religious titles

by man in black 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• man in black
    man in black

Back when I was a witness, the normal thing that the society wanted people to do is call members of the congregation by their title

EX : brother xxxx, or sister vvvvv,

fast forward to today. My wife, after leaving the jw religion jumped over to becoming a mormon. Their security blanket is their titles.

For example, when those youmg white shirted boys come over they expect to be called elder xxxx ( a young teenage kid,,, come on)

my wife is always sister ______.

yet they had no problem calling me by my first name only.

whenever I would attend a get together everyone was elder / brother / sister / bishop.

OK

Last week some young kids came over with their mother, and the conversation followed this line :

why hello sister _____, how is brother ____ ?

The kids would always address everyone by brother, sister, bishop, elder.

Yet when I came in, everyone just called me by my first name (even the kids).

To me this sounds like a sort of religious indoctination to children. Everyone who is a member of the church( who has a title) is held up on the platform. If you are not a member, we will just call you by your first name,,,, no MR, or sir, just an eight year old calling me by my name.

Sounds a little strange to me.

• wobble
    wobble

Cults are strange. They are also very rude when it comes to such matters, it is a case of if you are in the cult, be it WT or Mormon or whatever, you will be treated O.K but if not they treat you with disdain.

I am getting this from members of my family who are WT/JW cult-members, simply because we left the cult some years ago we are not treated even as well as other relatives who were never in it ! They are rude, in my opinion, to those relatives too in some ways, but they are rougher on us, to "bring us to our senses" I suppose.

They do not realise that we came to our senses, and left the cult, we treat everybody, even cult members like them , with respect and compassion.

Two words they do not have in their vocabulary.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

It's also a generational thing. I was raised to call older people as Mr, Mrs, "Brother", "Sister"...

These days young people haven't been taught to do that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit