607 wrong using ONLY the bible (and some common sense)

by Witness My Fury 492 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@castthefirststone:

You said you needed a memory refresh where you said 50 years must be rounded up to 70 years. In post 434 you wrote:

djeggnog wrote:

You see, @AnnOMaly totally misunderstood this quote from Against Apion, I, xxi, by claiming that when "this Pharisee" -- Josephus -- stated that "the temple was desolate for 50 years," that he meant that Solomon's temple had lay desolate for only 50 years.

So what are you trying to say with that statement, other than the 50 years are symbolic and must be rounded up to 70 years?

I didn't say I needed any "memory refresh." This is what I had written you in my previous message:

"When did I ever say that anything that Josephus wrote is proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem? Post the message I posted to this thread, so I can read it. I don't recall saying or intimating this at all."

You didn't read the entire post, for had you done so, then you would have realized that I was telling @AnnOMaly that she had wrongly understood Josephus' reference to "50 years" as if what he said in Against Apion contradicted what he said about the temple Antiquities of the Jews, X, ix, about Judah and Jerusalem having been "a desert for seventy years" and in Against Apion, I, xix, about there having been an "interval of seventy years, until the days of Cyrus."

The fact that you understood me to have asserted "that Josephus is proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Jerusalem" means that you suffer from the same reading comprehension disability problem as does @AnnOMaly when Josephus' mention of the Phoenician histories had absolutely nothing at all to do with your assertion about 587 BC and, quite frankly, was a zany conclusion for you to have reached.

The 7th year of Nebuchadnezzar is relevant because it is in the same statement that you use for your theory.

I don't think it is. Did you get to read @AnnOMaly's message in which she includes a quote from a footnote in John Barclay's translation of Against Apion suggesting that Josephus was referring to "the seventh year of the reign of Ithobalos"? At any rate, whatever it was Josephus meant is irrelevant to the point that I was making and you don't get to tell me what is relevant to me.

Can you see the relevance now? Probably not because you are blinded by your ego and cognitive dissonance.

No, I don't. One thing I know for a certainty: You suffer from a reading comprehension disability. You read the same thing in Against Apion that @AnnOMaly read and came away from it thinking that Josephus had said that Solomon's temple had lay desolate for only "50 years." You read "seventh year of the reign of Naboukodrosoros" and have the temerity to tell me that it's somehow relevant to the point that I was making as to the 13-year siege on Tyre that occurred "[i]n the reign of king Ithobalos," but before the reign of Baal, according to Josephus. I don't suffer from "cognitive dissonance," and you should really not use phrases that you don't understand; my "suffering" comes from expecting an apostate to be reasonable. My bad.

djeggnog wrote:

[Cyrus'] first regnal year began in Nisan 538 BC and ended in Nisan 537 BC, but what I took into consideration was the six months that began in Cyrus' accession year, Tishri 539 BC, and ended in Nisan 538 BC. I don't know how exact Josephus was in his reckoning of the length of Eiromos' reign, but I do know that Eiromos' 20-year reign would have come to an end in 533 BC if it was "in the fourteenth year of the reign of Eiromos" that Cyrus "seized power."

You wonder how Cyrus' regnal year allows me to add an [additional] year to Eiromos' reign, but Eiromos reigned for 20 years, and I'm not comfortable counting back from his 14th year, because I don't know how Eiromos' regnal year ran. Tishri 539 BC could have been toward the beginning of Eiromos' 14th regnal year or toward the end of Eiromos' 14th regnal year, so when I add six months that remained in Cyrus accession year, I decided to round up and count 15 years.

Consequently, for Eiromos' reign, I had been subtracting 20 years from "54 years, with 3 months in addition," which from Nisan 538 BC would bring us to 556 BC "with 3 months in addition," so I decided to round up and reckon this additional three months as an additional year and count 16 years. Since Josephus had encapsulated the reigns of the Tyrian kings, I am more comfortable taking, not 14 years, but 16 years of Eiromos' 20-year reign, and adding 4 years to Merbalos, 1 year to Balatoros, 6 years to Myttynos and Gerastartos, 1 year to Ednibalos, Chelbes and Abbalos, and 10 years to Baal, or -539 + (-38), which brings me to the year 577 BC.

@castthefirststone wrote:

I see your super duper speech recognition dictating software is acting up again. You again assign the end of Eiromos' reign to 533 BC. Which is it 533 or 535? While you are at it, say the numbers 5 3 5 and 5 3 3 out load and hear how ridiculous your assertion is that it's a misquote or typo.

What's "acting up again"? Your reading comprehension disability is really what is at work here, for notice that a hypothetical is being expressed by the words in red:

"I don't know how exact Josephus was in his reckoning of the length of Eiromos' reign, but I do know that Eiromos' 20-year reign would have come to an end in 533 BC if it was 'in the fourteenth year of the reign of Eiromos' that Cyrus 'seized power.'"

You left the land where lurkers live to join live debate on JWN, but it was a mistake for you to think that you could come out of the shadows and take me on, knowing before any of us here did that you suffer from this reading comprehension disability that has now been exposed, and now you're out here on your own lobbing stupid insults thinking that they will help you win arguments. It's now likely that I will start ignoring your messages because I'm afraid I'm going to discover that this disability is not really your fault, but due to the fact that you are mentally ill or really stupid.

@djeggnog wrote:

When did I ever say that anything that Josephus wrote is proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem? Post the message I posted to this thread, so I can read it. I don't recall saying or intimating this at all.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

Yikes! Early onset Alzheimer's, eggie? You're real forgetful. Perhaps you ought to print the following out and stick it on your computer screen so you'll be reminded of what you've already written, thereby avoiding further humiliation. (Btw, bold emphasis mine.)

From eggieface post #451, p. 24:

[castthefirststone formerly] The issue really is: Can Josephus be used to disprove conventional chronology, when you have to rely on the same conventional chronology to get to the start of Cyrus' rule?

[djeggnog] Yes, and Josephus can also be used to provide another measurement to determine about when it was that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre

Where in this clip do I suggest that something that Josephus wrote was proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem? I don't see it; enlighten me.

From eggieface posts #433, p. 22, and #434, p. 23:

[Ann formerly] End of Tyre's siege - 594 BC according to you. 594 - 577 = 17 YEARS LONGER THAN JOSEPHUS' CALCULATION! Therefore, you cannot use his Tyrian king list to support your argument, can you?

[djeggnog] Why shouldn't I? Because this happens to be a kinglist that doesn't fit your notion that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587/586 BC? I don't have a problem relying upon the Tyrian kinglist provided in Josephus' Against Apion, I, xxi, and I do appreciate that Josephus poses a big problem for you and for all of you for whom 587/586 BC is so precious.

Where in this clip do I suggest that something that Josephus wrote was proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem? What I say here is that it is "your notion that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587/586 BC."

From eggieface post #430, p. 21:

[CTFS formerly] Now if you are really as well intentioned as you profess to be, please provide a summary with verifiable proof of how you get to 607 BCE. Not paragraph after paragraph of this nonsense.

[djeggnog] The only "verifiable proof" I will provide in response to the request you make for a summary of how I arrive at the year 607 BC is citations from the Bible and a quote from Josephus' Against Apion. ... with indicates that it was during the reign of Ithobalos that Nebuchadnezzar's 13-year siege against Tyre took place. If Baal's reign as king of Tyre began in 577 BC after the reign of Ithobalos ended, then Nebuchadnezzar's 13-year siege ended during Baal's reign, which cannot be the case for such a conclusion would be in conflict with Josephus' recitation of Phoenician secular history (as quoted above).

... But if Nebuchadnezzar died in 562 BC as secular history asserts, then when the siege on Tyre ended in 574 BC, some 13 years after it began in 587 BC, Baal's ten-year reign would had begun, which contradicts the Phoenician timeline

Where in this clip do I suggest that something that Josephus wrote was proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem? Here I point out to you hypothetically that "if Nebuchadnezzar died in 562 BC as secular history asserts, then when the siege on Tyre ended in 574 BC, some 13 years after it began in 587 BC, Baal's ten-year reign would had begun, which contradicts the Phoenician timeline with indicates that it was during the reign of Ithobalos that Nebuchadnezzar's 13-year siege against Tyre took place." Josephus doesn't write anything specific with reference to 587 BC, but I merely point out here that what you believe about 587 BC doesn't fit the Phoenician timeline.

From eggieface post #407 way back on p. 14: (gotta love the grammar on this one LOL)

What things Josephus wrote regarding this 70-year period of Jewish exile is at odds with your anti-God viewpoint

, so it isn't because you cannot believe what Jehovah's Witnesses have concluded as to destruction of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar's armies occurring in 607 BC, and it isn't because you care one wit about history. It's just that you don't want to believe what Jehovah's Witnesses have concluded based on the prophesies of Jeremiah and Daniel, which conclusions find support in some of what things Josephus wrote.

Where in this clip do I suggest that something that Josephus wrote is proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem? Please enlighten me. (I do love the grammar on this one.) You included four (4) clips from previous posts, and yet not one of them prove that I had either suggested or intimated that something written by Josephus was proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem, so why did you do this, @AnnOMaly? Do you even know why? Only members of your cult that are morons would applaud your efforts here in including these four clips that do not prove what only they could be persuaded by you -- their hero, their champion -- they prove. This was a silly stunt on your part, @AnnOMaly, and you get no respect from me for this attempt at deflection.

@djeggnog

• Witness My Fury
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

[djeggnog] You included four (4) clips from previous posts, and yet not one of them prove that I had either suggested or intimated that something written by Josephus was proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem

Oh eggie, why do you go to such extraordinary lengths to further demonstrate your idiocy?

[CTFS formerly] The 7th year of Nebuchadnezzar is relevant because it is in the same statement that you use for your theory.

[djeggnog] I don't think it is. Did you get to read @AnnOMaly's message in which she includes a quote from a footnote in John Barclay's translation of Against Apion suggesting that Josephus was referring to "the seventh year of the reign of Ithobalos"? At any rate, whatever it was Josephus meant is irrelevant to the point that I was making and you don't get to tell me what is relevant to me.

If Josephus really did mean to say that the siege of Tyre began in Neb's 7th year, then castthefirststone's original point stands, namely that,

"With the information in front of you, you have to conclude that Josephus believed that the siege on Tyre started 11 years before the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem or that the 7th year is incorrect but this brings all the other quoted years into question. If the siege started before the destruction of the temple then your theory falls flat on it's face and it doesn't matter that your theory states that Baal started his reign in 577 BC."

On the other hand, if you believe that the Latin text Katzenstein refers to is the correct rendering and interpretation, i.e. that it was the "seventh year" of Ethbaal's reign when the Tyrian siege began, it still does nothing to help you with your fabricated time-line:

1. Katzenstein synchronizes Ethbaal's 7th year with Neb's 20th year, whereas you would have Ethbaal's 7th year sync with Neb's 18th which, incidentally, means you'd have Neb besieging two major cities in the same year, possibly even at the same time!

2. You still have to account for the extra 17 years you insert in the Tyrian king list between the end of the siege in Ethbaal's reign (your 594 BC) and Baal's accession to the throne (your 577 BC). If you think Ethbaal was allowed to continue his rule, you then have to explain which Tyrian king was deported to Babylon and attended Nebuchadnezzar's Court as testified in the cuneiform record. Otherwise, you have to explain who was ruling during those 17 gap years and why Josephus didn't include this in his calculation.

Give it up, eggie. You have no limbs left - like the Black Knight from Monty Python's 'Holy Grail.'

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Sorry about all the italics - no matter how I try, the post won't format the way I want. This board's becoming glitchier by the week

• castthefirststone
    castthefirststone

@djeggnog
    Your insults mean nothing here, just as your opinion without proof means nothing. The insults that you hurl only reveal your level of desperation. Not to worry I am not going anywhere. Whenever you post your nonsense here, there will be more than enough candidates to defend the truth and to point out your lies.

You asserted that my reading skills are at fault and I didn't understand what you wrote. I apologise if I didn't understand what you were trying to say. I have to admit, I still don't understand.

@djeggnog wrote:

"I don't know how exact Josephus was in his reckoning of the length of Eiromos' reign, but I do know that Eiromos' 20-year reign would have come to an end in 533 BC if it was 'in the fourteenth year of the reign of Eiromos' that Cyrus 'seized power."

Are you trying to say that Eiromos' reign would have started in 533 BC if Josephus wrote that Cyrus seized power in his fourteenth year? What exactly did Josephus say about the Eiromos' reign and how it relates to Cyrus? Which is it, because I really don't understand what you were hypothetically trying to say? Please tell us in plain and simple English so that my dyslectic (your assumption) brain can understand it.

You also didn't address my question regarding what your theory about the Phoenician kings is trying to prove? You rather chose to tell us that we are misunderstanding your ambiguous statements. Fine, according to you we are dyslectic; so please spell out to us: What you are doing on this forum and what are you trying to prove?

@AnnOMaly

Thank you for posting the explanation of the 7th year of Nebuchadnezzar from Barclay. It is a plausible explanation. As you predicted it doesn't serve djeggnog's needs. He chooses that it's not relevant to him so best he ignores it. He even suggests that we must follow his lead and train our cognitive dissonance avoidance skills. I wait in anticipation to see how he responds to your previous post and with what new devious statements he comes up with to get him out of the hole he has dug for himself.

• castthefirststone
    castthefirststone

My apologies, I made an error in my previous post.

I said

Are you trying to say that Eiromos' reign would have started in 533 BC if Josephus wrote that Cyrus seized power in his fourteenth year?

But I meant to say: Are you trying to say that Eiromos' reign would have ended in 533 BC if Josephus wrote that Cyrus seized power in his fourteenth year?

• wantingtruth
    wantingtruth

Witnes Your Fury , (you have all rights to do so)

would you believe that God doesn't want us to fill our mind with ancient chronology and datas ?

try to understand this !

After studying the Bible I came to see/realize that God have ever known that He wrote regarding ancient events in an “hidden way” ( Proverbs 25:2 ), and so, He didn’t command to his worshipers to find the real/exact chronology or data of events of human history and its empires and states from Adam until today
    in case He would command this , knowing how difficult is to come to a conclusion in chronology and how much time it requires , then God’s worshipers would be called “historians” not “Christians”

But now , though, a certain “chronology” there is , and God does invite us to understand it , even in order to “know the judgement”

Ecclesiastes 8:5 Whoso keepeth the commandment shall know no evil thing;
    and a wise man’s heart discerneth time and judgment

Yes , it is a good thing to know the time of God’s judgement
    here are Jesus words / Luke 19
    41. And when he drew nigh, he saw the city and wept over it,
    42. saying, If thou hadst known in this day, even thou, the things which belong unto peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
    43. For the days shall come upon thee, when thine enemies shall cast up a bank about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
    44. and shall dash thee to the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another;
    because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

here we are able to see that is a good thing to be able to recognize the time of our “visitation” >> that implies a few knowledge of “chronology”

BUT what chronology ?

The chronology God requires from us to search for, is part of prophecies regarding “God’s people during the latter days” , as He said to Daniel
    chapter 10
    14. Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall
    – thy people
    – in the latter days;
    for the vision is yet for many days:

It follows that the chronology God is requiring from us/His worshipers to search for, is in fact the chronology of the latter days !

Here is a research on the “latter days chronology” , as I was able to put it in english:

http://reslight.net/forum/index.php/topic,1207.0.html

wantingtruth

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

We will likely hear more on this matter tomorrow night, when the full moon is out!

Bill

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

By now, everyone on this website will have either read or become acquainted with the article contained in the Watchtower, dated November 1, 2011, that included some mention of VAT 4956, which I deliberately didn't mention in any of my posts associated with the 607 BC controversy. I have read this thread and think a lot of good research was done. The ensuing "witch hunt" surrounding John Steele's reply to Alleymom's email added a bit of intrigue that unfortunately diverted from the points made in the November 1, 2001 article regarding VAT 4956.

Now I have no interest and won't in this post be going into any of that VAT 4956 material, since after reading 14 pages in the "WT Nov. 1, 2011 (public) - When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed - Part 2" thread, and Carl Olaf Jonsson's 22-page response to Parts 1 and 2 of this article, I don't think anything would be served by my commenting on VAT 4956 or Jonsson's article, which concludes that "[t]he article turns out to be nothing but a desperate and dishonest attempt to defend a date that simply is indefensible," and says nothing at all about VAT 4956.

In this article of Jonsson's where he references another of his article entitled "Part V: Were there unknown Neo-Babylonian kings," Jonsson opines that "[a]n examination of [Rolf] Furuli’s revisions, however, shows them to be just another failed attempt to get rid of the historical reality as attested by VAT 4956." Nevertheless, I contend that Jerusalem had begun to lie desolate on Tishri 1, 3155 AM, which is September 27, 607 BC, Julian, September 20, 607 BC, Gregorian, and here's my reasoning:

It would appear to have taken some five months for the news of the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem by the Babylonians to reach the prophet Ezekiel, for according to 2 Kings 25:8, it was "in the fifth month, on the seventh day of the month," or, in other words, on Ab 7, 3155 AM, August 5, 607 BC, Julian, July 29, 607 BC, that Babylon's siege on Jerusalem occurred, at which time Zedekiah was deposed as Babylon's vassal king and Gedaliah was installed by Nebuchadnezzar as governor of Judah (2 Kings 25:7, 22, 25).

However, some two months after the assassination of Gedaliah in the "seventh month" of Tishri, 3155 AM, where Tishri 1, 3155 AM, would correspond with September 27, 607 BC, Julian, September 20, 607 BC, Gregorian, the land of Judah was left completely desolate by the Babylonians as had been foretold by the prophet Jeremiah to fulfill "the devastations of Jerusalem" (Daniel 9:2), which, according to 2 Chronicles 36:21, was during Nebuchadnezzar's 19th accession year, or his 18th regnal year, "until the land had paid off its sabbaths ... seventy years."

Now there is nothing in Scripture to indicate that the festival of ingathering that was to be celebrated on Tishri 15-21, 3155 AM, October 11-17, 607 BC, Julian, October 4-10, 607 BC, Gregorian, was ever celebrated. In fact, no mention of the Atonement Day sacrifices that were to be made on Tishri 10, 3155 AM, October 6, 607 BC, Julian, September 29, 607 BC, Gregorian, is made either. What we do know though is that the land of Judah had been made to lie desolate at some time during the "seventh month" between Tishri 1 and Tishri 10.

When reading 2 Chronicles 36:21, however, the question that of necessity arises is when was Nebuchadnezzar's 19th accession year, his 18th regnal year? In his Antiquities of the Jews, Book X, chap. 9, par. 7, Flavius Josephus agrees with the Bible in stating that it was in Nebuchadnezzar's 18th regnal year, after Gedaliah's assassination, when "all Judea and Jerusalem, and the temple, continued to be a desert for seventy years."

An inscription contained in the Nabonidus Chronicle reads: "Babylon fell VII/16/17," indicating that the date of Babylon's fall occurred on Tishri 16, 539 BC. ("VII/14/17" meaning: Tishri, the seventh Hebrew month, the 14th day, in the 17th year of Nabonidus' reign, wherein Belshazzar, as coregent, had ruled in Babylon since 556 BC.) Ezra 1:1-3 indicates that it was "in the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia" -- Cyrus' first regnal year ran from Nisan 538 BC to Nisan 537 BC -- that Cyrus caused a decree to go out to the Jews to "rebuild the house of Jehovah the God of Israel," which means that what the Nabonidus Chronicle tells us is that Cyrus' accession year occurred in 539 BC.

Since Ezra 3:1 indicates that it was "after seventy years" in the "seventh month" of Tishri 537 BC -- the same month in which the land of Judah suffered desolation "without inhabitant" living in any of the cities of Judah as had been foretold by the prophet Jeremiah -- that the repatriated Jews had returned to their cities (Jeremiah 25:11, 12; 29:10; 33:10), and Ezra 3:6 states that "from the first day of the seventh month," that is to say, on Tishri 1, 3225 AM, September 4, 537 BC, Julian, August 29, 537 BC, Gregorian, the repatriated Jews began to offer sacrifices at God's altar in Jerusalem. This means that this 70-year period would have come to an end on Tishri 1, 537 BC, following the commencement of Cyrus' first regnal year.

x = 537 BC

x = x (+ -70)

x = 607 BC

Thus, by subtracting 70 years from 537 BC, we can deduce based on (1) the Bible, (2) Josephus and (3) the Nabonidus Chronicle that the land of Judah had been made to lie desolate by Babylon on or about Tishri 1, 3155 AM, September 27, 607 BC, Julian, September 20, 607 BC, Gregorian, which is when this 70-year period would have commenced.

@djeggnog

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Really? I mean come on! After 6 months and several months late for the November article(s) discussions you even bother to shove your nose in here again?

Offering what exactly? Nothing new that's for sure. Same old same old...

Why are you even here on an apostate forum? Don't like being told what to do by the GB? But you appear to like being told what to THINK by them though?

You are very odd indeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit