Which type of "Apostate" is worse? An Atheist/Agnostic or one who joins a New Organized Religion?

by QuestioningEverything 4 Replies latest social current

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Just wondering which kind is worse to active JW's? My Aunt used to be a JW but now she is a Mormon. I used to be a JW but now I am Agnostic.

Think there is a difference on how most JW's feel about this?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I think becoming agnostic or even atheist you are considered spiritually weak and some may even believe with more study, meetings blah blah blah you could be persuaded to go back, but joining Babylon the Great is waaaaaaaay more evil as you have allied yourself with the devil.

• Terry
    Terry

I think the most important issue is one of credible honesty in what we align ourselves with.

Once we adopt the policy of a group and take upon ourselves an identification with that group our integrity is at stake

if we do no due diligence in vetting what valid facts affirm that group.

If we, for instance, joined a club only to discover they were racists it would be incumbent upon us to disavow them as soon as possible

and as strongly as possible.

But, if we simply shrugged our shoulders and said, "I don't go along with THAT part of the group, but, I like the rest of what they stand for"

this would taint us and poison our own credibility.

Being an APOSTATE to a racist group would ge a GOOD thing, would it not?

The Watchtower Society REFRAMES the issue of integrity into one of LOYALTY to leadership.

This is intellectual dishonesty.

Loyalty is not the core issue. Reality in the face of facts is the core issue.

Jehovah's Witnesses rob people of their right to see the world and see life AS IT REALLY IS by substituting a FALSE reality.

It is LOYALTY to this false reality which leadership DEMANDS.

A skeptical believer demonstrates integrity to fact based reality.

A LOYAL believer who questions nothing has surrendered their integrity to mere social pressure and non-identity as an individual.

The true test of a person is how rigorously they demand REALITY in their view of all groups and leaders.

Leaving a group with contempt for reality is the finest demonstration of integrity possible.

APOSTATES to cult membership show a healthy sense of life.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yes there is a difference, but it might not be the same for all JW's.

I think most will see going to Christendom or other religious beliefs as worse- a dog returning to it's vomit.
    Others, in the minority in my opinion, will see atheism as abandonment of spirituality.

Most JW's assume the worst if they think someone has abandoned the truth, so I suppose it doesn't matter for them.

Sorry if I am all over the map. JW to Mormonism- that's whacked.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

'JW to Mormonism- that's whacked.'

Yes, it is and very confusing to me. My aunt seems happy and although I think it was strange to jump from one cult to another, I love her and it's her business.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit