may speculate on their existence and have an educated guess as to whether we will ever contact them but rational people do not blindly believe in specific aliens much less put attributes to them that they cannot scientifically support (which is what religious people do with their gods).

Are there aliens? It is likely given the number of galaxies out there, even if there is only 1 intelligent civilization per galaxy, that would give us hundreds of millions of civilizations. Will we ever get in contact? Probably not. We've only been able to send out signals and listen for a couple of decades and in that time we are doing a good job of eradicating ourselves to the point we may only be able to listen for a couple of centuries. At distances of millions of years to receive signalling and the chance that we'll even make each other understandable, the odds of making contact are very slim even if we do find a world that is hospitable to life.

Also: There were no Israelites in Egypt... ever... as the Bible claims. There is no historical or archeological evidence for the entire nation of Israel being in captivity, an exodus of millions, a nomadic tribe in the deserts of Gaza... NONE! Jerusalem was a small settlement in ~4000BCE (before Noah's flood or the creation of earth according to the Bible). Israel itself as a nation only came in existence ~9th century BCE.

• StopTheTears
    StopTheTears

So far we are the only one with life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit