Do JWs really believe that the Spirit gives them the words they need to speak?

by doubtful 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doubtful
    doubtful

The one refreshing thing about JWs is that unlike the Pentecostal denominations and some of the weird evangelical guys..they don't really buy into the whole "gifts of spirit" thing. Witnesses don't fall on the ground and spazz out. They don't spontaneously shout out in an incomprehensible, ficticious language. Nor do they pretend to have miraculous powers of prophecy or healing.

Yet..they do claim that the Holy Spirt and the angels guide them in the ministry. They are told not to worry over the fact that they're uneducated, inarticulate, semi-illiterate, and bashful. They are told that they need not worry about what to say at the door, or how to defend their faith when challenged by "opposers" (read: thinking people asking critical questions). They don't have to fret because God's holy spirit will give them the words they need to say, and the spirit will give them "the power beyond what is normal" to recall to mind vital scriptures.

Some jws excitedly tell stories of when they were able to suddenly recall, with astonishing rapidity and accuracy, verse after verse, bible truth after bible truth...They just KNEW it was Jehovah's active force helping them.."putting the words in their mouth"...praise be to Jah!

Yet, it has been my experience that one's ability to clearly formulate bible based arguments, and articulate biblical concepts at the door, while responding to criticism and opposing viewpoints, is entirely a function of that person's own experience and innate ability. If the JW confronted by another kind of "Christian" is stupid, and their only exposure to the bible and written words in general is limited to Watchtower publications, then chances are they are going to fumble around, deflect, try to change the topic, and basically make an ass out of themselves, until they eventually retreat with their tail between their legs. The more seasoned vets and those with more knowledge and cognitive capability among them however, can sometimes hold their ground and contribute some kind of worthy response to questions and statements from "opposers". Granted, most of their argument does consist of "regurgitated platitudes" (to borrow a line from a fellow poster), half-truths, and unfactual declarations about history, current events, and their organization. But at least they hold their head up high and don't mumble, stammer, avoid eye contact, and tremble.

For those hapless, brain-dead, sufferers of delusions of grandeur who repeatedly embarass themselves in such encounters --- how do they still believe that God gives them the words they need to speak?

When I'm trying to reason with dubs, and they have no honest rebuttal to my rational arguments...and instead resort to obfuscating the issue at hand, or changing the subject and clearly know they're outmatched...I ask them why the Holy Spirit isn't providing them with the words they need to say to make a defense of their faith. I ask them why it is that they can't recall the scriptures they need, while I can.

Naturally, they don't have an answer. Some will say that it's because I'm an opposer and Jehovah and the angels who guide the ministry work don't want to waste the Holy Spirit on throwing pearls to swine. So there's a finite amount of Holy Spirit now?

Essentially they argue that they are only given holy spirit to be able to recall scriptures and are only fed the words they need to speak in order to reach and convince "honest hearted ones", who are "disposed to sayings of everlasting life". So, when confronted with opposers, ridiculers, or those not inclined to agree with them, this miraculous gift from God has no bearing.

Yet the scriptures which concern the idea regarding not "worrying about what to say, because God's spirit will put words in your mouth" say just the opposite. These scriptures indicate that this divine gift was to be used precisely for these very situations! When God's servants were brought before officials of the law or government, and when they were forced to provide a defense in the face of criticism!

Matthew 10:18,19

Exodus 4:12

So the next time you are debating with a dub who has a dumbfounded, bewildered and confused look on his/her face, and you can see that they feel totally out of their depth, ask them that question. Why isn't the Holy Spirit providing them with the words they need to make an accurate defense of their faith? Why can't they recall the scriptures?

And if they resort to the same trick I described above, reference those two scriptures.

Perhaps a select few will see that they have no special power guiding them...and if they are willing to acknowledge this...there is hope for those individuals to wake up.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. - Mat 12:33

If someone has ignored the Bible in favor of the Watchtower, it's no wonder they hem and haw at the door and silently wish nobody will answer. Moses and Jeremiah were reluctant prophets until they had something to say. Once their minds and hearts had been filled with the Word of God, they preached boldly, even when they had a message the recipients didn't want to hear. JWs never bother taking in God's Word, so they have nothing to draw from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit